What's new

Does anyone offer restoration/honing services?

I just took a very small and tentative step down the road to trying a straight, I bought a J.A. Henckels Zwillingswer straight at eBay (item 6619916322). I'm in only for $8.75 so far, so it's not too late to back out. :rolleyes: Anyway, I don't want to try my first shave with a razor that I have honed myself. So, can anyone give me some contact information for someone who does restoration/honing (assuming that the razor edge is free from nicks and gouges when it arrives). I would be grateful for any leads.

Dave

murchmb said:
Lynn Abrams is one of the best. Robert Williams is good too. He's PapaBull at SRP.

Dave,

Lynn and Robert are two of the best. Both may be a bit backlogged. Lynn's father recently passed away and Robert is recovering from a heart attack.

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, gentlemen. Given that each has a backlog and given the very low cost of the razor I bought, perhaps I should rethink. It may make more sense to buy a razor that has already been honed and save my cheapie for learning the task myself. I know of Billy's Blades, are there any other vendors selling pre-honed straights that I should look at? Again, thanks for the help.

Dave

djohannsen said:
Thank you, gentlemen. Given that each has a backlog and given the very low cost of the razor I bought, perhaps I should rethink. It may make more sense to buy a razor that has already been honed and save my cheapie for learning the task myself. I know of Billy's Blades, are there any other vendors selling pre-honed straights that I should look at? Again, thanks for the help.

Dave

Bill Ellis is a first class guy. Also check the Gear for Sale at SRP. You'll find it in the User's Gallery.

Randy

I think Robert Williams has some inexpensive, shave ready razors. Some of the best shavers out there start out as cheap eBay specials. Drop him a line and see what he can do for you.

murchmb said:
I think Robert Williams has some inexpensive, shave ready razors. Drop him a line and see what he can do for you.

I'm sorry, but can you point me to a way to locate Mr. Williams (sorry, but I'm a novice and I don't know anyone in the community yet).

murchmb said:
Some of the best shavers out there start out as cheap eBay specials.

I think that the razor that I bought should turn out to be a nice one. It's a three rivet Henkels. I think that I scored it cheap because it's a narrow blade (looks like 4/8 or narrower, if blades come narrower than 4/8) and the seller is in Switzerland and the scales are simple black. So, I am looking forward to getting that nice German steel honed up and shave ready (the seller laughably claimed that it is "mint" and "ready for use" while at the same time saying she knows it's sharp because it cut stuff :w00t: ).

Thank you for the help in getting me down the road to trying a straight.

Dave

djohannsen said:
I'm sorry, but can you point me to a way to locate Mr. Williams (sorry, but I'm a novice and I don't know anyone in the community yet).

Dave,

You can contact Robert at SRP. His member name is Papa Bull. Or you can reach him at SER, his website, and his member name is Robert Williams.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Dave,

You can contact Robert at SRP. His member name is Papa Bull. Or you can reach him at SER, his website, and his member name is Robert Williams.

Randy

Doh! I didn't even notice that this was the same name as appeared above. :blush: Thanks for helping me extract my head from a dark and unpleasant place. :001_smile

Dave

You can pick up a norton 4k/8k for $65 and a strop for about $35. That is $100 that would be needed to hone and maintain a straight razor.

You could prob. pick up some cheap stones that would take a long time to hone and use a belt to strop but your chances of success might not be as high.

obsessis said:
You can pick up a norton 4k/8k for $65 and a strop for about $35. That is $100 that would be needed to hone and maintain a straight razor.

I guess that I was thinking that if I sent the razor out for its first hone, then I could put off buying a hone for some time. I could get in the door for the price of the razor (negligable), a strop and the (outsourced) hone. It's my understanding that honing needn't be done all that frequently. So, I could see if I can get the hang of the straight and see whether I enjoy it. If so, then I could spring for the hone before the razor needed to be rehoned. Anyway, this is what I was thinking.

Dave

i would be more than happy to hone it for you. granted i will have to practice a bit on my 'practice razors' and it might not come back as sharp as it could be.

maybe someone here would be nice and do it. someone at SRP might do it but I think they are prob. weary of people coming in, asking for help and leaving. if you joined, asked lots of questions and stuff to show you weren't a flake and then asked for help somebody would.

djohannsen said:
I guess that I was thinking that if I sent the razor out for its first hone, then I could put off buying a hone for some time. I could get in the door for the price of the razor (negligable), a strop and the (outsourced) hone. It's my understanding that honing needn't be done all that frequently. So, I could see if I can get the hang of the straight and see whether I enjoy it. If so, then I could spring for the hone before the razor needed to be rehoned. Anyway, this is what I was thinking.

Dave

I had the same idea as you so I opted to buy a feather straight razor. i figured i could resell it for almost the same price and try out straights without all the maintenance and costs associated.

after i bought it, though, i felt kind of cheated.....i am really into the idea of fixing/cleaning/sharpening razors. i felt cheated of the experience so i said f' it and picked up some stuff that i needed.

once i shaved for the first time with my feather i was glad i tried a 'real' straight. it def. feels more manly than a safety razor....i kind of think safety razors are the 'girly' way of shaving now. after using a straight you (at least i) feel like i'm shaving like a bad-***.

obsessis said:
I had the same idea as you so I opted to buy a feather straight razor. i figured i could resell it for almost the same price and try out straights without all the maintenance and costs associated.

after i bought it, though, i felt kind of cheated.....i am really into the idea of fixing/cleaning/sharpening razors. i felt cheated of the experience so i said f' it and picked up some stuff that i needed.

once i shaved for the first time with my feather i was glad i tried a 'real' straight. it def. feels more manly than a safety razor....i kind of think safety razors are the 'girly' way of shaving now. after using a straight you (at least i) feel like i'm shaving like a bad-***.

I agree all the way around. I am not one of those people who is fixated on some sort of unattainable "perfect shave," ever dancing just out of reach like a will o' the wisp. :001_smile I am interested in a straight because I have the kind of personality that loves minutia and arcana (you should see my vintage pen collecting "library and notes"). I want to take the time to acquire the full suite of tools and knowledge and then master the skill. For some reason I'm not interested in collecting safety razors, but I could see myself heading down the collecting path with straights. Anyway, I've plunked down a lot of money of late, so I'm not in too big of a hurry (a little more experience with a safety can't hurt anyway). I'll try to do a bit more research on honing a straight and then try to decide if I want my first straight shave to be with a razor that I've honed. :w00t: (Actually, I'm not "afraid" of a little bit of razor burn or a nick or two, so maybe I'll try the honing myself.) Again, Joseph, thank you for everything.

Dave

Top Bottom