What's new

Does anyone know if Derby has corrected the issue with their DE blades?

A couple of years ago I had some Derby extra blades that were pretty bad. I got these blades as part of a sample pack and nine out of the 10 blades were all duds and caused nicks, cuts and razor burn.

I could not understand how a blades like Derby, with rave reviews, could tear up my face the way they did at that time. Some said it was the "Vertical" packaged blades that were the duds.

Anyway, does anyone know if Derby corrected this problem or if there are still some of these blades out on the market?

I just finished shaving with a couple of Derby Blades, that came with a Muhle razor, all I can say they shaved very nice and close with comfort in a Gillette Aristocrat razor.

So how are Derby blades today......is it safe to go back into the water with Derby?

I would have to say the ones I tried 6 months ago were among the worst blades I have ever used. But if you liked the ones that came with your razor I would say throw in a pack on your next order from one of the good vendors here.

I liked my Derbys up until a month or so ago but since I have switched to Wilkinson a la Wal Mart and the Indian Wilkinson/Gillettes my Derbys feel much more rough than I care for.

I use them with no ill effects.
I just got a new pack from AMAZON. I don't know if they have a manufacture date on them. I can check.
If you send me your address, I'll send you a 5er...
Tom

Just me thinking out loud, but if the blades were that bad, I don't think I would have used them after about the second or third one - I would have just tossed them.

That aside, I ended up with some Derby blades last fall as part of a sampler pack, and I wasn't impressed with them at all - my shaves were satisfactorily close, but they weren't really comfortable at all.

Never had an issue with Derby's. They don't work too well in my EJ89 but do a fine job in my slim. Picked up 100 for $8 so I didn't really have much to lose and I was pleasantly surprised.

A couple of years ago I had some Derby extra blades that were pretty bad. I got these blades as part of a sample pack and nine out of the 10 blades were all duds and caused nicks, cuts and razor burn.

I'm impressed that you stuck with them long enough to know 9 of 10 were duds. I would have tossed the lot on the second dud.

Well, there must have been an "LOAD" of bad boxes a couple three years ago that had members mighty surprised and upset with the blades. BTW....I've been shaving for over 40 years and my technique was very good when I came back to DE shaving. The two sampler packs that I received three years ago were a PIF from a DE razor purchase.....and I surely did not use each blade.....back to back....it was over the course of a couple of months. When the tugging, nicking and cutting started....out went the blade and in went a Feather, Wilkinson Sword English or RIP blade.

Don't get upset!!! I'm just asking if Derby had corrected a problem that many people had experienced with their blades. I just asked a simple question about the current Derby blades and most importantly....if all the duds had been taken out of circulation by shavers, like myself or Derby quietly took back the blades on the market.

Who knows....there may have been a counterfeit load of Derby blades on the market at that time?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Issue? What issue? Good blades, good value.

I've got the blades in both packages, exactly the same. When all the fuss was hitting the fan, I bought 100 of the vertical pack blades just to see what the folks were complaining about.

Much ado about nothing.

I got a pack of 5 Derby blades to try out in December. I used 3. Two of them were very good, giving me one of the best shaves ever, but the last one I used was horrible. I don't think I'm going to stick with them when Sharks are cheaper and more consistent.

I've tried both the vertical and horizontal Derby blades and had excellent shaves with each. That said, I rotate through a handful of different blades that I've purchased in bulk. The Derbys I have we're purchased in a block of 100 a couple years ago so if bad blades popped up since then, I wouldn't be in a position to have notices. In the past week, I've used a Derby several times in both a pre-war Tech and a #15 and had a smooth shave and the blades were sharp enough that I had no tugging. If I were guaranteed to get blades of similar quality, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more. For comparison, the other blades I favor besides Derbys are Iridium, Med Preps and Astra SP, although there are a handful of others I'll throw in to keep things interesting.

Mike

Maybe Derby is simply not the blade for you. I have tried horizontal, vertical and packs with Turkish on the box and they all didn't work for me (I am trying to stay political correct here...).

One of the strongest contenders for a #1 in my list of worst blades ever.

They don't suck but there are better blades IMO. It's interesting that they are often included with an EJ razor but it's in the EJ that their performance is worst for me.

I didnt notice anything changing either but the orientation of the brand marque. Thanks to everybody saying the blades suck though, cuz it made the prices go down.

Issue? What issue? Good blades, good value.

I've got the blades in both packages, exactly the same. When all the fuss was hitting the fan, I bought 100 of the vertical pack blades just to see what the folks were complaining about.

Much ado about nothing.

One of the main distributors of Derby blades was a member here, but haven't heard from him in a long time. Derbys were really good blades @ one time-recommended on a regular basis. But something did happen-whether counterfeits or poor quality control, no one knows for sure or is telling. I'm happy I have a supply from when they were good-it didn't matter which razor you used, Derbys just worked.

marty

Top Bottom