What's new

Does synthetic brush like my brand new Simpson chubby 2 require break-in period?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There may be a very slight loosening of the knot over time I suppose but as stated above there is no breaking in and no soaking required. The Simpson is my favourite synthetic, it has great backbone but can be difficult to splay if that is how you try to use it. I start the splay on the point of my chin and go from there. Start with quite a dry brush and repeatedly dip just the tips to add water. Once it gets going it is great but it is a different lathering process to my badger brushes.

Thanks for all the kind advice.
I like to press in to lather in circular motion but Simpson seems to advise against that, they mentioned painting stroke that I'm not used to.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks for all the kind advice.
I like to press in to lather in circular motion but Simpson seems to advise against that, they mentioned painting stroke that I'm not used to.
There is a lot of debate about this and opinions are divided. I have swirled all my brushes, including many Simpsons, for years and have never had a problem. I suspect that a synthetic is more resilient than a badger so I say carry on swirling! Don't worry about it too much just do what gives you pleasure, that is what the brush is for. It also makes lather, but enjoyment comes first for me.

Synthetics do break in some with usage. Typically the knot becomes a little looser.

Aggressive swirling, especially with pressure, can damage a synthetic brush. I have seen it happen myself and shortened the lifespan of an Omega Syntex by doing so. The fibers can tangle and then snag, similar to a horsehair brush. It won't happen all at once, but gradually over time that kind of rough handling can damage the brush.

Only use the tips of the brush to load and lather. With a synthetic, bowl lathering is far more gentle on the brush.

Last edited:
There is a lot of debate about this and opinions are divided. I have swirled all my brushes, including many Simpsons, for years and have never had a problem. I suspect that a synthetic is more resilient than a badger so I say carry on swirling! Don't worry about it too much just do what gives you pleasure, that is what the brush is for. It also makes lather, but enjoyment comes first for me.

I see, I only afraid I'm doing damage to my brush. I do admit Simpson chubby 2 synthetic required more cream to lather up compared to my smaller Muhle Synthetic brush.

I would say you can swirl away, but just don't put too much pressure on when you do. Any such extreme actions might possibly damage a brush, especially one with natural bristles; moderation in all things.

I would say you can swirl away, but just don't put too much pressure on when you do. Any such extreme actions might possibly damage a brush, especially one with natural bristles; moderation in all things.
Thanks for your advice.
Think I had damaged my MuhleSynthetic silvertip as I always press in hard in circular motion. 😢

While you should expect years of use out of brushes, they can and do change over time, eventually degrading to the point you might not like using them. "Damage" is therefore relative.

Don't forget the important thing is to enjoy your brushes. Be cautious, but not obsessive. When you buy a high end brush, you are buying a luxury experience, not a family heirloom.

Last edited:
Simpson's say that it is the tips of a brush that make the lather. Since reading that, I gently load lightly with the tips, and use the tips to great the latger. It works well for me.
I make the lather in a bowl, then continue on my face, using the tips to rough up the lather. This raises my beard and the result is a very close shave after 2 passes, especially under my jaw without going ATG. I had not realised the difference massaging your face with the tips made to your shave.

My Simpson Chubby 2s in synthetic are my favorite brushes. I mash them (hard) and swirl to build lather (I face lather with a shave stick), then finish with painting motions for a smooth final lather before shaving.

There may be a very slight loosening of the knot over time I suppose but as stated above there is no breaking in and no soaking required. The Simpson is my favourite synthetic, it has great backbone but can be difficult to splay if that is how you try to use it. I start the splay on the point of my chin and go from there. Start with quite a dry brush and repeatedly dip just the tips to add water. Once it gets going it is great but it is a different lathering process to my badger brushes.
Got mine today will do first shave tomorrow morning

Top Bottom