What's new

Does every vintage razor require "restoration"?

There are so many threads about restoring technique, pinning/unpinning, changing and making scales, etc. I have yet to find a thread (sorry if I missed it...and I probably have) about just cleaning a vintage razor up, de-rusting if neccessary (evaporust), +/- changing/fixing scales, honing and stropping.
I see lots of razors on ebay that look like they've been "cleaned up" for the sale with some sand paper or steel wool, "partially restored", etc. Some restorations really do make a razor beautiful and "like new" but these razors are not new and I think they should retain some character. I find that razors lose a lot when they're all polished up, some go as far as losing they're actual identitites by grinding and polishing out the stampings.

Now, I understand that certain razors that have already been messed with will look a lot better with a gentle restoration and polish but not all.

Just curious where guys stand on this.

I buy used razors that look either very good or pretty good from the start. Most of the ones I had now, I didn't have to do anything to. Some I've had in the past, I've cleaned the blade up a bit with Mother's polish and that's about it.

When I first started using straight razors I bought would inexpensive ones that required a little more work. I agree with you however that a really old vintage razor looks better showing a little age.

When I first started my straight razor collection, I would do as @seattleshaver would do, buy cheap and spend some time cleaning them up or even overdoing the cleaning process. Personally, I only buy very clean to clean razors that need minimal cleanup at this point. The ultra invasive procedures like removing the scales for cleaning are reserved for more serious cases of heavy rust at the pivot. Though, I don't even buy razors like that anymore unless they are ultra rare and this is the nicest condition they can be had in.
I agree that they do loose a little something when polished to a mirror finish. I have a Greaves wedge and a Tally Ho sitting on the restoration table. Both of these razors have a beautiful dark patina with little to no actual rust(maybe a tiny little bit at the pivot). What will I do with them? I would first soak them in neatsfoot oil to rejuvenate their horn scales, I may clean off minor declamations on the edges with some high grit sand paper. From there I would use a fiberglass pen to scrape away any active rust at the pivot as opposed to removing the centuries old scales(I've damaged too many old scales while attempting cleanup). Lastly, I'd use a little Mass or Mothers Mag to lightly buff the surface removing any light rust, but retaining the majority of the patina. On newer razors, 1920's-1960's or so, which usually don't have much patina or rust at all, I usually buff with Mother's Mag to a mid to high shine. I guess it all depends on your preferences with each razor.
This razor for example, a 9/8 Wade and Butcher FBU, was heavily rusted and its original scales were trashed. I don't own a custom razor and I don't really plan to with today's prices, so I sent her off to Alfredo for some custom scales and a nice buff.
de7c00205ee7e4f7d27fa5c657df9e13.jpg

Now if that same razor had sound scales and was in fair condition with out much surface rust or other condition issues, I would have left her as god made her. Again, just a light buff all around and a good honing.
I have seen these highly buffed straights on Ebay. One, I thought was coated in oil, but ended up having very deep pits that were polished so well that they resembled an oil sheen. It is a shame, that some of these razors completely loose their provenance, but some people just think it looks better for some reason.... YMMV
I really enjoy discussing restoration techniques because I think that they are some of the best part of the hobby.

Solidly built and functional, with patina? Yeah, I’d leave it alone, hone and go. Active rust removal and leave it there? Maybe, yeah, leave it there. Scratched up blade? Might try to minimally buff out some of that damage.

MyCarver, Doc226 and some others have done well executed full restores back to like new condition that are exquisite.

There are so many threads about restoring technique, pinning/unpinning, changing and making scales, etc. I have yet to find a thread (sorry if I missed it...and I probably have) about just cleaning a vintage razor up, de-rusting if neccessary (evaporust), +/- changing/fixing scales, honing and stropping.
I see lots of razors on ebay that look like they've been "cleaned up" for the sale with some sand paper or steel wool, "partially restored", etc. Some restorations really do make a razor beautiful and "like new" but these razors are not new and I think they should retain some character. I find that razors lose a lot when they're all polished up, some go as far as losing they're actual identitites by grinding and polishing out the stampings.

Now, I understand that certain razors that have already been messed with will look a lot better with a gentle restoration and polish but not all.

Just curious where guys stand on this.

I prefer originality over pretty.

Great hearing people's varying opinions. I think i'm in between. Spruce it up a little but keep some of the history

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Pretty don't shave. Sharp shaves. Pretty just looks good. Nothing wrong with that, but my preference with vintage beaters is just leave them as found if they cn be made to shave as found. I never "restore" just for the sake of appearance alone.

i like the idea of "vintage restore"
i'm in the market for one covered in patina/ tarnish with minimal rust
i like the idea if leaving the tarnish if there is enough, then just hone/fix edge
if its just splotchy i hand sanded/polished
but active rust must be removed

i like the idea of "vintage restore"
i'm in the market for one covered in patina/ tarnish with minimal rust
i like the idea if leaving the tarnish if there is enough, then just hone/fix edge
if its just splotchy i hand sanded/polished
but active rust must be removed

I got one that appeared to have rich, dark patina. When it arrived I put it in a bowl with hot water and Dawn. It was just dirty....LOL.

I try not to go after questionable rust on the edge.

Top Bottom