What's new

Does anyone switch back and forth to cartridges?

Yes. I really like the Trac II. I think it's a great shaver, and I have two that were both purchased as NOS. The '73 Trac II deluxe is actually the prize of my limited razor collection.

I refuse to use a cart even while traveling. It probably only takes me 5 more mins to de shave than what it did to shave with a cart. Time well spent.

The benefit I get from the DE is that it allows me to shave my neck without breaking out. That and I find the whole overall shave more enjoyable and less irritating. That being said, 1 day a week I need a very close smooth shave, and the TracII gets me into that spot under my nose and my 'stache corners wonderfully. The nice thing is, using it this way, a blade can last potentially all year long, and at 5 blades for a buck :)
$IMAG1457.jpg

A few months ago I was in a rush and thought using a cart would be quicker but the shave was so irritating I vowed not to do that again. If I am in a hurry I use the Musgo real Cream brushless and my DE and I am just as quick as with Froth and Cart but get nicer results. I only keep a cart for when I am flying with carry on only and I have yet to fly that way.

This happened to me today.....Since I fell in love with DE shaving a few months ago, I vowed never to back to my old friend the Mach III. I still have the razor, but no carts. Well, as fate would have it, I was running late for work today and simply didn't have the time to DE shave. I was wishing I had even just one cart in the house to do a quite 5 minute hack job. Alas....had to go to work with a one day growth and shave when I got home.

I'll use the Mach 3 when late for work or something like that. I can crank out a shave in about 2 minutes with that thing. Close enough to pass a visual test, but never the feel test. At least I stopped using canned cream. I'll still whip up something interesting with a brush regardless of whatever razor I choose. I never get nicks or burn with a Mach 3, which is the goal when I have about 2 minutes to shave, but I'll end up shaving again later that day or early the next because it's never close or satisfying.

I get the Gillette Fusion Proglide for free in sample packs so I use them when I am lazy or check want to see how many more shaves I can still get out of my first one. If it wasn't for these freebies I would be using my Injectors on my lazy days because they do just as well.

Here's my take on cartridges:

Failing at carts is what brought me to B&B to begin with. I was always unhappy with my shaves, carts would tear my neck to ribbons. As soon as I "learned" to shave properly with a DE my problem's were virtually gone.
Now when I occasionally use a cartridge I get some really incredible results. Honestly, some of my best shaves come from using a cart now. In my opinion, most folks like me who had trouble using a cartridge razor suffered from poor technique. Upon switching to a DE they gained proper knowledge of using a razor, and if they switched back to a cartridge I can almost guarantee satisfactory results.

Having said that, I rarely use a cart. When I'm in a hurry I'd prefer to skip a shave rather than use a cartridge. I don't find it nearly as fun as much as using a DE, and I enjoy the attention that a DE commands. YMMV.

Last edited:
I started using the Sensor when it first came out and continued with it probably for most of the 1990s. To be perfectly honest, and please don't throw me off the forum for this, but I really don't think it's a bad shave at all. It's fast and comfortable, almost impossible to cut or nick yourself, and I like how the small, narrow cartridge allows you to get at hard-to-reach areas under your nose and around the chin.

I still use a Sensor Excel now and then with the Edge goo just for old times' sake, and I almost always use a disposable Sensor when traveling. I also have an original Sensor, still in the package, that I found in my late father's bathroom.

View attachment 423578

View attachment 423576

This is the razor I received in the mail when I turned 18, in 1992. Sweet! I used this damn thing for probably 12 years.

Failing at carts is what brought me to B&B to begin with. I was always unhappy with my shaves, carts would tear my neck to ribbons. As soon as I "learned" to shave properly with a DE my problem's were virtually gone.

Now when I occasionally use a cartridge I get some really incredible results. Honestly, some of my best shaves come from using a cart now. In my opinion, most folks like me who had trouble using a cartridge razor suffered from poor technique. Upon switching to a DE they gained proper knowledge of using a razor, and if they switched back to a cartridge I can almost guarantee satisfactory results.
That's pretty much what I see as well. I still have some old disposable razors and cartridges that I try to use up in bits and spurts. Using the same technique that I would with a DE I get pretty much the same quality of shave. I can't do a 3-pass shave with a Mach 3 or Quatro razor, though, or I start getting razor burn on the third pass. If I'm using one of those I have to limit myself to a 2-pass shave which doesn't give me as good a result.

As for saving time, doing multiple passes with the DE doesn't take any longer than multiple passes with the disposable razor or cartridge, so I never noticed any time savings with them. It never occurred to me to slow down when I changed to the DE.

I've been wet shaving for about 4 months now and can't imagine ever switching back to carts. Intially I said that when in a hurry I would use my Mach3 for a quick shave but now after fully immersing my self in brush and DE razors I dont see it. I do keep my Mach3 in my shaving kit to trim the corners of my mustache but that's it, I'm a wet shaver.

I felt so liberated from carts that first year that I offered to become a Bronze contributor if someone would take my Fusion off my hands.

Every once in a while I have a fleeting thought about trying a cartridge again to see if I'd fare better with all the knowledge I've acquired from traditional shaving but I always seem to talk myself out of it.

I do ... For fun ... But not very often.

I happen to like the injectors and the Atra.

However, now I have more time and am enjoying my gillette adjustable again
along with shavette shaves.

I have not touched a multi-blade razor or single blade disposable since i started wet shaving 18 months ago - I dont know why I would do that!!!

Top Bottom