What's new

Does anyone use an in wall blade bank?

I figure a jar in the land fill every couple years isn't what's going to send Earth off its axis. Besides, I only use biodegradable plastic...

I cut a slot in the top of a heavy weight plastic pint jar, and glued the lid threads. (We occasionally have little curious great grandkids running around). ;)
I personally do not care for the idea of dumping them in the wall, because someday, someone will have to deal with the mess.

My suggestion is get a plastic jar, put it somewhere safe (kids, etc.) fill it up and put it in the garbage. Then get another. I use a large spice jar with a flip up lid. Keep it under the sink.
May I strongly discourage this? A glass jar or a plastic container in the trash can be broken or ruptured when the trash truck compacts the garbage, with a result of loose razor blades all over wherever.

A better way might be to place them in a tin can and the opening bent or banged firmly shut with a hammer. And then put it in the garbage.

Another better way is once a year to bury the blades in a hole at least 24" deep in a remote area on your property. That's my personal fav.

I consider a slot in the wall is a terrible option. Someday, someone, will have to be confronted with that dangerous mess.

The basic message is safety for others who follow us, be it 5 days or 50 years later.

May I strongly discourage this? A glass jar or a plastic container in the trash can be broken or ruptured when the trash truck compacts the garbage, with a result of loose razor blades all over wherever.

A better way might be to place them in a tin can and the opening bent or banged firmly shut with a hammer. And then put it in the garbage.

Another better way is once a year to bury the blades in a hole at least 24" deep in a remote area on your property. That's my personal fav.

I consider a slot in the wall is a terrible option. Someday, someone, will have to be confronted with that dangerous mess.

The basic message is safety for others who follow us, be it 5 days or 50 years later.
Reasonable suggestions

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I never gave much worry to the blades in the wall are DANGEROUS thing.
If someone is tearing out a wall, a pile of rusted old razor blades are no more dangerous than rusty nails, screws, staples, junction boxes or outlet/switch boxes.
Anyone cleaning up construction demolition debris without caution and good quality work gloves is playing the Darwin game.
As far as trash goes... Blades in a jar would be no more dangerous than the broken glass itself, but I personally put them in a metal can because I don't want to have to pick up the mess if I drop it.

I understand what you are saying, but believe me the heavy weight plastic jar that I'm using would take far more impact then it will be subjected to in the trash truck, or in the landfill.
And I'm not sure of the wisdom of burying Stainless steel razor blades in your yard. It may be okay, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble. But what do I know. :001_rolle

I understand what you are saying, but believe me the heavy weight plastic jar that I'm using would take far more impact then it will be subjected to in the trash truck, or in the landfill.
And I'm not sure of the wisdom of burying Stainless steel razor blades in your yard. It may be okay, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble. But what do I know. :001_rolle
Brother Geezer,
Burying blades in my yard is "a piece of cake." I'm a gardener. I'm always digging around or chopping weeds. My soil is user friendly and somewhat sandy. The blade on my shovel is sharp. I can easily dig a narrow hole 2 feet deep in 2 minutes. Digging such a hole say once a year to bury a handful of used razor blades is hardly an inconvenience. Just a few minutes of valuable light exercise, before going to the gym for more physical exercise.

Probably every conceivable method of disposing of used blades that might be thought of is worthy of some criticism. Probably the best method, all things considered, is to put them in an empty metal soup can to half full, or less, and banging the opening securely shut with a hammer before tossing in the trash. Or maybe laying the can sideways and firmly stepping on the opening with a heavy foot, bending the opening tightly closed, and then a few extra whacks with a heavy hammer to ensure tightness and security.

The underlying concern and purpose of all methods is safety to everyone, and easiness.

I never gave much worry to the blades in the wall are DANGEROUS thing.
If someone is tearing out a wall, a pile of rusted old razor blades are no more dangerous than rusty nails, screws, staples, junction boxes or outlet/switch boxes.
Anyone cleaning up construction demolition debris without caution and good quality work gloves is playing the Darwin game.
As far as trash goes... Blades in a jar would be no more dangerous than the broken glass itself, but I personally put them in a metal can because I don't want to have to pick up the mess if I drop it.

I agree. I found a pile of blades while remodeling a few years ago. It wasn't a big deal to clean up. And you would be a fool to clean them up without gloves.

Brother Geezer,
Burying blades in my yard is "a piece of cake."
I don't think the point is that burying blades is physically exhausting, but is it any better than putting them in a jar and sending them to the landfill? And if anyone starts digging in the yard someday they could be in for a nasty surprise. I'm not expecting to find razor blades digging in my yard. At least if I'm ripping out drywall I'm paying attention to potential hazards from nails, screws, wires, etc.

I recall the original medicine cabinet in my first bungalow built in 1926. There was a blade bank, however, I never used it as I was using carts at the time.
Even if I was using DE at the time, I would have no "interest" in, or from, the bank!

Top Bottom