What's new

Does Gold Dollar Have a Website of their own?

Good morning everyone,
Is there any info online differentiating GD models? Do they all use the same quality steel, temper, etc? I‘m looking for a practice/learning SR specifically for 1st time honing. I once read on a honemeister’s website that they only accepted one of GD’s razors for service. I don’t recall which of the SR models it was. I can’t seem to find an actual GD website. All of the vendors I shop with already hone their GD razors to “shave-ready” before I get a chance to work on a a baseline factory edge. Any info would be much appreciate. Thank you all!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
To the best of my knowledge, no.

For your information, Gold Dollar SR's are manufactured by Ningbo Gold Dollar Razor & Scissors Manufacture Co., Ltd., Zhejiang, China.

I have several models of Gold Dollar razors. Some of the models are made of carbon steel. Some of the higher numbered models are stainless steel. Typically, the higher the number of the model, the better the workmanship in the razor. However, I have not noted any significant difference in the steel quality.

Like you, I purchased the GD razors in my quest to learn how to hone a straight.

Just because most vendors advertise their GD razors as "shave ready" that does not mean they are. However, if you want to learn the entire honing progression from bevel set to final polishing, you can always kill the edge of the razor on the rim of a glass, ceramic cup, or on the corner of a hone.

If you order the razors direct from China as I did with a few of mine, they will come with the factory edge and profile. On some models the heal stabilizer prevents proper contact with the hone during portionss of the honing stroke, so you will need to modify the stabilizer using something like a Dremel tool. If you purchase from a vendor, that part might have been done for you.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Their AliBaba page is about all there is, officially.

I believe that all of their carbon steel razors are the same steel. The 100, 200, and 300 are available in carbon steel or stainless, according to CiCi at the factory. However, they do not stamp or etch them any differently from the carbon steel razors. The stainless razors do contain, according to an assay I had done, some chromium, enough to call them stainless steel. CiCi will not divulge anything about the steel. The model 900 is the only one that is made from a named alloy, IIRC. However, it is badly overpriced and the scales are too heavy. The 800 is a pretty nice razor. I particularly like the P-81, often called the 1996 because the year that the company was founded is the only marking on the shank. It is pretty cheap and has no stabilizer and very few issues preventing straightforward honing. The 208 is popular with a lot of GD fans. The 66 is the most famous or infamous model and is what most people think of when you mention the brand. It is popular with modders because it is easy to find and very cheap, and has a lot of steel to work with. I DO NOT LIKE the "W" series models at all.

The company is not very service oriented, neither to the retail trade, nor to resellers. Their deceptive practices regarding lead time and expected shipping dates are legendary. Their product line of course could use a lot of refinement. They don't care. They sell every razor that they can make, because they are the cheapest brand that still "works".

There product listing is not very well organized. You have to go through several categories to view all the models that they list. They have a limited presence on AliExpress, where you can order small quantities and find resellers that offer usually better service. You will also find resellers on fleabay. Some models are very hard to find, from resellers.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... I DO NOT LIKE the "W" series models at all.
The Gold Dollar W59 is my favourite GD straight razor. I just love their version of a Spanish point and I keep mine sharp and pointed.
IMG_20210527_072354.jpg

Last edited:
The Gold Dollar W59 is my favourite GD straight razor. I just love their version of a Spanish point and I keep mine sharp and pointed.

I like the shape of your W59. I have one of the W59 that had a weird point. The first time I placed the blade against my cheek, it made a nasty gash. I am accustomed to shaving with various point styles and never had that happen before. Thus, I had to blunt the point on mine.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I like the shape of your W59. I have one of the W59 that had a weird point. The first time I placed the blade against my cheek, it made a nasty gash. I am accustomed to shaving with various point styles and never had that happen before. Thus, I had to blunt the point on mine.
Yes, the first time I shaved with mine the toe let me know that I needed to concentrate more. I did and kept that toe sharp and pointy. It is not a SR for the inexperienced or faint of heart.

Yes, the first time I shaved with mine the toe let me know that I needed to concentrate more. I did and kept that toe sharp and pointy. It is not a SR for the inexperienced or faint of heart.

The problem with mine was that the curvature of the blade and the curvature of the toe were different. There was no way I could prevent the tip from gouging me, no matter how careful I was. I have Spanish points, French Points, Square points and Irish points and use all of them without issue other than this one.

Their AliBaba page is about all there is, officially.

I believe that all of their carbon steel razors are the same steel. The 100, 200, and 300 are available in carbon steel or stainless, according to CiCi at the factory. However, they do not stamp or etch them any differently from the carbon steel razors. The stainless razors do contain, according to an assay I had done, some chromium, enough to call them stainless steel. CiCi will not divulge anything about the steel. The model 900 is the only one that is made from a named alloy, IIRC. However, it is badly overpriced and the scales are too heavy. The 800 is a pretty nice razor. I particularly like the P-81, often called the 1996 because the year that the company was founded is the only marking on the shank. It is pretty cheap and has no stabilizer and very few issues preventing straightforward honing. The 208 is popular with a lot of GD fans. The 66 is the most famous or infamous model and is what most people think of when you mention the brand. It is popular with modders because it is easy to find and very cheap, and has a lot of steel to work with. I DO NOT LIKE the "W" series models at all.

The company is not very service oriented, neither to the retail trade, nor to resellers. Their deceptive practices regarding lead time and expected shipping dates are legendary. Their product line of course could use a lot of refinement. They don't care. They sell every razor that they can make, because they are the cheapest brand that still "works".

There product listing is not very well organized. You have to go through several categories to view all the models that they list. They have a limited presence on AliExpress, where you can order small quantities and find resellers that offer usually better service. You will also find resellers on fleabay. Some models are very hard to find, from resellers.
Great info, thanks!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Good morning everyone,
Is there any info online differentiating GD models? Do they all use the same quality steel, temper, etc? I‘m looking for a practice/learning SR specifically for 1st time honing. I once read on a honemeister’s website that they only accepted one of GD’s razors for service. I don’t recall which of the SR models it was. I can’t seem to find an actual GD website. All of the vendors I shop with already hone their GD razors to “shave-ready” before I get a chance to work on a a baseline factory edge. Any info would be much appreciate. Thank you all!
BTW, if you buy from a reseller in Hong Kong or China, you will usually be getting the razor as shipped from the factory. American, UK, or Euro resellers can only make money on them by honing them and marking them up accordingly. However if you ask you can usually get your source to sell you one right out of the box, unhoned.

Try fleabay and AliExpress.

Top Bottom