What's new

Does anyone know if Derby has corrected the issue with their DE blades?

I purchased most of my Derby blades several years ago. In my experience they are not the greatest blade out there, but they are far from being the worst. I'm not sure why people complain about them so much.

One of the main distributors of Derby blades was a member here, but haven't heard from him in a long time. Derbys were really good blades @ one time-recommended on a regular basis. But something did happen-whether counterfeits or poor quality control, no one knows for sure or is telling. I'm happy I have a supply from when they were good-it didn't matter which razor you used, Derbys just worked.

marty

+1

Used a "vertical" Derby in my R41 a few weeks ago and it was suck city.....now using Bluebirds (no walk in the sun) for close, but not comfortable shaves. Sad thing is I must have 180 verticals in stock!

I bought 100 about six months ago and haven't had any problems. I get four excellent shaves per blade and all of the blood stays on the inside.

Last edited:
In my opinion that was all a rumor started on here and now the rumor is ledgend. The placebo effect in motion.."Gee, now that you mentioned it I did feel something".

Does anyone truly believe that they would take the time to change the blades and the card at the same time. For whatever reason they changed the card which has lead to this. I was at the Derby distributor a few weeks back, his business has been hurt by this and denies any change to the product made in Turkey.

In my opinion that was all a rumor started on here and now the rumor is ledgend. The placebo effect in motion.."Gee, now that you mentioned it I did feel something".

Does anyone truly believe that they would take the time to change the blades and the card at the same time. For whatever reason they changed the card which has lead to this. I was at the Derby distributor a few weeks back, his business has been hurt by this and denies any change to the product made in Turkey.

That is really sad. And it's such insanity. Like the Proraso vs. Bigelow insanity. Or the "Best razor-blade combo" insanity. Or the "best cream insanity." Or the "Superlather or Uberlather" insanity.

99% of wet shaving is subjective, not objective. And yet people act like wet shaving is objective. They argue over stupid things that really can't be proven. There are obvious things, like a Feather is sharper than a Derby. But arguing whether Trumper is slicker than Truefitt? That's insanity. Or whether Tabac is better than MWF?

And don't get me started on the magical powers of tallow.....

Last edited:
Ive had good shave with both the "vertical" and "horizontal" blades and was unable to ascertain any difference at all. When I first started lurking at B&B, Derby was probably the blade most commonly recommended for new wet shavers. I don't know if it some kind of placebo effect or not, but there have been far more negative comments than I used to see. I'm sure that the other blades didn't improve so much that they are now that much better than Derbys. I can't imagine that the faces of newer members are that different from those that have been coming around for at least three or for years. Either the Derby blades aren't the same or they have been talked down so much that people try them with a preconceived notion that they are inferior blades. I would love to see a blinded trial with older and newer Derby blades.

Mike

Thanks for bringing some sanity to the discussion, Joe. Truly amazing how a rumor can ruin a business.

Ive had good shave with both the "vertical" and "horizontal" blades and was unable to ascertain any difference at all. When I first started lurking at B&B, Derby was probably the blade most commonly recommended for new wet shavers. I don't know if it some kind of placebo effect or not, but there have been far more negative comments than I used to see. I'm sure that the other blades didn't improve so much that they are now that much better than Derbys. I can't imagine that the faces of newer members are that different from those that have been coming around for at least three or for years. Either the Derby blades aren't the same or they have been talked down so much that people try them with a preconceived notion that they are inferior blades. I would love to see a blinded trial with older and newer Derby blades.

Mike

Mike - Pardon my ignorance but what does vertical versus horizontal mean in regards to Derby Extra blades?

Gene

Mike - Pardon my ignorance but what does vertical versus horizontal mean in regards to Derby Extra blades?

Gene

The writing on the printed paper card that is found in each plastic blade dispenser used to be horizontal, and then they changed it to vertical (or the other way around).

Suddenly people were talking about how the changed the blade. It was really silly. If they changed the blade, you bet it cost them thousands to do it, and they would have put something on their box or website, like "Now, 25% sharper!"

Nothing changed. It's the same blade. Love it or hate it, it's still the same Derby that sells for 10 cents a piece or less.

Last edited:
Derby is my preferred blade, I have tried many different blades from Feather and the various gillette 7 o'clocks. Derby isn't the smoothest or the sharpest out there, but it agrees with my face the most. That is ALL that matters. For the record my other "choice" blades are Shark and Gillette Platinums.

A derby in my EJ 89 will give me a DFS with no problems and a very comfy BBS if I do my part. Thats all I can ask of it.

So I feel that someone should jump in on this thread and try to bring civility to the conversation (or hopefully end it). Please remember gentlemen that blades simply cannot be defined as "wonderful" or as "junk." All blades have different degrees of sharpness, and different attributes that respond differently from person to person depending upon skin and hair type. A "terrible" blade for one could be heavenly for the next. That is why experimentation is the only way to find your blade. I would recommend that users here try and avoid the temptation to label blades as it only creates confusion for folks that are still trying to find the right blade for them. There is no such thing as the best blade and blades cannot be recommended to others. If you are interested in more information about why and how blades respond differently for different folks I would recommend this article. Enjoy your shaves gentlemen.

So I feel that someone should jump in on this thread and try to bring civility to the conversation (or hopefully end it). Please remember gentlemen that blades simply cannot be defined as "wonderful" or as "junk." All blades have different degrees of sharpness, and different attributes that respond differently from person to person depending upon skin and hair type. A "terrible" blade for one could be heavenly for the next. That is why experimentation is the only way to find your blade. I would recommend that users here try and avoid the temptation to label blades as it only creates confusion for folks that are still trying to find the right blade for them. There is no such thing as the best blade and blades cannot be recommended to others. If you are interested in more information about why and how blades respond differently for different folks I would recommend this article. Enjoy your shaves gentlemen.

I have no idea how a newbie got so smart. You are absolutely right.

So, after reading the posts, it looks like the Deby blade problem was not a problem at all. It appears that many feel the Derby blade issue was all a rumor started by people who wanted to drive the price of Derby blades down or try to put a distributor out of business. Another conspiracy theory....like the "grassy Knoll" and there was no such thing as the "Hollocaust" and "Area 51" really does not exist.

I'm sorry I ever brought up the topic for clarification. Those who know....know....those you don't know....will never know. This topic seems to "rub" some people the wrong way and are very sensitive to a open and truthful discussion. Everyone has a right to be right..... and some people.... they also have a right to be knowingly and purposely wrong.

On that note....I may buy one pack of 5 Derby blades to see for myself if the jagged, ragged edge of the blade problem has been corrected.

So, after reading the posts, it looks like the Deby blade problem was not a problem at all. It appears that many feel the Derby blade issue was all a rumor started by people who wanted to drive the price of Derby blades down or try to put a distributor out of business. Another conspiracy theory....like the "grassy Knoll" and there was no such thing as the "Hollocaust" and "Area 51" really does not exist.

Not a conspiracy, just typical B&B insanity. lol

I'm glad you brought it up. Hopefully people who got caught up in the vertical/horizontal insanity will give Derby a try.

Top Bottom