What's new

Does it seem some of the straight razors that you use gets sharper as time goes on.

Some razors I own while I’m in between hones. Seem to get sharper as I use them. Then the sharpest just falls off after a period of time use. Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not for me, the best shave is the first one after honing, though I might experience the same comfort level for up to 30 shaves depemding on the razor/hone. I’m honing on Jnats.

No. But my diamond pasted balsa progression does restore most of my edges without going to hones or films.

Could it be that your stropping routine slowly corrects some minor issue with the edges on certain razors/steels/finishes? How would you characterize your stropping? I use a very light touch on all strops, whatever the material or treatment.

Also, I have heard of 'clean' leather or fabric strops picking up abrasive particles over time. Any possibility there? I think about that in the context of my regularly using pasted balsa, then fabric, then leather.

I would like to experience your increasing sharpness effect with my Torrey, which barely holds an edge through a single shave.

Just saw this:

It could be that there is some abrasive on the strop. Have you noticed any dark swarf colour on the strop?

My edges don’t get sharper but they do stay comfortably for quite a while with stropping alone.

I believe one of my strops maybe treated. I have black leather strop that was given to me and has a significant drag when I draw the straight razor across it. I may ask if it was ever treated with a compound.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
No. I do 50 laps on .1u pasted balsa before leather between shaves so the edge is always the same. I have razors used for three years I’ve never re-honed and they are just as sharp as the first shave.

Even if you're an experienced straight razor shaver it takes one or two shaves for your muscle memory to fine tune to a razor. This means that even if you're first shave is grand the next shaves will be even better. That's why I these days always shave with the same razor for a week.

Have no clue why, but my shaves always feel smoother a few shaves after a fresh honing. Very likely it is just the increased number of passes on the strop.

Even if you're an experienced straight razor shaver it takes one or two shaves for your muscle memory to fine tune to a razor. This means that even if you're first shave is grand the next shaves will be even better. That's why I these days always shave with the same razor for a week.
I do the same. I pick a different razor and brush on Sunday night and use them for the week ahead. It allows you to really connect with the equipment and gives you a few less decisions to make in the day.

Top Bottom