What's new

Does fast vs slow draw affect the number of laps you need to do?

Assuming good technique and equal pressure in fast vs. slow, I don't think it matters. But going "too" fast leads to errors in technique that, for me, make "too" fast less effective.

I should have been a bit more clear.

I mean that some strops are rough and the draw is magnetic or sticky and goes slower, or at least feels that way.

And some strops are hard and glossy and slippery and the razor seems to scoot quickly and easily along them.

I was wondering of a slow, rough, russian style stop would do in twenty laps, what a "fast" hard strop would require thirty laps to do.

In my mind, a rough sticky strop seems to be more aggressively cleaning up the apex.

But maybe not. Maybe it makes no difference.

Unsure.

As long as it is a decent strop, then I am always surprised at how minuscule of a difference different leathers or finishes make.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
As long as it is a decent strop, then I am always surprised at how minuscule of a difference different leathers or finishes make.

Agree.I typically have used each type of leather the same, not adding or subtracting strokes. I feel the difference in leathers is more the feedback to the user than the effect on the edge. All will do the same thing but how they feel when using them is what varies the most.

Reactions: LJS
Thanks for that, yes, that's what I assumed as well.

The feel of the strop does not affect the quality of the stropping or the quality of the shave.

Which is good news, because it means we can use the strop we prefer. The one that feels nicest to our hands, to strop on.

I happen to prefer a slick, hard, slightly convex strop, so that's what I'll stay with.

I should have been a bit more clear.

I mean that some strops are rough and the draw is magnetic or sticky and goes slower, or at least feels that way.

And some strops are hard and glossy and slippery and the razor seems to scoot quickly and easily along them.

I was wondering of a slow, rough, russian style stop would do in twenty laps, what a "fast" hard strop would require thirty laps to do.

In my mind, a rough sticky strop seems to be more aggressively cleaning up the apex.

But maybe not. Maybe it makes no difference.

Unsure.

I don't think the tactile feel has anything to do with efficacy.
A heavy draw strop feels like it is doing more, but its not.
Conversely, I think some strops ARE more effective in their use given the same amount of stropping.
I will say that for me, the Red Imp is the most effective strop I own when compared to all others. That includes two Kanayama's.
Boar strops are also VERY effective, again, given the same stropping amount.
Don't know why. I assume its in how it was tanned and how much silica may be present. I just don't know.
That doesn't make other strops inferior, they still work fine.

Conversely, I think some strops ARE more effective in their use given the same amount of stropping.
I will say that for me, the Red Imp is the most effective strop I own when compared to all others. That includes two Kanayama's.
Boar strops are also VERY effective, again, given the same stropping amount.
Don't know why. I assume its in how it was tanned and how much silica may be present. I just don't know.
That doesn't make other strops inferior, they still work fine.
I also find horsehide and boar to be more effective than cow and especially roo, but they all work.

Slow and steady wins the race. Many a strop has ended up on the trash heap from overzealous stropping. It doesn't matter what kind of leather you are using. As an aside, I am not even sure how this notion of fast stropping ever became a gold standard that one should seek to attain.

Slow and steady wins the race. Many a strop has ended up on the trash heap from overzealous stropping. It doesn't matter what kind of leather you are using. As an aside, I am not even sure how this notion of fast stropping ever became a gold standard that one should seek to attain.

I think everyone should strop at a speed that is comfortable to them, it will yield the best results for them.
I will say that stropping with a little speed does in fact warm the blade more which I believe does help, how much is debatable.
Speed was never something I tried to achieve but rather comes naturally over many years of repetitive motion and muscle memory.

Well put! I am slowly getting more consistent and faster strokes by just doing it more but there is something to be said for having a practice strop that you are OK nicking for the purpose of pushing yourself a bit in terms of speed.

Well put! I am slowly getting more consistent and faster strokes by just doing it more but there is something to be said for having a practice strop that you are OK nicking for the purpose of pushing yourself a bit in terms of speed.

That's just it. You shouldn't be pushing yourself.
A steady rhythm is what to shoot for. Speed will naturally come without thinking about it.

Barbers seemed to use horse hide. I've tried many different types of leathers. Black latigo seemed to have the strongest draw. And a Russian shell vintage I have and my kanayama have the least. I figure for a barber stropping all day the easier draw is easier on the forearms. And the results imo anyway seem the same. No science behind it. Just seems that way.

I love to hear the sound — some razors sing on the strop and I seem to like strops that highlight that. I'm always spooked when stropping a grind that is silent … am I doing it wrong? What's happening? Is anything happening? Did I ruin this? Etc.

Top Bottom