What's new

Does anyone use an electric razor to do the third pass?

I have had various electric razors over time, and could never get a decent shave from any of them. There wasn't any such thing as passes--just go over, and over, and over, and over your face, and there was still a lot of stubble. I actually had a little battery razor (maybe a Remington) that I used for quick touch-ups when traveling, and it wasn't too bad. But it could never, ever give me a complete, decent shave. Besides, if you think carts are expensive, try replacing the blades on an electric as often as you should.
I replace the shaver head's on my electrics when my face tells me to, not when the shaver maker tells me too. Electric shaving is no more expensive than our little wetshaving hobby.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Never owned an electric razor. I shaved most of my life in the shower with cheap DE razors and disposables. Wore facial hair most of the time. Went through a period of being unemployed and my daughter said no facial hair made me appear younger. I agreed and started shaving my entire face. This led to an interest in vintage razors. Lost dozens of auctions trying to buy a Schick Krona.

I replace the shaver head's on my electrics when my face tells me to, not when the shaver maker tells me too. Electric shaving is no more expensive than our little wetshaving hobby.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Actually, it can be, but like all else, it depends. Five year life cycle cost, DE and electric, used as recommended, daily shave - I include wet shaving software to simplify calculation, and I shave wet with an electric. You could subtract this cost for an electric if you shave dry.:

Braun Series 9 - $310, Amazon
Replacement heads - $50 annually, total $250, Amazon. You will want to do this with a Series 9. Could be a shorter cycle as reported by many, but the razor will give you an annual warning. Never changing the head doesn't count, unless you shave with one DE blade for 5 years. Come to think of it, some might - then subtract the cost for DE blades, below.
Clean & Renew Cartridges, $22 tri-annual, total $330, Amazon
Electricity - have to include this as a cost, but likely minimal, however depends on kwh used. Let's say $10.
Series 9 replacement cost - 5 years is reasonable, could be more, could be less, but warranty for most electrics is 1-2 years, $310, Amazon
Total 5 year cost, electric - $1,210.

Rex Ambassador - $250, RE. Top end, like the Braun, but not a Wolfman or BBS-1, not a Weishi, could be used by anyone.
DE Blades - Say .20 each, used twice. $36.50 annually, total cost $182.50.
Total 5 year cost, DE - $432.50.

You could obviously reduce (or increase) costs for either with modification, but the above is a reasonable comparison as a starting point.

Actually, it can be, but like all else, it depends. Five year life cycle cost, DE and electric, used as recommended, daily shave - I include wet shaving software to simplify calculation, and I shave wet with an electric. You could subtract this cost for an electric if you shave dry.:

Replacement heads - $50 annually, total $250, Amazon. You will want to do this with a Series 9. Could be a shorter cycle as reported by many, but the razor will give you an annual warning. Never changing the head doesn't count, unless you shave with one DE blade for 5 years. Come to think of it, some might - then subtract the cost for DE blades, below.
Electricity - have to include this as a cost, but likely minimal, however depends on kwh used. Let's say $10.
Series 9 replacement cost - 5 years is reasonable, could be more, could be less, but warranty for most electrics is 1-2 years, $310, Amazon

Rex Ambassador - $250, RE. Top end, like the Braun, but not a Wolfman or BBS-1, not a Weishi, could be used by anyone.

You could obviously reduce (or increase) costs for either with modification, but the above is a reasonable comparison as a starting point.

Damnation!!! I had no idea of the cost of electric and Rex razor use. Surely the only reason is ignorance of viable alternatives!!!!! I just cannot imagine having $250 tied up in a vintage Gillette design knock off

Damnation!!! I had no idea of the cost of electric and Rex razor use. Surely the only reason is ignorance of viable alternatives!!!!! I just cannot imagine having $250 tied up in a vintage Gillette design knock off

Actually, a lot of people can imagine that, and have. You could also compare a Weishi and a battery-powered Remington, with likely different results. This was a comparison between equivalents. Forget the Rex - just say $250 high-end razor. There are some. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice....

Actually, a lot of people can imagine that, and have. You could also compare a Weishi and a battery-powered Remington, with likely different results. This was a comparison between equivalents. Forget the Rex - just say $250 high-end razor. There are some. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice....

If you would desire to compare equivalents, many razors exist for $10 that would perform the same as a $250 razor. I mean, with DE safety razors, each just holds the blade.

If you would desire to compare equivalents, many razors exist for $10 that would perform the same as a $250 razor. I mean, with DE safety razors, each just holds the blade.

Absolutely, and that respectively lowers the cost of DE shaving, which was the original question. The Braun is a top-of-the-line electric, so a pricier DE for comparison is reasonable. But you bring up a good point - you can get a fairly equivalent shave with a cheaper DE, but you are unlikely in the extreme to get an equivalent shave from a $20 electric, if any exist. The estimated difference for high-end/high-end is about a factor of 3 for electric vs DE costs. Again, YMMV, and the comparisons are general.

Some good information here. The only thing I would note is that I have electric razors that are over ten years old and going strong. The only reason I recently upgraded was because the old ones were not wet and dry. So with that in mind the cost comparison would be a bit closer.

I know you have noted some modification could affect the cost and some I feel are worth mentioning; many of us use pre shaves with a DE razor as well as various soaps/shave creams etc. If only using an electric razor I think many people would tend to use standard shaving foam/gel which is a lot cheaper. Alum blocks, after shaves are also going to be more likely to be used after DE shaving. Taking all these factors into account I think the cost may be closer still.

Some good information here. The only thing I would note is that I have electric razors that are over ten years old and going strong. The only reason I recently upgraded was because the old ones were not wet and dry. So with that in mind the cost comparison would be a bit closer.

I know you have noted some modification could affect the cost and some I feel are worth mentioning; many of us use pre shaves with a DE razor as well as various soaps/shave creams etc. If only using an electric razor I think many people would tend to use standard shaving foam/gel which is a lot cheaper. Alum blocks, after shaves are also going to be more likely to be used after DE shaving. Taking all these factors into account I think the cost may be closer still.

Good points all. Since I switch back and forth, and get a better shave with soap and lather, I use the same prep for my electric as a DE. Annual software costs are not cheap, and if you shave dry with an electric, or with canned goop, you're going to save money. Most folks will also use one electric, and those of us in the "hobby" are likely to have invested in a considerable number of "necessary" DE razors. On the other hand, you can invest in one DE, $50 or less, get great shaves and never replace it, use .10 blades and get four or five shaves each, use one stick of Arko, and blow any electric out of the water regarding costs. :001_smile It's a whole Universe of shaving, and there's something for everyone! I think as a general statement though, you could say that recurring expenses for an electric, or for that matter cartridges, are likely to be more than for a DE shaver, but likely not significant enough to be an exclusive reason for switching one way or the other. If I just wanted to save money, I'd buy a lifetime supply of Derbys, stock up on Stirling, break out my R89 and call it good. :001_tongu

Last edited:
So I have always had course facial hair with really sensitive skin. So much so that for years I was using electric shavers. However, I always kinda missed wet shaving and when I discovered DE shaving and realised it would help with my previous skin irritation issues I went for it.

However, I struggle doing a third pass ATG. I have been able to do it with the buffing method but it takes a while and I still end up with nicks and irritation which defeats the purpose. So I upgraded my electric shaver to a wet and dry and when doing the third pass I decided to use it instead of the DE razor. I have found this actually gives me the BBS shave that I wanted. I know many may not be a fan of such a method but I know there will be others like me that struggle with a three pass DE shave and for those people it may help you.

Anyone else ever tried this method?

I've been DE wetshaving for approximately 6 years and still can't shave all of the hair under my nose no matter how I maneuver the razor. Therefore, I must use an electric to shove into the corners beneath my nose to get the strays.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
No, I either wet shave or very occasionally now, use my electric, but I've never combined the two, but if it works for you, it's NOT wrong.

Well. Not me. I firmly believe that electric shavers retain skin oils, bacteria etc. and are hard to clean - resulting in acne, regardless of your age.

However what works for you may/will work for others, too.

AA

I can't imagine an easier to clean electric than a Panasonic Arc-5. You put some soft soap on the foil and there is a special vibration mode it goes into for 20 seconds. Then take the foil off and rinse. Then more soft soap on the actual blade block and another 20 seconds. Rinse. It's perfect. Looks great, smells great and no need for expensive cleaning solution systems.

Hell, I didn't get acne when was a teen and I'm sure not getting any now. I did shave regularly with an electric for well over a decade. Not saying acne can't be an issue for some, just not me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've been DE wetshaving for approximately 6 years and still can't shave all of the hair under my nose no matter how I maneuver the razor. Therefore, I must use an electric to shove into the corners beneath my nose to get the strays.

Steven if you want to just wetshave and not use and electric at all these work well.

I am on and off using electric but I sometimes find that some touch ups need to be done with a razor.
Sometimes there are some flat lying hair that the Philips that I have will not pick up. I think Electric works great for a super quick comfortable shave. But I find it is really important to use it every day or I will get those hairs that are difficult to get picked up.

I use a Mach 3 for the second and third passes, as I use an injector for the first pass. I go ATG on my neck with the injector as it's designed to do so. Just don't stretch your skin.

This. No offense to the OP but I can’t beleive this is even a question.

I believe the title of this particular forum is "Modern Shaving Systems." Of which shaving with an electric razor is one. Lasers would be appropriate also, if anyone around here shaves with one.

While that may be, modern was trumped by safety lol.

And of course, the best of all possible worlds:

proxy.php

Top Bottom