What's new

Does size really matter?

Technically a large blade razor will last longer than a smaller blade although if you're careful with honing, it will be many years for both. I've owned straight from 3/8 up to 10/8 but my sweet spot is around 6/8.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I prefer razors less than 5/8. They are lithely, easy to maneuver, quick to hone and strop and the amount of soap they hold is a non factor. I always figures the size of a man’s razor was inversely proportional to a fellows manhood 😂

Bigger and heavier the better for me.....i like a fast, couple swipe shave and dont like to fiddle around....although i believe one should have all sizes to choose from depending on the mood and day :c1:

For me there is a considerable difference between blade sizes, and though I own quite a few 5/8's blades, I am no longer acquiring them as there is a considerable difference in how the blade cuts through my beard in the dense areas around my chin. I find that I must exert some effort to get a 5/8's to glide through the whiskers whereas it is much easier due to the weight of the larger blades. I am mostly acquiring 7/8's and 6/8's now.

Ironically, Brad Maggard provided this perspective when I bought my first 7/8" (Ralf Aust) from him and while they seem to be more on cruise control once you get them moving, they cut through dense whiskers without having to make multiple passes in the same direction.

I’ve never used a large 7/8 blade. Most of mine are 5/8, though I have a W&B that I think is 6/8 I need to clean up and hone to try out.

Coincidentally, I think a 7/8 would be an utter pain to shave my top lip with. Heck 5/8 is bad enough I hate having to angle my blade so step to get under my nose. To me 5/8 feels right, though I look forward to one day getting my W&B cleaned and shave ready to take it for a drive.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve never used a large 7/8 blade. Most of mine are 5/8, though I have a W&B that I think is 6/8 I need to clean up and hone to try out.

Coincidentally, I think a 7/8 would be an utter pain to shave my top lip with. Heck 5/8 is bad enough I hate having to angle my blade so step to get under my nose. To me 5/8 feels right, though I look forward to one day getting my W&B cleaned and shave ready to take it for a drive.
My preference is a 9/16. I don’t believe I even have a 6/8 any longer. 4/8 runs second followed by 5/8. I had a 7/8 but sold it after a couple of shaves. Aside from beauty, I’ve found no benefit from large blades.

I currently use blades from 7/8 down to 4/8. For me it’s all about how good the steel is about holding a sharp, smooth edge. I own eight razor and have different shapes and grinds. As long as they’re sharp and smooth. Size really doesn’t matter to me. I can maneuver with a large blade as well as a small one on my face. Two Of my sharpest and smoothest blades are the most expensive down to the least expensive. A stainless steel Boker 5/8 Which I bought for $50 new on eBay and Thiers Issard Damascus 6/8 which I won’t bother with mentioning the price that I paid for that blade. Both of these blade, I just touch hairs and they slices them and they hold their edge for quite some time. I did order a 8/8 Boker recently But I’ve never shaved anything that size before. I don’t have any problem With the current sizes and grinds that I have right now. Except an old Sheffield Steel wedge I own. For me, It just depends on the sharpness of the blades And how easily they can cut hair.

Last edited:
I'm with you sexy beast. My forst razor was 4/8 then 1 year later I bought a 7/8"; blade size isn't an issue. As long as they are sharp I don't mind. Aesthetically I find a larger blade more appealing, but most of my razors are 6/8"

Top Bottom