What's new

Does Ikon slant = Lutz?

I recently acquired a Lutz slant that is the best razor I have ever used. The only drawback is the exposed tabs. I recall reading that Ikon based their slant on the Lutz, with one side having more blade gap than the other, but the head covers the entire blade. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

I haven't used the Ikon slant, but do really like my Lutz. Doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two sides on the Lutz. I just wish the Lutz were heavier. Maybe I should try it with one of those monster handles Maggard sells?

I haven't used the Ikon slant, but do really like my Lutz. Doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two sides on the Lutz. I just wish the Lutz were heavier. Maybe I should try it with one of those monster handles Maggard sells?

I am using mine with an Ikon bulldog handle and it is perfect. Sounds like the DLC might be my ticket.

After doing some research, it appears the DLC does not have more gap on one side than the other. The search continues...

The big difference is that the iKon #102 slant does not twist (torque) the blade, while the Lutz, Merkur 37C and RazoRock slant do. The iKon #102 basically just tilts the head.

I actually believe the Ikon slant was a copy of the Mulcuto slant.

The Shavecraft 102 is a copy of the Mulcuto slant. However, the original Ikon slant is not.

The OP's question is, therefore, vague, because he refers to the "iKon slant" but there are TWO iKon slants now, not just one. I assumed he was talking about the FIRST iKon slant and not the Shavecraft 102, because most people call the Shavecraft 102 the Shavecraft 102 (i.e., specifically), whereas the term "iKon slant" referred to the first slant from iKon a long time before there was such a thing as the Shavecraft 102.

The Shavecraft 102 is a copy of the Mulcuto slant. However, the original Ikon slant is not.

The OP's question is, therefore, vague, because he refers to the "iKon slant" but there are TWO iKon slants now, not just one. I assumed he was talking about the FIRST iKon slant and not the Shavecraft 102, because most people call the Shavecraft 102 the Shavecraft 102 (i.e., specifically), whereas the term "iKon slant" referred to the first slant from iKon a long time before there was such a thing as the Shavecraft 102.

Both Ikon slants are copies of Mulcuto designs.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/417579-Help-identify-a-slant?highlight=

And the 102:

$capture-20141117-223055.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is almost identical to my 102...

You actually thought ikon would come up with an original design? :lol:

Btw ... nothing wrong with making copies of old designs. The problem is how they attack other companies saying ''their razors all look the same'', when they can't even create a design of their own.

Last edited:
The big difference is that the iKon #102 slant does not twist (torque) the blade, while the Lutz, Merkur 37C and RazoRock slant do. The iKon #102 basically just tilts the head.

Just like to add that the new ATT slant is also a torque slant and really fine razor

I wonder if Greg just finds a razor he likes, sends it to his machinist, they make a mold of it and sinter out a razor, and he puts his name on it.

As long as Ikon admitted it, that wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm new to this forum and not familiar with Ikon & its practices. I gather the owner is not liked. I've done business over the years with a lot of people I don't like, so that doesn't bother me much. I'd never be able to watch another movie if I could only do business with likable people.

I'm supposed to receive a Shavecraft 101 head today. Aluminum combined with one of my chrome-plated brass handles sounds better than plated zamak, and I like the idea of combining an open & closed comb on one shaving head. Maybe it will work well, maybe not. I'll judge it first by whether or not it seems built to good tolerances, then by how well it shaves for me. I'll judge later if aluminum and brass work well together and overall durability - but that should take a long time, because my EJ89 is holding up fine after 2 years.

I'm not sure why anyone would put much research into DE head design. That are a great many that have proven themselves over the last 100 years. If there are no outstanding patents involved, then making a copy from good quality material and with good tolerances would be fine by me. If I were a manufacturer, I'd BOAST about copying a design...and maybe then add anything different I did to make it better. Making copies and not admitting it seems counter-productive to me.

As long as Ikon admitted it, that wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm new to this forum and not familiar with Ikon & its practices. I gather the owner is not liked. I've done business over the years with a lot of people I don't like, so that doesn't bother me much. I'd never be able to watch another movie if I could only do business with likable people.

I'm supposed to receive a Shavecraft 101 head today. Aluminum combined with one of my chrome-plated brass handles sounds better than plated zamak, and I like the idea of combining an open & closed comb on one shaving head. Maybe it will work well, maybe not. I'll judge it first by whether or not it seems built to good tolerances, then by how well it shaves for me. I'll judge later if aluminum and brass work well together and overall durability - but that should take a long time, because my EJ89 is holding up fine after 2 years.

I'm not sure why anyone would put much research into DE head design. That are a great many that have proven themselves over the last 100 years. If there are no outstanding patents involved, then making a copy from good quality material and with good tolerances would be fine by me. If I were a manufacturer, I'd BOAST about copying a design...and maybe then add anything different I did to make it better. Making copies and not admitting it seems counter-productive to me.

I'm not sure Ikon intentionally avoids mentioning what razors they "copy." They take proven designs, update the materials and tweak certain aspects of the design....like covering the razor blade projections on the side of the head. Their Shavecraft 101 is a copy of and named after the German Punktal 101. The 102 is a diagonal slant based on a Mulcuto design while their first slant twists the blade and is after another Mulcuto razor. Both designs originate from the 1930s and were executed in various forms by a number of companies. The BOSS thread is instructive with many reviews of modern and historic slants.

Your point about spending time on DE head design might not be all that productive is a good one. And many modern designs copy the general form of earlier designs. This is true for both SB and OC razors. Many vary the blade exposure and cap size to achieve different performance....but the basic design is the same.

The handle is hollow, you could always load it and plug it, I suppose.

Is it just me that doesn't like the blade tabs to be covered I think it adds unnecessary bulk to the head. I have never nicked myself in many years of shaving with the tabs.........:001_huh:
On the subject of the slants, I have a few that I use a lot inc both Mulcutos and find them to be superb shavers but wonder if the changes made to the Ikons would change the feel for me. Maybe the change to stainless steel would change the balance and feel of the razor?
I like Ikon products and purchased all of his stuff until he covered the tabs, but having said that the only one I have left is a Gen 2 O/C from the original numbered series.
Thoughts on a postcard please...........:lol:

Top Bottom