What's new

Does Nivea Sensitive Balm burns?

I love Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm. But today it occured to me. It burns a bit when I use it. Not terribly so but like an alcohol based after shave when used when your pores are pretty open. A sting that fades after 10 minutes. The bottle does not have the ingredients on it; I guess the box did which I threw away. Two questions for you gents: 1) does it contain alcohol? and 2) Do others feel the burn?

I love Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm. But today it occured to me. It burns a bit when I use it. Not terribly so but like an alcohol based after shave when used when your pores are pretty open. A sting that fades after 10 minutes. The bottle does not have the ingredients on it; I guess the box did which I threw away. Two questions for you gents: 1) does it contain alcohol? and 2) Do others feel the burn?
It does not contain alcohol and no, I don't get any burn from it.

Here's an ingredients list I found online but I can't vouch how up-to-date/accurate it is:

Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Distarch Phosphate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

When I used to use it, I would sometimes get a tiny bit of burning that went away quickly. Due to that, and the fact that I didn’t think it was very good compared to others, I stopped using it.

Thanks Guys. I like it a lot but can't love it because of the burn. I think I'll pick up some of the 'cooling' Sensitive post shave balm and see what that's like

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Burned me. Away it went. If I want burn, I’ll shave too close and use a splash of mentholated grain alcohol. That’s also what I started using in its place.

I tried it early on, until I realized wasn't for me and went back to alcohol splashes that I had been using since the mid 1960s. After shaving, I splash on Dickinson Witch Hazel to sooth the skin, followed by my favorite aftershaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I liked Nivea sensitive balm but I got onto Hyaluronic acid additive testing and added it to my Nivea balm and that made a great difference in post shave feel even better.
Hyaluronic acid is not that cheap so I started using CeraVe moisturizing lotion with Hyaluronic acid and 3 Ceramides and it does wonders for post shave feel to the skin and it is scentless(does not clash with aftershave scents).
Nivea cooling balm I did not like because that much because of the scent. Nivea sensitive I used for years but CeraVe (16 oz)works great and cheaper than the Hyaluronic acid 2 oz bottle and just a small dollop is all that is needed. Nivea would sell a lot more sensitive balm if they just added Hyaluronic acid IMO.
No Nivea balms felt like they had a burning sensation to my skin.(Maybe you could be allergic to something in it?)
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
It does not contain alcohol and no, I don't get any burn from it.

Here's an ingredients list I found online but I can't vouch how up-to-date/accurate it is:

Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Distarch Phosphate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

I tried applying vegetable glycerin to my skin one time thinking it would moisturize my skin. I thought someone had doused me in gasoline. I won't ever do that again.

Personally I do not have an issue with Nivea. However, if you skin is sensitive to it, you should discontinue use.

There are many skin friendly balms, serums, skin foods made by some of the finer artisan soapmakers who specialize in skin care. They avoid many of the synthetic ingredients found in Nivea, so hopefully, they will work better with your skin.

Nivea balms and creams imo have gone down in quality by quite a bit (At least the products sold in the Aus market). See if you can get the German, Greek or Indian versions instead. I have found these to be better for whatever reason but truth be told none of them are great, it is a budget brand afterall.

Short answer - YES! You get what you pay for. You may want to check out Proraso White shaving balm. It’s $17 a bottle, but well worth it.

I got a burning sensation from it but it was mostly because I got a strange reaction from using a pre-shave soap and using the non sensitive Nivea shaving cream. Lots of areas on my face got burnt like appearance and when applying the balm, it didn't go well.

Yup. Stoped using it. I also would get some irritation from Cerave PM. Both are supposed to be mild and calming. Idk My guess is one of the hundred ingredients in both I’m sensitive to. I use Nutragina hydro boost now with no issues. Good stuff

I'm glad you posted this. I thought I was crazy. Yes, a slight burn. When I use it up it will be strictly the Proraso for me from now on. That is awesome stuff.

Top Bottom