What's new

Does Branding Matter?

Does the identity of the "Brand" of your soap impact what you like? There are brands that are pushing toward elite, refined scents, some top tier cushion and slickness, and other elusive to obtain. I see a lot of conversation about not some choosing not to supporting those makers who's products are unobtanium. I find that the Branding has a huge influence on me ... maybe more than I though it would. I find that I support companies that have ties to places that have been an influence in my life. I find that the more I connect with a Brand Identity or the person creating the product the more I enjoy the product. I also find it difficult to buy a couple of products that people rave about because I just can't identify with the Brand. I purposely haven't singled out any companies. It isn't my point to bash (or promote) anyone. However, I just wondering if others find that they identify with certain Brands and not others, and do you think this impacts the products you gravitate toward daily?

Part of the reason I ask is I don't see hobby seems to be non-traditional in it's approach to products and branding.

Nope... I just look for a reasonable soap that works for me. An Artisans name does not entice me to buy it or the fancy packaging either. Since I live in Missouri the shave soap has to "Show Me" that its good.

I mean a company’s reputation is its brand. As such yea, brand matters. Not choosing a brand that’s well liked, is a form of expression just as much as it is to choose it for the same reason.

At the end of the day, I’m a brand whore. I succumb to marketing. Initially. That’s because I’m ignorant. Eventually I learn what I really like/want - then I’m loyal to that brand.

it has played a part in a few of my buying decisions, but overall I read opinions and reviews and then go from there, I will admit that I feel like brands I might enjoy get left to the wayside because their website is so/so and or the container has a really simple cheap looking label, etc. I'm kind of weird like that though, and if something does work decent I might just roll the dice on it and look past it.

I would say that branding definitely has an impact on my product choices, in conjunction with the product performance and reputation. I have had good interactions with the artisans behind some of my favorite products, which has in turn increased my enjoyment of those brands even more.

When it comes to shave soaps i could care less about branding. It doesnt have to have a fancy label, or a 3 paragraph scent description. If the ingredients look good and the scent sounds like something i would like thats usually all it takes. Positive reviews on the fourms is a plus, but have found some of my all time favorite soaps get little to no mention. Its sad that they dont get the attention they deserve, but the quality speaks for itself IMO.

For me, branding can hurt more than help. I seek out brands based mostly on reviews not on branding. But if the branding is silly or confusing or over the top in some way I might take a pass.

Does the Brand image or the person making the product highly influence your choice in shaving gear? I've found that I am more likely to be influenced by a company that's ethos resonates with me, has a connection to my life, or I have gotten to now a little about the artisan. I find that these influences have much more impact on how much I enjoy each shave. I have troubles spending money on those companies that I don't connect with even when there is a strong following and a host of positive reviews.

It is interesting that in this hobby branding and marketing are more nontraditional.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have bought some soaps on line after looking at the soap tub. The graphics pulled me in. The soap was great but I do fall for branding/packaging in lots of other products as well.

I go for performance, not packaging! I prefer to order ‘replacement pucks’ that get put in my own containers.

I have seen soap reviews that highlight the soap packaging: container, labeling, etc. as if it were one of their most important criteria. I guess if I were purchasing thee soap off the shelf of a shaving vendor, that the packaging might help me find what I am looking for among the myriad of choices. However, since most of my soap purchases are made online, that is less important. I do like packages that have labels on the side of the containers as it is easier for me to find the soap I want among the 70+ soaps in my den. Unfortunately, not many soaps have side labels.

I have soaps and creams that have kept the same formula for decades and I have artisan soaps that were just released a couple of months ago. The two things that are important to me are how the soap smells and how the soap performs. I do not care how good the packaging is or how great the hype if the soap irritates my face, if I do not like the scent, or if the soap does not result in a wonderful shave.

To an extent, I am loyal to certain brands because I like their base, but not necessarily because of how they are branded. A decent tub is important to me, but I guess I don't really care about the labeling or anything else. I just want a quality shave with a nice scent. I do like companies that list out the scent notes or description of the scent. If I already like the base, I can then decide whether or not to buy based on scent. I generally prefer not to see a lot of build up or hype on a soap, I mean in the end, it's a soap!

I think branding is important from product development and placement, but the product still has to perform well.

I do think the artisans and companies that have strong engagement with prospective customers drive more demand for their products and reinforcement of their branding strategy.

Some do this incredibly well across multiple platforms that evangelize their products and stimulate demand.

Yes and no. I don't think there is an answer to that.

Yes, we will buy a soap that comes from an established soapmaker, which means he knows how to make a soap. If he didn't know, he wouldn't be established or we wouldn't know him or he would have stopped business.

No, we won't buy a soap because of the brand, the marketing, the hype, because some "influencer" said to.

I think it makes sense. Or not.

I’m a little ashamed to admit that I am influenced by branding. Having lived my entire 63 years in Chicago, I have many fond memories of the places depicted by Oleo. Montrose Beach, Old Orchard and Rush Street are places I enjoyed in my youth. I didn’t buy B&M Gothic Fougere or Dr Jon’s Propaganda because they connote evil.

I go for performance, not packaging! I prefer to order ‘replacement pucks’ that get put in my own containers.

This statement makes sense if you only use the same soaps over and over and you already know what the performance is. How do you make a decision when trying something new? I think this is where branding and marketing really come into play.

I’m a little ashamed to admit that I am influenced by branding. Having lived my entire 63 years in Chicago, I have many fond memories of the places depicted by Oleo. Montrose Beach, Old Orchard and Rush Street are places I enjoyed in my youth. I didn’t buy B&M Gothic Fougere or Dr Jon’s Propaganda because they connote evil.

I would say you are in the majority (at least when selecting a product you have not used before). I think when trying new products you have to at least somewhat base base your choice off branding and marketing. It's like having a first impression when you meet somebody new for the first time. It's something everybody does whether they realize it or not. Now that doesn't meant your opinion cant change once you get to know the person or soap more. :)

Branding matters. I know that one of the reasons why I was a big fan of Soap Commander, other than the performance of the soap and the scent was the branding. I always liked how they named all of their soaps after qualities that made up a good officer.

Top Bottom