What's new

Does anyone switch back and forth to cartridges?

I've been wet shaving for about 4 months now and can't imagine ever switching back to carts. Intially I said that when in a hurry I would use my Mach3 for a quick shave but now after fully immersing my self in brush and DE razors I dont see it. I do keep my Mach3 in my shaving kit to trim the corners of my mustache but that's it, I'm a wet shaver.

The area under my nose and above my upper lip sometimes chaps when I am out playing golf, especially when windy. When that area is chapped, I will occasionally break out my fusion and shave just that area with the cart as it seems to aggravate the chapped area less. The cart lasts a long, long time as that is the only use it ever gets except when I am traveling I get a little lazy and just use the cart.

I have some cartridges to use up so I do. But I should add that I primarily shave only with the grain and typically one pass only.

I will keep a single blade bic disposable for emergencies. No more Mach 3 for me. The bic disposable is a as far as I want to get from a DE safety razor.

I use one when i need the true BBS shave under my chin, and am in a rush (I have a Dorco Pace 6 that was given to me for this). Always seems to cause issues for the next DE shave though......

I will keep a single blade bic disposable for emergencies. No more Mach 3 for me. The bic disposable is a as far as I want to get from a DE safety razor.

I used to use those a lot and I think I still have a few lying around. What got me started was when I used to sell office supplies. We had a Bic rep who called on the owners and would pass these out as free samples. As I recall, they did a reasonable job.

Seeing as I spend 13-15 days a month "on the road" (air travel, no checked bags), my answer is, "yes."

I occasionally use a trac 2 for travel. It does a good job. Most of the time I stick to a de or more recently a sr.

I've been wet shaving for about 4 months now and can't imagine ever switching back to carts. Intially I said that when in a hurry I would use my Mach3 for a quick shave but now after fully immersing my self in brush and DE razors I dont see it. I do keep my Mach3 in my shaving kit to trim the corners of my mustache but that's it, I'm a wet shaver.

May i suggest a single edge, like a Schick injector. In my humble opinion, they are perfect for shaping out beard/mustache lines. Besides a straight razor, i can't think of a better razor for that.

I don't do the four passes with DE, my face wouldn't survive it, and one and a half passes does a somewhat better job than the electric shaver I was using - so I am happy.

But if I want a really close shave which is nearly equivalent to four passes, then Gillette Fusion and Mach3, Schick Extreme and Hydro, King Of Shaves Azor are excellent razors, which achieve a very close shave - solely going with the grain. So I use them mostly every now and them when I want variety or a very close shave. Single and double blade cartridge razors I do not like at all.

However, when I have used my big collection of cartridge razors too often continuously, I have run into problems and had to revert to mild DE razors like Gillette Tech and Weber DLC while my face recovered.
Regards,
Renato

Well my collection includes - Injector, DE, Feather SS, Cut Throat, Trac II, Mach III, BIC Twin, Fusion Pro Glide and the Three and Five blade Schick Hydro. I can get a great shave from every one of these except the Straight and Feather (just haven't mastered that open blade, yet!). If I had to go with just one, it would actually be an easy choice, the Mach III.

Many years ago when I made the move from the just introduced Fusion to the DE, I thought I would never use a cartridge again. Now I find the Mach III gives me the closest and most comfortable shaves of everything I have tried and has become my faithfull go to just about every morning.

I started using the Sensor when it first came out and continued with it probably for most of the 1990s. To be perfectly honest, and please don't throw me off the forum for this, but I really don't think it's a bad shave at all. It's fast and comfortable, almost impossible to cut or nick yourself, and I like how the small, narrow cartridge allows you to get at hard-to-reach areas under your nose and around the chin.

I still use a Sensor Excel now and then with the Edge goo just for old times' sake, and I almost always use a disposable Sensor when traveling. I also have an original Sensor, still in the package, that I found in my late father's bathroom.

$2014-01-09-2.jpg

$2014-03-11_09-41-59_984.jpg

:thumbup1:
Just because most of us won't use them, doesn't mean they are worthless, in fact carts work VERY well IMHO. Apart from the price.

I guess it depends on the beard.
Carts always give my razor bumps and ingrown hairs and if I use them on anything other than 1 day's growth, they tug and snag at my beard something awful.

Top Bottom