What's new

Does fishing line go bad?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Does the test strength remain consistent over time? I have a number of spools of fishing line that're anywhere between 40-25 years old. If they're no good for fishing anymore, then I'll try to find a practical use for them.

I do not change mine on any time schedule. What test line are we looking at and what strenght of fish are targetted? Do you know the storage conditions?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Like everything it all depends on how it was stored. I’ve found some old line that was very brittle. Try to pull it apart with your hands. I think you’ll know right away if it’s good or not. Or just go fishing. If the first fish snaps off you’ll have your answer.

Line can degrade especially when not kept in a cool place.
If it is on a reel it will have such a solid memory from remaining on a tight diameter that it will tangle at every cast and have tons of loops in it.
Best to buy it on a larger spool and keep it in a fridge or somewhere cool and dark for long term storage.
Re-spool from that when you need it..

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
^^^What they said.

I used to store my rods and tackle box in the pump house as I didn't have a place to store them in the house. It can get 105-115 here during the summer...the plastic skirts on the bass lures and the plastic worms in the tackle box melted. The line would get so brittle that if you even caught a little 2-3 pound bass it would snap.

I bought some new spools of line and started keeping the tackle box in the house a few years ago and I have used it to re-spool the line on the rods and it has worked fine. I made a place in my home office to store the rods and everything has worked fine since. I try to replace the line on my reels every couple of years or so.

Notice the bovine bass in the background of the picture. The water at the right side of the picture is about 15 feet deep so the bovine bass don't hang out there. The drop off to the deeper water is where the largemouth bass hang out sometimes to ambush the smaller fish that swim over to the deeper water.

dsc_0001-2-jpg.889389

Last edited:
^^^What they said.

I used to store my rods and tackle box in the pump house as I didn't have a place to store them in the house. It can get 105-115 here during the summer...the plastic skirts on the bass lures and the plastic worms in the tackle box melted. The line would get so brittle that if you even caught a little 2-3 pound bass it would snap.

I bought some new spools of line and started keeping the tackle box in the house a few years ago and I have used it to re-spool the line on the rods and it has worked fine. I made a place in my home office to store the rods and everything has worked fine since. I try to replace the line on my reels every couple of years or so.

Notice the bovine bass in the background of the picture. The water at the right side of the picture is about 15 feet deep so the bovine bass don't hang out there. The drop off to the deeper water is where the largemouth bass hang out sometimes to ambush the smaller fish that swim over to the deeper water.

dsc_0001-2-jpg.889389
I’d eat that largemouth bass, or the bovine bass in a heartbeat. Great looking grocery store!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I’d eat that largemouth bass, or the bovine bass in a heartbeat. Great looking grocery store!

Some good stuff. Looks like I need to get the fence stretcher out and tighten up the barb wire, but I haven't gotten one of these yet.

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
40-25 is ancient tech anyways … but I have some loaded line, less than 10, that seems *way too curly* … sigh.

AA

Top Bottom