What's new

Does knot have to fit SNUG?

Ok quick question i have an idea for making a brush and have ordered a 30mm knot from TGN. I have no woodworking skills or tools, but i plan on putting the knot in another item (surprise dont know if its done yet...) i saw a brush earlier that was done in a Wrench socket and it looked pretty awesome. Iam wondering if i need to have the diamater of the hole iam putting it in as EXACTLY 30mm or can there be a gap that i can just fill with epoxy?

The knots I have done in restores have always been smaller than the opening measured right at the top.
The knot gets wider as you measure up the knot, from the plug.

As you push the knot deeper into the handle it will tighten.

i understand that but what if the handle i have in mind is somewhat of a V shape, with more of a curve. where the knot may not get tighther as the area around it will be too wide to push deeper, if i push too deep i run the risk of making the loft too short. Lets say for illustration purposes i wanted to fit a 30mm knot into a 34mm short socket. I cant go too deep because it wont let me. I guess it would just make the brush too floppy if it wasnt set properly...

Which iam ok with but iam wondering if it the epoxy will hold it fully.

You can always fill the hole with epoxy and then drill it back out to where you need it, but I don't know how good it would look. It would be ok if the knot bloomed enough to not see the gap.

if the gap is too big, you'll notice it. a few i've made had a slight gap and it filled in OK with epoxy, but anything more than a mm or two and it will be obvious. if that doesn't bother you, you can certainly fill it in with epoxy.

Dry fit it first at the loft and see if the points look poor. I suspect they will fill with hair and look interesting, but filled. When you insert the knot you probably will need more epoxy under the knot than with a round hole.

Sounds like an interesting idea. It is going to be a heavy brush!

Phil

No, it doesn't have to be exact. I put an 18 mm knot into a 20mm hole and the brush works just fine. Since I fixed it with silicone adhesive (the fish tank kind), I just used extra so it would fill in the gap. I would imagine that if you are patient enough, you can use some adhesive to form a base, wait for it to cure, then put your knot in and use extra adhesive to fill in the gap.

Alternatively, I support what has been posted above.

Top Bottom