What's new

Does anyone switch back and forth to cartridges?

I may use one here and there if I notice a spot I may have missed after the bathroom is clean and all hardware and software is put away....minor touch-ups only

I'd use a cartridge / disposable if I had to travel by air without being able to check in luggage, but would probably prefer to post DE blades ahead or pick some up when I arrived if possible.

I did used to manage with cartridges before I went to a DE, and now that I know about proper prep and lather I'd probably get fairly decent results, but I don't think I'd enjoy it much.

I guess it depends on the beard.
Carts always give my razor bumps and ingrown hairs and if I use them on anything other than 1 day's growth, they tug and snag at my beard something awful.

I know. Probably you were using foam or canned gel weren't you? I know it is true carts clog much easier and all that, but as for the shaving comfort, in my experience they weren't so bad. I always used a brush and Palmolive cream, for many, many years... It was working perfectly for me. Just that I got tired of the price, and I also didn't enjoy shaving as I do now.
My wife was complaining all the time... :lol: I started to think about what could I do to make me enjoy shaving more often, and discovered DE shaving. I figured millions of men, all those decades using DE razors couldn't be wrong... and they weren't. :thumbup:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
May i suggest a single edge, like a Schick injector. In my humble opinion, they are perfect for shaping out beard/mustache lines. Besides a straight razor, i can't think of a better razor for that.
George; I agree. It's like shaving with a cart without the clogging and cost. I haven't used my carts since joining B&B but I'm not throwing them out, either.

Had to when on vacation a few weeks ago. While I found the shave itself wasn't much worse than a DE, I go some ingrown/irritation on my neck from it.

I get it...carrying a DE razor with razors onto an airliner is most likely a no-no. How about a ceramic razor? Do they make ceramic DE razors? Well if they don't the should. It sure would help you travel guys.

During WWII, and for about six or seven years after, Gillette made razors in bakelite , an early form of plastic. I don't know if would pass airline muster, but you certainly can find them in the vintage market.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/250784-2x-WWII-G-I-Gillette-Tech-Bakelite-Boxed-Razors

I still keep some for head shaving in the shower. I haven't used one in some time but they are quicker with fewer cuts. I haven't completely mastered head shaving with a DE.

I didn't toss my disposable razors and cartridges when I started shaving with a DE because I'm cheap. I saw it as a waste of money to just toss the stuff. I figured I would eventually use it up shaving the back of my neck or traveling. It turned out that I shave my neck just fine with the DE and I haven't flown anywhere.

Now I go back to the modern shaving systems each year during Lent. Last year I used the last Mach 3 cartridge, but I'll be a couple more years using the Atra-compatible store brand cartridges and disposables I already had on hand at the time of my conversion.

I know. Probably you were using foam or canned gel weren't you? I know it is true carts clog much easier and all that, but as for the shaving comfort, in my experience they weren't so bad. I always used a brush and Palmolive cream, for many, many years... It was working perfectly for me. Just that I got tired of the price, and I also didn't enjoy shaving as I do now.
My wife was complaining all the time... :lol: I started to think about what could I do to make me enjoy shaving more often, and discovered DE shaving. I figured millions of men, all those decades using DE razors couldn't be wrong... and they weren't. :thumbup:

Yeah, I was also using canned gel "creams" as well, so that prolly didn't help either.
Now that you mention it, while I have been shaving with a DE razor for over 10 years now, I only recently made the switch from Nivea gel to Proraso creams in the last 2 months and my shaves have improved drastically.

Maybe I should switch back to carts!

naaah! :wink2:

I started using the Sensor when it first came out and continued with it probably for most of the 1990s. To be perfectly honest, and please don't throw me off the forum for this, but I really don't think it's a bad shave at all. It's fast and comfortable, almost impossible to cut or nick yourself, and I like how the small, narrow cartridge allows you to get at hard-to-reach areas under your nose and around the chin.

I still use a Sensor Excel now and then with the Edge goo just for old times' sake, and I almost always use a disposable Sensor when traveling. I also have an original Sensor, still in the package, that I found in my late father's bathroom.

View attachment 423578

View attachment 423576

I agree. I actually have much love for the original sensor. I wish i hadn't thrown mine out years ago. It was the best cartridge razor i've ever used and all the silly ones after that were rediculous.

But now that I wet shave i'll never use a cartridge razor, especially if i'm in a rush. I'd just do a 1 pass with the edwin jagger and be perfectly presentable and have a happy face.

now that I know about proper prep and lather I'd probably get fairly decent results, but I don't think I'd enjoy it much.

I started using a double edge razor in about 1982. I would alternate between that and a cartridge of one form or another until a couple years ago when I decided it was one blade or nothing. I had always used a brush, though there, too, I would sometimes use a can of foam if I couldn't find cream or soap for the brush.

I never knew whether the irritation, bumps and ingrown hairs I got were from the crazy old school methods I would try to employ or from the cartridges, which for me would always clog, maybe because I didn't shave every day. Don Johnson was on TV every Friday night with the greatest guest villains ever cast, what can I say?

Since going completely old school, straights or safety, I don't have the problems I used to. They've been replaced by new ones. I mean, I used to have one brush and two razors, the cart and the DE. Now . . . but that's another post.

The short answer, then, is no.

I use a Gillette Guard for head shaving and occasionally use a Sensor Excel or M5 if I am in a hurry on face. I've also got a Trac II handle lying around.

I use a Mach 3 and canned shaving cream when I travel. They work well for me, but I prefer a DE with my brush and soaps. I never
use canned goo at home.

Last edited:
SWMBA adopted my cart handles and spare cartridges a few years back. I do enjoy a fresh cartridge from time to time and she seems to be unable to detect if a cart is fresh from the packet or months old. So, every so often I use a shiny new Mach3/Wilkinson/KoS cart for the first shave or two and then pass it on to a life of gunked up leg shaving for months on end.

A few months ago I was in a rush and thought using a cart would be quicker but the shave was so irritating I vowed not to do that again. If I am in a hurry I use the Musgo real Cream brushless and my DE and I am just as quick as with Froth and Cart but get nicer results. I only keep a cart for when I am flying with carry on only and I have yet to fly that way.

I have not shaved with a cart since I started traditional wet shaving almost a year and a half ago. Not one shave with a cart.

No. However, I have to make a confession: Yesterday, as I was getting ready to soak my brush and moisten my puck (boy, that sounds off-color :blushing:), I realized that the train that I had to catch was actually leaving an hour earlier than I had thought when I set my alarm the night before. AAGGHH!!! I did a 2-minute shower (remembering my days at Fort Polk) and then did the unthinkable --- a quick skim with a... Norelco! Mea culpa. Having undergone that ordeal, I promptly went back to a New Long Comb with a Feather this morning. Boy, I sure missed it.

Top Bottom