What's new

Does Derby Lemon smell like Arko?

Found a tube of Derby Lemon in my local store for 2 euros and wondering if it smells like Arko. Both Turkish so maybe one took inspiration from the other ;)

You're comparing Derby lemon cream or Derby soap, to Arko cream or Arko soap?
If it's soap to soap, they are similar, but I prefer Derby, which just smells like soap to me.

You're comparing Derby lemon cream or Derby soap, to Arko cream or Arko soap?
If it's soap to soap, they are similar, but I prefer Derby, which just smells like soap to me.
Well my post is under the Shaving Creams sections so I am comparing the Derby Lemon Cream to the Arko Stick (maybe I should've made the post clearer).

I've used both extensively. There are similarities in the scent but derby lemon is straight up industrial lemon cleaner scent where as arko soap is more of a 'plain soap' scent with a touch of lemon. I happen to like both and despite being under $3 per tube or stick they both have out performed many $10+ soaps and creams I've tried. They both have similar chemical make up and both are designed to be for tough Turkish beards which means if you have very dry or very sensitive skin you may experience a minor reaction. Both of these products lather well in a variety of water types, temperatures, brush types, etc. Many people say derby lemon smells like Lysol or pinesol, I think it just smells clean and lemony. Buy hey, most people think arko smells like urinal cakes while I find it's neutral ivory soap like aroma to be neutral and enjoyable. There is no seal of any sort so you can always just twist the cap off and see what your nose tells you.

I've used both extensively. There are similarities in the scent but derby lemon is straight up industrial lemon cleaner scent where as arko soap is more of a 'plain soap' scent with a touch of lemon. I happen to like both and despite being under $3 per tube or stick they both have out performed many $10+ soaps and creams I've tried. They both have similar chemical make up and both are designed to be for tough Turkish beards which means if you have very dry or very sensitive skin you may experience a minor reaction. Both of these products lather well in a variety of water types, temperatures, brush types, etc. Many people say derby lemon smells like Lysol or pinesol, I think it just smells clean and lemony. Buy hey, most people think arko smells like urinal cakes while I find it's neutral ivory soap like aroma to be neutral and enjoyable. There is no seal of any sort so you can always just twist the cap off and see what your nose tells you.
I smelled it but it had a really faint smell. But hey 2 euros won't break the bank so I will take it.

I smelled it but it had a really faint smell. But hey 2 euros won't break the bank so I will take it.
. Honestly, at double the price it still would be a good deal. Is it going to be the craziest most game changing lather you've ever used? Not at all. But, it's a simple consistent performer. It's also great for mixing with soaps to give a lemony kick and the small tube size makes it perfect for travel. It also works well as a brush less cream if that is your thing. The scent does open up a bit when you lather it.

I honestly was about to buy either a tube of derby lemon or a stick of arko because they work great but I ended up finding a bunch of cheap proraso locally so I'll hold off. I give a slight notch to arko's performance but it's almost unnoticeable. If you aren't familiar with the use of a shave stick, or prefer creams in general, the derby tube may provide an easier starting experience. Not to say arko is difficult to lather at all, but finding it's 'sweet spot' for you may take a few shaves while the derby is more forgiving.

Nope. If you are looking for a Turkish Shaving Cream Arko Shaving Creams are a better product than Derby Shaving Creams. The Sticks in my opinion are really close, but the creams Arko has the advantage.

Top Bottom