What's new

Does Parker 97R's blade gap compare to any Razorock shaver?

I really like the 97R. It's aggressiveness/smoothness (better than my Merkur 33C), it's weight, balance, build quality and short handle. It's a great razor at a great price especially for traveling. I would like in addition to the 97R to get a razor from Razorock that is comparable. I already have a Lupo DE aluminum but would like to add one with more heft.
I've searched around B&B for the blade gap figures of the 97R and can't find anything. Maybe using those figures I'd be able to find what would be comparable.
Anyone know what the blade gap is on the 97R or which Razorock razor would give a similar shave?
Thanks,
LRod

97R.jpg

Going from memory, that Parker has a large blade gap and nicked me under my nostrils a few times. Otherwise, it’s a smooth and close shaver. I also like the handle. I’d guess the Razorock Game Changer .84 is closest (but the GC 84 doesn’t bite like I remember the Parker did).

97R as any other 3 piece Parker had the gap significantly reduced a couple of years ago. The old ones had really big gap and were a bit dangerous.

I like the large blade gap that the Parker 97R and 94R has. It gives you more angles to choose from.
Short handle and smooth shave. Great razor.

Where oh where can that razor be,
the clutter took her away from me.

I know I have one of those around here somewhere... likely the older version. Now all this talk has me yearning for a 97r shave - could've been the 94r - the handle looks familiar. Perhaps I should break down and do razor inventory this week and see if it turns up. Might even find that old Pearl razor.

Never in a million years would I have thought I would buy another zamac razor, but I just did. I bought the parker 94r because I liked the knurling on the handle and how it looks. Parker has had quality issues with their razors in the past. has anyone found out if this has been changed if you buy one of their de razors today? anyone have the parker 94r? how's the finish on the razor head? any imperfections on it?

Never in a million years would I have thought I would buy another zamac razor, but I just did. I bought the parker 94r because I liked the knurling on the handle and how it looks. Parker has had quality issues with their razors in the past. has anyone found out if this has been changed if you buy one of their de razors today? anyone have the parker 94r? how's the finish on the razor head? any imperfections on it?
I was in the same boat avoiding Zamak till I found a vintage Horrfitz slant razor which has a Zamak cap. (It's a vintage 1960's version of the Merkur 37C slant!)
So to compare it to the modern version, I bought a new Merkur 37C which also has the Zamak cap.

About the Parker:
I have the 97R which I bought when I started my second round of DE shaving close to a year ago.
It's the only Zamak razor I've kept from the first razors I bought.
The reason?
Excellent quality & excellent shaves!
Parker now is making better products that Merkur. (Even though I truly believe that Merkur is selective about QC depending on which particular model you buy)
Parker has definitely upped the QC!
My parkers blade aligns perfectly, no plating issues, very solid etc..
For the price, they are now an excellent buy!

I was in the same boat avoiding Zamak till I found a vintage Horrfitz slant razor which has a Zamak cap. (It's a vintage 1960's version of the Merkur 37C slant!)
So to compare it to the modern version, I bought a new Merkur 37C which also has the Zamak cap.

About the Parker:
I have the 97R which I bought when I started my second round of DE shaving close to a year ago.
The reason?
Parker now is making better products that Merkur. (Even though I truly believe that Merkur is selective about QC depending on which particular model you buy)
so no blemishes on your parker 97r head? that's good to hear. how aggressive is the parker 97r to you? I know some say zamak won't last long, but do you think your parker 97r will last for many years to come (if you take care of it) even if the head is made from made out of zamak?

About the Parker:
The reason?
I agree, I paid around 30 bucks for the parker 94r that I ordered yesterday. I have had parker de's in the past and they were pretty good shavers from what I can remember. Some have said that the blade gap on the older parker de razors was pretty large, so parker changed their heads in the recent years and got rid of the large blade gap. have you heard this?

so no blemishes on your parker 97r head? that's good to hear. how aggressive is the parker 97r to you? I know some say zamak won't last long, but do you think your parker 97r will last for many years to come (if you take care of it) even if the head is made from made out of zamak?
No blemishes!
Have you used a Merkur 34C (for reference)?
It's slightly more aggressive and a lot more efficient than the 34C.
The Parker 97R is Parker's version of the 34C!
And Parker made it way better!
I don't know how long it will last. It cost me like $25 new so if it lasts a few years (which it should with proper care), I'd be happy!
I'm not expecting many many years from something that's $25 but you never know!
I expect many years out of my fully stainless, aluminum & brass razors but those all cost a lot more.
It's all relative!

I agree, I paid around 30 bucks for the parker 94r that I ordered yesterday. I have had parker de's in the past and they were pretty good shavers from what I can remember. Some have said that the blade gap on the older parker de razors was pretty large, so parker changed their heads in the recent years and got rid of the large blade gap. have you heard this?
Yes I've read about that but apparently they redesigned the geometry of the heads + improved the quality control in the last few years. The only other razors that I would compare (pricewise & relative quality) would be Fatip. And although I really love the way they shave (I own 3), the QC isn't very good. Parker's QC is way better.
Oh and Pearl razors which are also made in India and they are excellent as well. Here is the Blaze:

About the Parker:
The reason?
I like my 97R a lot. Much better than a 34C or a EJ89.

So, i got my parker 94r a day ago. Have not shaved with it yet, but I love the look of it. It has a nice zamak chrome head. I couldn't see any imperfections on it. The handle is a short brass handle. VERY GRIPPY. Perhaps the grippiest handle I've come across. I believe the 94r has diamond type knurling on it. you don't see this on many de handles nowadays atleast to me. Will see how it shaves in a few days. I have not bought a zamak de razor in a very long time, but I thought I'd give the parker 94r a chance based on the things I read about it and the very grippy handle it comes with. I think as long as I don't drop the 94r, it should last a very long time. I have seen a few say they love their parker de razors more than their more expensive de razors. I have read that parker has improved over the years and I did buy a few parker razors years ago, but I was an idiot and threw them all out thinking I would never use them again. I don't do that anymore with de razors I buy. I was looking at the parker 91r and 97r too, but decided on the 94r based on the diamond knurling handle it comes with. I will comment back after I used it, but I think it will be a great shaver.

I think as long as I don't drop the 94r, it should last a very long time.
More importantly, always make sure you dry it well after using it. Do that and it'll last a long time. Also, today's Zamak isn't yesterday's Zamak. Much better plating now!
Enjoy it,
LRod

More importantly, always make sure you dry it well after using it. Do that and it'll last a long time. Also, today's Zamak isn't yesterday's Zamak. Much better plating now!
Enjoy it,
LRod
thanks for the tip lrod. I usually just rinse the de head after I am done with it and let it air dry. I will wipe after rinsing it from now on.

thanks for the tip lrod. I usually just rinse the de head after I am done with it and let it air dry. I will wipe after rinsing it from now on.
FYI, I don't usually take it apart to dry it, I just loosen the head to facilitate air flow and leave it on it's side to dry for a few hours. I have a back up plan if anything happens to my 97R...I will buy a new one. I think chances are they will last a long time.

FYI, I don't usually take it apart to dry it, I just loosen the head to facilitate air flow and leave it on it's side to dry for a few hours. I have a back up plan if anything happens to my 97R...I will buy a new one. I think chances are they will last a long time.
I take the head apart after using and rinse it off and usually let it air dry. I thought about getting the 97r myself, but ended up getting the 94r which has the same exact head as the 97r. how do you like your parker 97r? is it an aggressive shaver to you? give me your thoughts on it.

So, had my first shave with my parker 94r and it was a homerun to say the least. Very smooth and very efficient especially on the first pass. took several days growth with ease. Didn't feel rough at all. Extremely smooth head and I would definitely say it's in the medium range of aggressiveness. this razor can hold its own against any of my razorock gamechangers and lupos. I am glad I got it. Can't say anything bad about it. I knew it was a zamak head on a brass handle, so I expected this, so I am not gonna knock the razor for this. Just a very lovely razor to shave with.

Top Bottom