What's new

Does one put oil on a titanium razor?

But of course Molykote is not something you would want near your face! The article is very interesting and quite accurate even in today's manufacturing environment.
I routinely machine Titanium to tolerances of +.0002" -.0000" for camera lenses. Titanium is extremely sensitive to galling even at room temperatures with light finger pressure. We use Lanolube on our inspection pins to prevent galling.
Any similar product such as Vick's Vapor Rub or Vaseline will safely provide all the lubrication needed.
Doug
Rosseforp,

Just a note about your avatar - I too am an HP guy and those 41's were the real deal weren't they?

Dennis

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Rosseforp,

Just a note about your avatar - I too am an HP guy and those 41's were the real deal weren't they?

Dennis
Dennis,
Yes, the 41's were pretty much the only game in town early 1980's. I was programming NC mills and that baby served me well.
Doug

Because it is unnecessary or because you expect a negative effect down the line?
Because its unnecessary!! I've had my Ti Timeless for over a year and have never had any problem with threading the handle onto the head at all. I think one would really have to screw up in which to have a problem with a Titanium Timeless razor!!

Because it is unnecessary or because you expect a negative effect down the line?

Lubricating post threads on a metal razor won't hurt anything, and something like food-grade mineral oil is unlikely to cause problems with skin, lather, brushes, bathroom countertop or any other materials, and is a reasonably effective lubricant, mainly to make it easier to unscrew the head, protect the finish and reduce oxidation. That said, Blackland is correct in that the coarse, finished titanium threads on a razor head post are unlikely to have any of the discussed problems, and titanium is extremely durable and mostly immune from the (slight) environmental degradation you might see on brass, copper, aluminum, zinc alloy or steel razors exposed to heat, water, air and mild alkali (soap - pH ~8/9). Galling notwithstanding. If you are of a mind to honk your titanium razor head down as tightly as possible, using a hydraulic wrench, lubricant is probably a good idea.

If you are of a mind to honk your titanium razor head down as tightly as possible, using a hydraulic wrench, lubricant is probably a good idea.
Actually I'm thinking that if you are one of those that wrench the handle onto the head, its not a matter of if something will happen, its a matter of when it will happen and I don't think any kind of lubrication will help that at all... A handle need only be snugged up at most...

Top Bottom