What's new

Does ANYONE routinely use Feather blades?

I too used them with a mild razor. Now, however, I use them with the RR Gamechanger .84 and they now act calm and composed instead of raring to slice. In fact, I had to check the razor to see what blade was loaded due to the smoothness and 10 shaves. I can now shave w/ Feathers all the time.

marty

Too right hey, I thought the same with RR jaws, tamed it nicely

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I pulled a Feather out of hibernation two weeks ago. I paired it with my Fatip Grande (chrome). It is a really nice smooth blade. I really enjoyed that week.
015_25.jpg

As others have said, Feather blades pair up nicely with mild razors for me. A Feather works great in my 34C or Rockwell 6S.

I just bought 200 and am planning on making them my blade of choice, to replace / complement Astra SP. To me, Feather is like ASP Deluxe - a bit sharper and a whole lot smoother (and I still like ASP).

It must really depend on the razor. I’ve used at least three Feathers so far in my Variant set to 3.5, for about 4-5 days each, and I actually cut myself less than with some other blades. The worst by far was Bolzano, literally gouging chunks of skin out of my face with no warning. I also seem to get a couple fresh weepers every time I use a Personna Blue, although not nearly as bad. Feather - to me and in that razor - is the king of smooth, irritation free shaves. I am trying now to see if I could make it last an entire week.

I use them in every razor I own almost every day. I have so many tucks of other blades that once or twice a week I’ll sub out a GSB, Astra SP, lab blue among many and aways feel a feather would have done a better job. I have course hair and feather glides right through them. So long as my technique is good it’s a great shave

They are my favorite blade in my Timeless Titanium 0.68. I was afraid of them for years but when I gave the a try, they excelled. Smooth and sharp for me. I will get around to using the in other razors but the Timeless gets over 90% of my shaves when I’m home.

I’ve used them many times in my EJ 89 and Merkur 34c and they were great! I’ll have to pick up some more.

For me, Feathers are about the worst of the highly touted modern blades. There are plenty of sharp enough blades on the market, smoothness is the most important characteristic in a blade along with sharp enough and Feathers seem to have ignored that completely. For me.
YMMV, of course.

used on yday with the jaws and it was excellent, used the same blade today with the 6C on plate 6 and was a bit rough

I use only Personna Red, Feather and KAI in my 6S - I have no pattern of rotation but simply follow my mood. So I use Feather blades on average for a week per month and am satisfied with the results.

I bought a pack of Feathers recently and tried out one for the first time in my 1950's Gillette Rocket just recently. The Rocket is quite mild and the Feather really suited it, however, I only got two shaves out of it. By the third shave it was just pulling and tugging. Is this normal for a Feather?

cheers
Andrew

Yes @Mouette that can happen.
I do wonder though if it's not a fault of the Feather (and they are 1 of my favourite blades), but 'maybe' the user is riding the comb/bar of the razor and so dragging the blade edge across the whiskers. This would produce the roughness that some folks feel, and also reduce the blade life. Have you tried riding the cap a bit more?
This may give a better 'angle of attack' and the blade edge could then cut not scrape.
Maybe razor dependent, as head geometry probably varies a lot between razors.
Your description of pulling and tugging suggests a flattened/bent/blunt blade edge which makes me think that it may help if you try to ride the cap a bit more and see if that improves the shaves and longevity of the blade.
Feathers work well in my FatBoy, NEW (LC and SC), Slim 'Twist', Black Beauty, and Tech's, so I'm fairly sure that the Rocket head/cap will have a similar geometry.
I can easily get 7 - 8 nice smooth shaves with a Feather in any of my Gillette razors. I tend to throw the blade away then anyway, as I'm not into marathon blade life. Feathers even love my Timeless OC and Fatip Piccolo....nice smooth shaves.

Top Bottom