What's new

Does Geo F. Trumper Lime soap suck?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Or is it just me? I could not get a decent lather at all with it. I loaded the crap out of the brush and face lathered - looked OK but depleted quickly, just disappeared on my face. On the second pass I loaded the brush AGAIN and used less water. Looked ok, covered my face. Then disappeared just as fast again. No matter what I tried, more water or less water Or more soap - it just sucked and disappeared off my face.

What gives? Thought this soap was supposed to be good?

"What gives? Thought this soap was supposed to be good?"

Nope, GFT are notoriously bad soaps, at least since I've been around.

The vintage ones may be ok, I'm not sure.

Creams on the other had, no issues with the ones I've tried.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A post of mine from an older thread: (post #4)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
So they do suck. Guess I’ll just throw it out.

I’m using the last version of Czech and Speake 88 in the shower. The worst shaving soap ever made.

They’ve posted a tallow vormula on their website so I ordered one hoping for v3. They pulled the 90g refill puck for a while so this is a new listing.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Or is it just me? I could not get a decent lather at all with it. I loaded the crap out of the brush and face lathered - looked OK but depleted quickly, just disappeared on my face. On the second pass I loaded the brush AGAIN and used less water. Looked ok, covered my face. Then disappeared just as fast again. No matter what I tried, more water or less water Or more soap - it just sucked and disappeared off my face.

What gives? Thought this soap was supposed to be good?
You have to load MUCH heavier than you would ever think a rational soap should require..... ;)

Then load more. ;)

Then load more after each pass. ;)

Works better if you Bowl lather.

Once I started doing that, I've never had an issue getting a very nice lather. Very good post shave face feel. :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just seems like a lot of work to get a good lather. When there are soaps that explode with lather at half the work.
It's not in my frequent rotation. ;)

Every once in a while, though, I'll dig it out and use it. Love the scent and, when you go through the effort, it does produce a nice slick lather with very nice post shave face feel.

It's a really hard soap. Just takes a lot to get enough soap in the brush. Boar brushes seem to work well.

You have to load MUCH heavier than you would ever think a rational soap should require..... ;)

Then load more. ;)

Then load more after each pass. ;)

Works better if you Bowl lather.

Once I started doing that, I've never had an issue getting a very nice lather. Very good post shave face feel. :cool:
^This, absolutely. GFT works as well as any other soap - with enough time, enough product, and enough effort. It requires more of all the preceding with harder water (mine is less than 1 gpg). And ALL my GFT pucks get bloomed - at least 5 minutes before using. It's a hard soap. Worth it if you like the fragrance, but obviously there are easier, quicker to use soaps these days. I like it, but not for the faint of heart (or weak of wrist) :001_smile....

Interesting. If you are looking for an excellent performing lime product I encourage you to try Castle Forbes Lime Cream. Slickness and performance with the best of them and a nice pure lime scent. I have tried many in the lime area and this is the best I have found. Expensive but for me worth every penny. JM

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m not much of a cream guy. I actually don’t own any creams. I guess I could try some. Give me an excuse to use my bowls.

Top Bottom