What's new

Does anyone wear a Rolex as their daily timepiece?

A few years ago, for my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a very nice Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I have never worn it for fear that it is too valuable, and that it could get scratched, lost, or stolen. Anyone else wear theirs out and about on a regular basis (or not)?

Dude, wear that watch!!! Get it insured (it costs me about $75 a year for a Rolex and a Les Paul) and wear it!!

I have been enjoying my 16610 Submariner, since 2010, the last batch before Rolex switched to the larger, chunkier model (11610).

sub16610.JPG

I rotate between the Sub Date and a Grand Seiko, and rarely have to reset either, because I mount up again, before the power reserve wanes. I am definitely in the category of wear and enjoy, since guys (mostly) don't have other accessory items - like earrings, etc. for women.

I regularly wear my 16613 two-toned Submariner that my wife gave me for my 50th birthday. I rotate it with other watches but it gets the most wrist time.
proxy.php

I just got myself an Explorer II (black face) for my bday and have work it daily since. It is awesome. First scratch hurt pretty bad (like a new car) but adds character. Now eyeing the next one.......will buy used for any future watches I think. Local AD doesn't do any discounts on new at all. Have been looking at Bob's, they seem legit from what I can tell.

Aloha,

My parents got me a Rolex Air King for my high school graduation. I wore it every day for 20 years and rarely took it off. Even took a shower with it to make sure it was cleaned daily. The only time I would take it off was when I went to sleep. After 20 years I was able to purchase a Submariner of my own. That replaced my Air King as my daily wear for 8 years. That was when I went crazy with collecting all brands of watches. Now it depends on my mood.

Just remember to take it in for servicing every 5 years. Especially as a daily wearer. This will ensure that it will be working as it should.

Mahalo

Always wanted a Rolex...figured I would get one for my 55th birthday. Never did. No interest in one now. I have a Citizen and Casio beater watch that both accomplish the task. Found other outlets for my disposable cash. Like razors, brushes, firearms..
stuff like that.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Always wanted a Rolex...figured I would get one for my 55th birthday. Never did. No interest in one now. I have a Citizen and Casio beater watch that both accomplish the task. Found other outlets for my disposable cash. Like razors, brushes, firearms..
stuff like that.

I kind of feel the same way about ... well, originally it would have been an Omega, and eventually it would have been a Grand Seiko GMT ... about my "grail watch". I have decent watches that accomplish the task admirably, and better things to do with my money.

To each his own.

I wore one daily for well over 15 years. It's a great watch to wear anywhere or with anything. They are meant to be worn, so wear it, unless it's a super rare model, but even the, what's the point of having it if you can't enjoy it.

I wore one daily for well over 15 years. It's a great watch to wear anywhere or with anything. They are meant to be worn, so wear it, unless it's a super rare model, but even the, what's the point of having it if you can't enjoy it.
I bought a used Explorer II in 2010 for my 55th birthday and as a reward for taking a risk and starting a business. It was a huge stretch to do that even used as I have never indulged to that level. i wear the watch daily and rarely take it off. I think this watch is very understated and most people do not even recognize it. It reminds me to be a little more adventuresome every time I look at it. That said, I do not have any desire for a second Rolex.

Your wife bought it for you, wear it to honor her the way she honored you.

Dude, wear that watch!!! Get it insured (it costs me about $75 a year for a Rolex and a Les Paul) and wear it!!
Rolex for the most part is a rugged reliable timepiece. Its inevitable to avoid scratches and even dings. It is all part of the journey for the timepiece. Enjoy it and give it some wrist time as it deserves!

I bought a used Explorer II in 2010 for my 55th birthday and as a reward for taking a risk and starting a business. It was a huge stretch to do that even used as I have never indulged to that level. i wear the watch daily and rarely take it off. I think this watch is very understated and most people do not even recognize it. It reminds me to be a little more adventuresome every time I look at it. That said, I do not have any desire for a second Rolex.

Your wife bought it for you, wear it to honor her the way she honored you.
great story on the thought process of rewarding yourself with an awesome timepiece for you special day and the start of the business venture. Enjoy it and wear it in the best of health!

Aloha,

My parents got me a Rolex Air King for my high school graduation. I wore it every day for 20 years and rarely took it off. Even took a shower with it to make sure it was cleaned daily. The only time I would take it off was when I went to sleep. After 20 years I was able to purchase a Submariner of my own. That replaced my Air King as my daily wear for 8 years. That was when I went crazy with collecting all brands of watches. Now it depends on my mood.

Just remember to take it in for servicing every 5 years. Especially as a daily wearer. This will ensure that it will be working as it should.

Mahalo
Good read....I received my first Rolex as well from my parents when I graduated from college years ago. It was a Submariner I’ve now passed on to my son when he graduated from high school. Like you, its graduated into a fascination with watches for me ranging from GShock to IWC, Panerai, AP, JLC, and Rolex. I see you’re from the 808. I’m born and raised relocating to the mainland for business. We probably know each other from GTG’s over the years.

I daily wore a 42mm white faced Explorer II for about ~6 years and beat the heck out of it, and it performed great and still looked lovely. I bought a Rolex Moon Phase as a dress watch and something to hold me over while I sent the Explorer II in for servicing. When it came back, my authorized dealer happened to have a Yachtmaster 40 with the Oysterflex band (ridiculously comfortable) and I ended up trading the Explorer II in and buying the Yachtmaster Oystersflex as my new daily thumper. Despite it being rose gold - I intend to wear it at least 3-4 days a week (I’ve got other watches I’ll sneak in from time to time) which includes a 80 mile/day commute on a motorcycle, I wear it when doing yard work and physical tasks, swimming, working on cars/motorcycles, etc. Looks amazing.

Don’t be shy with your Rolex’s they can handle a real beating, and frankly that’s what makes me such a fan. When I buy more exotic watches, they tend to be finicky and I have little patience for 6-12 months gone away overseas for service.

The only time I don’t wear a Rolex is when traveling, as they can occasionally generate unwanted attention. I have a Ball GMT in rose gold on an alligator strap for travel I picked up pre-owned at a tremendous deal, which everyone but a watch enthusiast wouldn’t look at twice, and if something happened to it, I wouldn’t mourn the loss like I would other watches.

Wear it, and enjoy it!

I daily wore a 42mm white faced Explorer II for about ~6 years and beat the heck out of it, and it performed great and still looked lovely. I bought a Rolex Moon Phase as a dress watch and something to hold me over while I sent the Explorer II in for servicing. When it came back, my authorized dealer happened to have a Yachtmaster 40 with the Oysterflex band (ridiculously comfortable) and I ended up trading the Explorer II in and buying the Yachtmaster Oystersflex as my new daily thumper. Despite it being rose gold - I intend to wear it at least 3-4 days a week (I’ve got other watches I’ll sneak in from time to time) which includes a 80 mile/day commute on a motorcycle, I wear it when doing yard work and physical tasks, swimming, working on cars/motorcycles, etc. Looks amazing.

Don’t be shy with your Rolex’s they can handle a real beating, and frankly that’s what makes me such a fan. When I buy more exotic watches, they tend to be finicky and I have little patience for 6-12 months gone away overseas for service.

The only time I don’t wear a Rolex is when traveling, as they can occasionally generate unwanted attention. I have a Ball GMT in rose gold on an alligator strap for travel I picked up pre-owned at a tremendous deal, which everyone but a watch enthusiast wouldn’t look at twice, and if something happened to it, I wouldn’t mourn the loss like I would other watches.

Wear it, and enjoy it!
I took a long pause at Rolex Moonphase. That is a very rare and desirable watch.

Top Bottom