What's new

Does anyone know why the plastic WS safety razor wears out so fast?

Maybe it's just the plastic wearing out and that's that.

But I find that after about 6 months the screwing mechanism loses so much of its grip eventually to the point where it's pretty much impossible to shave anymore.

I've worked out that it isn't the cap portion of the razor doing it, because I can use these interchangeably without a problem. So I guess it's within the body of the razor.

Maybe it's just the thread within the razor wearing down over time, as it's only made of plastic. Or maybe it's something else. And maybe it's fixable in some way!

Hope springs eternal, eh? lol

I just wondered if anyone knew of any tricks that I didn't!

Thanks all :)

A Lord L5 or a Gillette Super Blue should be in the same price range with a metal on metal connection.

577661A3-7DFA-4FDB-9FF4-747B12724AD2.jpeg

545B4E18-604D-4EEB-A1C3-5BEE15A48CA8.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yes it’s plastic maybe you overtightened it?

Al @AimlessWanderer used one for ages and I have used one for 3-4 years without any problems. So while it is not built for generations it is a decent albeit mild shaver.

Thanks for the mention, Hannes.

I used mine pretty much exclusively for 20 years (bought it in my late teens in the early 90's), and it is still going strong. I've actually been using it again since the beginning of last month. As mine is 30 years old, it may be that the materials are a bit different nowadays, but I suspect it's more likely due to overtightening.

Thanks for the mention, Hannes.

I used mine pretty much exclusively for 20 years (bought it in my late teens in the early 90's), and it is still going strong. I've actually been using it again since the beginning of last month. As mine is 30 years old, it may be that the materials are a bit different nowadays, but I suspect it's more likely due to overtightening.

It's possible. To be honest I don't know how tight is too tight! Maybe I'm just used to metal threads in things and they tend to be a lot more durable so I don't need to think of this stuff. I'll try to be more careful in future and see if that does the trick.

I do think other than that it's a very good razor and I've been using it for a long time also.

@Multum in parvo I like metal razors too but I just find this one is very well designed in some other ways. I love how it covers up the blade overhang and even covers the edges of the cutting edge of the blade so that it's really hard to accidentally cut your fingers.

I tend to be a bit sloppy with things and so having that assurance that really unless I'm being exceptionally careless I am not going to cut myself is nice!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I love how it covers up the blade overhang and even covers the edges of the cutting edge of the blade so that it's really hard to accidentally cut your fingers.

I particularly like how it aligns the blade with the base AND cap, so you absolutely know for sure, that everything is right where it needs to be.

It's even milder than my usual razor (Edwin Jagger), but can still give me a superb shave.

Something is not right here . That razor is made of Delrin. It is a very strong polymer. Used for bearings! My plastic Wilkinson has been used for much much more than 6 months and no problems. It used to bе manufactured by Treet for Wilkinson. I think it is already discontinued. Now the new Weishi manufactured one is the Classic model.

Something is not right here . That razor is made of Delrin. It is a very strong polymer. Used for bearings! My plastic Wilkinson has been used for much much more than 6 months and no problems. It used to bе manufactured by Treet for Wilkinson. I think it is already discontinued. Now the new Weishi manufactured one is the Classic model.

Oh you think the newer ones are made of cheaper plastic?

That might explain why years back I never had this problem (that I remember). I've been using this razor model for... something like 12 years total.

I previously thought maybe it's because my life was more chaotic then so I was losing razors so fast I never noticed this problem, lol

No new plastic ones. It is a metal Wilkinson Sword TTO.Manufactured by WEISHI (model 9306-P), all brass.

Do you mean they don't make the plastic WS razors anymore? Or?

I did notice that this one I just bought was harder than normal to find.

I do have one of those TTO ones too actually, but I also have a Parker 99R and I think I prefer that.

Do you mean they don't make the plastic WS razors anymore? Or?

I did notice that this one I just bought was harder than normal to find.

I do have one of those TTO ones too actually, but I also have a Parker 99R and I think I prefer that.
Yes. As I said the Delrin razor is discontinued. What you see in stores is old stock. Look at the Wilkinson Sword UK site. There is only one DE razor (the metal TTO), and now it is called Classic as the previous plastic one. Wilkinson just had to answer to Gillette's metal DE. Having a plastic razor against the metal King C. Gillette is definitely not looking good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I did wonder if the metal one would render the plastic one obsolete. I might grab a spare at some point.

You can pretty much guarantee that if I do, I'll never need it, and if I don't, this one will break the moment the last remaining stocks get sold :lol:

Yes. As I said the Delrin razor is discontinued. What you see in stores is old stock. Look at the Wilkinson Sword UK site. There is only one DE razor (the metal TTO), and now it is called Classic as the previous plastic one. Wilkinson just had to answer to Gillette's metal DE. Having a plastic razor against the metal King C. Gillette is definitely not looking good.

Surely though these razors have pros and cons. I own a Parker 99R, the metal WS, a Rockwell 2C, the plastic WS and maybe others I'm forgetting. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I did wonder if the metal one would render the plastic one obsolete. I might grab a spare at some point.

You can pretty much guarantee that if I do, I'll never need it, and if I don't, this one will break the moment the last remaining stocks get sold :lol:

Do you mean obsolete relative to the WS range? As of course metal safety razors came before plastic ones!

Surely though these razors have pros and cons. I own a Parker 99R, the metal WS, a Rockwell 2C, the plastic WS and maybe others I'm forgetting. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

But those pros and cons are subjective 98% of the time. What is an advantage for you might be a disadvantage for me. And vice versa. And with razors and blades that is true more often than not.

But those pros and cons are subjective 98% of the time. What is an advantage for you might be a disadvantage for me. And vice versa. And with razors and blades that is true more often than not.

True. The main thing I'm thinking of with this one is the safety features it has. Also the low price is nice, of course. It's a great starter safety razor, I think.

No razor is perfect, but I just thought this one had some good things going for it! :)

True. The main thing I'm thinking of with this one is the safety features it has. Also the low price is nice, of course. It's a great starter safety razor, I think.

No razor is perfect, but I just thought this one had some good things going for it! :)
And for me it is just a parody of a razor. Don't get me wrong, I like plastic razors. I have been trying for years to get a BBS with it. With my tough black whiskers it is impossible. Bought the first one more than 15 years ago. Used it for a few months. Then every year I would get it from the drawer and try it with a blade or two I haven't tried it with. The shaving angle is weird. You have to use very shallow angle. It is made to be even milder than the mildest Tech, so, sorry but this isn't a proper razor. Maybe good for men who just start shaving, but not for me.
Yes, you are right about the so called "safety features", but they implemented them to an absurd degree, so that with heavy beards it is terribly ineffective.

And for me it is just a parody of a razor. Don't get me wrong, I like plastic razors. I have been trying for years to get a BBS with it. With my tough black whiskers it is impossible. Bought the first one more than 15 years ago. Used it for a few months. Then every year I would get it from the drawer and try it with a blade or two I haven't tried it with. The shaving angle is weird. You have to use very shallow angle. It is made to be even milder than the mildest Tech, so, sorry but this isn't a proper razor. Maybe good for men who just start shaving, but not for me.
Yes, you are right about the so called "safety features", but they implemented them to an absurd degree, so that with heavy beards it is terribly ineffective.

Oh do you think they negatively impact the effectiveness of the razor?

But... surely there is no reason they would?

I feel like the mildness was just a design decision that they made. I mean, my perception is that... it's way, way more aggressive than a cartridge, electric or disposable razor. So it depends what you're comparing it to.

Top Bottom