What's new

Does Stirling cause skin irritation for anyone else?

For years I’ve avoided soap with lanolin because after using Stirling and having a reaction I thought I was allergic to it. Come to find out, it’s something else that Stirling uses that causes my skin irritation and I can use other soap with lanolin without a problem.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so did you ever figure out what was causing the negative reaction? It seems like if I use their soap for more than a day or two in a row, I start to see and feel minor red patches here and there. I always discontinue use as soon as they appear, and within a day or two they’re gone.

For years I’ve avoided soap with lanolin because after using Stirling and having a reaction I thought I was allergic to it. Come to find out, it’s something else that Stirling uses that causes my skin irritation and I can use other soap with lanolin without a problem.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so did you ever figure out what was causing the negative reaction? It seems like if I use their soap for more than a day or two in a row, I start to see and feel minor red patches here and there. I always discontinue use as soon as they appear, and within a day or two they’re gone.
I have very sensitive skin. I can use many Stirling soaps. First thing, H’s dad is correct. Second thing, make sure it’s not mentholated. Last thing, try a few unscented bases from them (Sheep and Unscented Beeswax).

For 8 dollars and shipping, it’s worth it in my opinion.

One side note, citrus oils are always tough on skin - keep in mind what orange oil can clean…

Oh I do fine with menthol, I buy it from Amazon and use an inexpensive pepper grinder to add it to everything. I also like using the PAA mentholated Cube applied as a pre-shave once in a while.

I’ll check out the oils. I’ve never had a problem with anything else ever, so it’s pretty puzzling.

I've never suffered from redness as such but I am prone to getting a light burn/tingle from most soaps. This is particularly the case with contemporary/artisan type soaps/croaps but it doesn't seem to matter if the soap is vegan, lanolin or tallow based or if it is scented or unscented....

To be fair, it is never a painful sensation but it is noticeable. Fortunately there are a few soaps and creams that are utterly benign to my skin so they are the ones I gravitate towards: Proraso Red, Proraso Green and Cella Bio.

The fragrance in Sharp Dressed Man is the only shave product that truly lit up my face (a few others give me a slight reaction). I find lanolin is terrific For the old mug.

I have had it with Baker Street. I currently only have Stirling’s Sheep (unscented) and that feels great to my skin!

I have only gotten full blown irritation from one, Bergamot and Lavender. And that started as a tingle but about five shaves in was a full on burn that lasted several hours. I have noticed, though, that most Stirlings leave me a little itchy, some more than others. Doesn't seem to correlate to essential oils versus fragrance either. The sheep base is worse for me. I didn't really pay much attention to it until I started trying other soaps which *didn't* make me itch. Coming back to my Stirlings it is way more noticeable to the point that I avoid them. I guess I've tried 10 or 12 different scents.

I suspect it may be the lanolin, and I may be getting more sensitive to it. I tried a sample of another soap (Mammoth) with lanolin and it had a similar effect...I couldn't wait to rinse it off my face.

At some point I will buy Unscented with Beeswax and see how that goes. I still buy a lot of EDTs from them, great company and good customer service, and from a performance standpoint their soaps are hard to beat.

I have a Stirling Glastonbury Sheep soap. I really like how it performs but yes, I have noticed a little tingle on day 2. I make my own hand soap from time to time and my Stirling reminds me of what I would call a "hot" soap, not cured long enough for the lye to cure out. Typically with my hand soaps, it just means I need to let the soap cure another month or so. I am not saying this is the case with Stirling but I would suggest putting the soap aside for a month or so and see if that helps. I have had this same sensation with B&M Bay Rum but letting it cure has not changed it. With the B&M Bay Rum, I just don't use it multiple days in a row and once it is gone I plan to try some Bay Rum from another artisan. I have not had any issues with other B&M soaps.

Barbershop got me. I didn't like the scent anyway, so it was no big deal to send it to the trash.
I do like the Eucalyptus Mint and have had no problems with that one but I don't use it often either.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As has been noted, some of us react to the ingredients used to give the soaps their various scents. I switched to mostly unscented soaps after I had a severe reaction to a very popular artisan soap. It wasn't the soap's fault. I have psoriatic arthritis and it spills over onto my face, unfortunately. There are several that are outstanding.

I know many of you, perhaps most, love the fragrances. The soap and after shave fragrances are a significant part of many people's shaves. I am a bit lucky there. I have a poor sense of smell so going unscented doesn't impact the pleasure of wet shaving for me. ;)

I have really sensitive skin but Stirling hasn't given me any issues. It is a very thirsty soap mind you and I do react to soaps that haven't had enough water added. Could be a thirsty issue maybe.

Maybe try a vegan soap as well? I've heard that tallow based soaps bother some people. I have Margaritas in the Arctic and it's one of my favorite soaps. Shaved the other day with it and had zero issues and I have relatively sensitive skin.

Maybe try a vegan soap as well? I've heard that tallow based soaps bother some people. I have Margaritas in the Arctic and it's one of my favorite soaps. Shaved the other day with it and had zero issues and I have relatively sensitive skin.

I've not come across tallow being an irritant.
Where did you read about this?

From my understanding, tallow is actually very good for the skin due to its fatty acid composition.
Similar to butters, which are also amazing for the skin.

I've not come across tallow being an irritant.
Where did you read about this?

From my understanding, tallow is actually very good for the skin due to its fatty acid composition.
Similar to butters, which are also amazing for the skin.
Yeah, I'd say it's something like a dermatitis brought on by the fragrance oils? Scent is usually the first suspect in these cases or some odd ingredient, maybe look for a common ingredient if it happens with other soaps? Could it be a sort of allergic reaction(contact dermatitis) to Lanolin rather? Typed this out earlier, swore I thought I had read something about Tallow once not Lanolin, losing my mind.You mentioned Lanolin, and you crossed that out so? The Lanolin reaction is pretty rare at that even. Yeah, Tallow is usually something that heals dryness and redness, used to help with eczema...

Reactions: nav

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Some of their soaps are very strongly scented, which is one of the appeals of an artisan soap for some people. Try some of the lighter (citrus) scents or the unscented.

I had a reaction to their Barbershop scent but Scot's Pine Sheep is fine to my skin. Also a lot better than their regular tallow base ;)

Top Bottom