What's new

Does ANYONE routinely use Feather blades?

I bought a pack of Feathers recently and tried out one for the first time in my 1950's Gillette Rocket just recently. The Rocket is quite mild and the Feather really suited it, however, I only got two shaves out of it. By the third shave it was just pulling and tugging. Is this normal for a Feather?

cheers
Andrew

I think it really depends on a lot of variables.

I have very tough and wiry facial hair and yet I just had a fifth BBS shave with the same Feather blade and it doesn’t seem to get much worse.

Yet for some people it barely lasts three shaves.

While afraid to use Feathers for years and then ultimately giving them a chance, I have found the following:
  • When new they are my favorite blade.
  • They dull more quickly then any of my other top tier blades.
  • I typically discard my top blades after 4 shaves because I do not want to experience uncomfortable blades in order to save pennies a year, the Feathers get uncomfortable to me after 3 shaves.
  • Even though less comfortable, the 4th shave was still a close dfs to bbs shave.

Routinely? No. Only a few times a year when one of Castro's nephews hand delivers a box of Cohiba Esplendidos to my villa. And I call it a villa because it is sheathed in stucco. Not because it has one bathroom.

I don't have a routine blade, but the Feathers are the best I've had so far. If forced to go to one blade only, I would choose Astra SP as the routine, but, there are so many to try and such little time... Same with beer. I don't have a routine beer, but Guinness is the best I've had so far. If forced to go to one beer only, I'd drink Labatt Blue, but there are so many to try and such little time...

I just got 100 on sale to replenish before the 2020 Sabbatical. Love them in milder razors such as Tech and SLOC. Prefer different blades in more aggressive razors, though.

I used Feathers almost exclusively for a couple of months, then switched to a fresh Astra SP in R41 this morning... yes almost as good. Basically Astra is just a little tiny step below in performance - smooth and sharp, just a little less sharp and a little less smooth. Actually, I've always described Feathers as ASP Deluxe.

I can stretch a Feather through a week of daily shaving (5-6 shaves), so the difference in price is really negligible. We are talking 3-4 cents a day vs 1.5 cents a day. In absolute terms Feather is double the price, but in the real world both are cheap as dirt. Even if a Feather lasted only three shaves which seems to be the experience for some people, we're still talking about only $20 per year in blades for someone shaving 6 days a week, every week. That's like four lattes at Starbucks vs a year of shaving.

So, even though I have a large stash of Astra SPs from when it was my blade of choice, ever since switching to Feathers I am not looking back. ASP is a fine blade, but Feather gives me a smoother, cleaner shave.

I bought a pack of Feathers recently and tried out one for the first time in my 1950's Gillette Rocket just recently. The Rocket is quite mild and the Feather really suited it, however, I only got two shaves out of it. By the third shave it was just pulling and tugging. Is this normal for a Feather?

cheers
Andrew
I really love sharp blades and Feathers are the sharpest right out of the pack. However, there are other blades that get just as sharp after the first or second shave as the coating wears. I find that Feathers do seem to dull quickly and by shave 4 can start pulling. They then seem to stabilize for a couple of shaves but I seldom use them past 3 shaves. The only blade I comfortably get 7 shaves from are GSBs. But other sharp blades I use include my favorite Nacet and Gillette 7'Oclock Black. I also enjoy Polsilvers, Personna Reds, and Permasharps just behind those other 4.

I'm again an outlier. I only use razors considered "aggressive," though I prefer the term "blade-forward and efficient." For example, Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC, R41 2011, Ikon Tech, Wolfman 1.35 OC, etc. I'm fairly agnostic about my blades (other than Voskhod and Merkur). Feather, Kai, GSB, Polsilver SI, Wizamet, Personna Med Prep, Nacet, Gillette Black, etc.--they all work for me, and I can't tell much difference among them.

FWIW, I think Feathers work beautifully and routinely in mild(er) razors. Hit or miss as one goes up the aggressive razor scale. Everyone's face, skin, hair is different though.

Is there what seems like more glue on the blade off the wrapper than any other blade...or is it just me?

I have tried feather blades. The first 2 shaves are the worst as far as weepers. the 3rd shave is probably the best (for me). Shave #4 is the same as #3.

Great blades! Like a samurai katana) Every time I need to shave very cleanly, I take them. But always the first time it is too sharp. Shave them daily - my skin does not tolerate. I use them in Rockwell 6s on 3 plate

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don't routinely use them but I do like using them in milder razors. I get great shaves using Feathers in my Techs or my Merkur 34C or G. I put off using them for a very long time as I had read so much about the carnage that always seemed to occur with first time users.

Waaay too harsh for my face. Although, I’m not sure I’ve tried them in the Game Changer .68. Can’t imagine the extra cost being worth it over Astra SP’s.

I love the Feather blades which are very sharp. I find i can cut myself easier with them because of it however. I am trying thr Parker Premium blades right now and my first impressions are very positive. Not as sharp as Feather but they still cut very well.

I tried Feathers and could not shave with them without a transfusion, except in my Techs. My daily blade is the Astra SP although I love Polsilvers when I can get them and I like Gillette Silver Blues too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
They only give me two good shaves, so they are too expensive for frequent use. My daily has been PolSilver SI for quite a few years now.

There are some shavers with beards so tough they need Feathers, but I get the same results with the PolSilvers and they last at least twice as long.

Top Bottom