What's new

Does shaving cream in a can work just as well as shaving soap?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Stuff works for me when I use it. Best tip I can share is to work it in over warm, wet whiskers. But these days, when truly pressed for time (or feeling exceptionally lazy), I usually opt for Elegance Plus gel.

When I try out any other shaving cream or soap,
the first hurdle of judgment that it has to clear is
"Is this as good as Barbasol ?"

I do the same with Arko. My first hurdle of judgment is
"Is the residual slickness of this soap as good as Arko?"

If the answer is no after three consecutive tries I bin the soap. Regardless of cost or post shave splendor. I don't care if the list of ingredients include magical goat milk and Matsutake mushrooms. No exceptions allowed. Ever.

I have yet to find a can of goo that meets this minimum requirement.

My recommendation is to get a good boar brush (like a Semogue 1800 for less than $20) and a puck of good soap (like Stirling Barbershop for about $10), take them for a drive, and report back on what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to be honest…this is extremely solid advice.

Here is a picture of Stirling Iced Pineapple when properly lathered with what I think was a Semogue brush.

Vr

Matt
43CEC7A2-6DD3-4598-AE1E-4FFD2DFBB842.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In the 1950s and 60s, men shave with DE razor and canned foam. Heck even the barbers use shaving foam.
Not me. I tried canned goo for three or four shaves. I/it failed so I threw it out and went back to my face lathering with a Palmolive stick and brush.

Reactions: Anu
I started using real soap and brush long before I started using a Straight. I suffered from constant irritation in my neck and also ingrowns. Using a soap and brush went a long way to resolving the issues.

I honestly think it's because the action of brushing on the lather, and working it in, prepares the skin and whiskers better.

Reactions: Anu

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I got my Tabac as thick as canned foam this morning (not what the SR guys prefer), but it was SOOOO much slicker than canned foam. No comparison. And you can hydrate it even more if you like. I’m not a SR guy, but from what I read from them the can won’t make you happy.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I started using real soap and brush long before I started using a Straight. I suffered from constant irritation in my neck and also ingrowns. Using a soap and brush went a long way to resolving the issues.

I honestly think it's because the action of brushing on the lather, and working it in, prepares the skin and whiskers better.
I believe you are spot on. I always give my face a good scrubbing with the brush when lathering.

Top Bottom