What's new

Does everyone let the weight of the razor do the work?

Does the saying "let the weight of the razor do the work" apply to most experienced shavers, or does anyone actually press down? I'm still new to De shaving and feel the need to press down in certain area's like my lip but I don't.Love to hear comments on this.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That's certainly the goal with most razors - especially aggressive razors.

It is a lession that I'll keep learning until I 'get it'. ;)

Hmm it's just something people say. It totally depends on exposure. Mild razors with negative exposure require some pressure. Conversely, a heavy razor with positive exposure may actually require you to lift the razor to offset gravity depending on its orientation, eg when shaving the top of your head. Try letting a Timeless Bronze OC do the work on top of your skull and see what I mean.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is easier with a heavier and well-balanced razor and not that easy with a lightweight razor. I started with a Merkur 23C (not heavy) and struggled. I changed to a Rockwell 6S and it got significantly easier.

My recommendation is to keep going and to try to feel the feedback of your skin. If I apply too much pressure alum really burns and my skin is really red for a while.

keep going! and keep in mind that everybody had the same issues at least if changing from cartridge razor shaving.
Mycroft

I'm new at this too (a few months in). Today I tried without any additional pressure at all, concentrating on just the weight only of the razorock gamechanger (and equivalent feel when razor was upside down). After the first pass I was convinced I was wasting my time. I needed to do another wtg pass. After that pass, I was about where I normally am after 1 wtg pass. Then the next two passes went very well with just razor weight. I'm currently thinking I need a little additional pressure for the first pass, but after that, the no pressure approach seemed to work nicely. Or more likely, I just need to improve my technique...

I can tell you that I've have had no nicks or irritation from letting the weight of the razor shave me.My first few times I was applying some pressure and got some cuts,Or could have been due to my skin prep not right.

Last edited:
I try to and try to "lift" the whiskers from my face.

I find I'm better at letting the razor do the work if there is more blade feel. I also find handle heavy razors help me do it, however head heavy razors I can apply pressure. More mild/less blade feel razors I have a bad habit of applying a tiny bit of pressure.

Based on OP's comment, I found I had to apply some pressure as a beginner until I found sharper blades. I had that 'a-ha' moment with a Gillette Nacet, the feeling of a knife through butter.

Clubman Jumbo salesmen typically advocate using pressure and steep angles ("You want a BBS shave don't ya??)

But then again, it's in their best interest to make sure we don't perfect our technique.

Only on a downward pass.
You have to apply some slight pressure on sideways or upward passes because we have to deal with these annoying concepts of mass & gravity.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I try to but because I change razors every week and they all weigh just that little bit different, I fail sometimes. Especially when changing from a Fatboy to a Tech.

Yes indeed!

This is my mantra whether I am using a heavy razor (like the Wolfman that is my daily driver) or a light razor (like the Lord that is my travel razor). Less is more is what works for me. :straight::straight:

I don't buy into " Let the razor do the work " saying. A lot of guys use very super light pressure while shaving & some without even realizing it. This is what I strive for in each shave & I am getting slowly better at using super light pressure & nicks & irritation are becoming a thing of the past for me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use a stainless razor with a heavy handle, so I actually try to reduce the weight slightly on down strokes - less than the weight of the razor. The up strokes are the problem. Obviously the weight is going the wrong way! I use as little as I can muster, but my failures in the weight department are always on the up strokes.

Top Bottom