What's new

Does anyone know how to remove the cap from The Art of Shaving aftershave balm bottle?

The Art of Shaving aftershave balm comes in a nice glass bottle with a pump spray. Since this is not the cheapest stuff on the planet I would like to be able to use all of the product in the bottle but that would mean removing the top. However, the top does not seem to want to come off without breaking the glass - does anyone know how to open these bottles without breaking the glass around the cap?

Try this first?
Jack.gif

i may have older or different version of the bottle. I cant get the black plastic collar to turn. was yours easy to get to turn?

whoa, thats a very tight piece. i was able to move it up a couple of mms by hand. not much more without trying tools.

edit: got it off with some vise grips. just a pressed metal flange.

proxy.php

Last edited:
i may have older or different version of the bottle. I cant get the black plastic collar to turn. was yours easy to get to turn?
With pliers I can get a solid hold and turn it freely.

I like your picture, it lets me know what to expect. Thanks!

there are plastic lines that stick in the metal. my pic doesnt show the bite marks well, but the metal is actually turning. pull up on the black collar

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That looks like a metal top thats crimped over a rim in the glass.

Something like this might do it. An automotive pick. Some have finely ground points and they're pretty strong.

TN60000.jpg

I keep a small one in my toolbox for little jobs like that.

That looks like a metal top thats crimped over a rim in the glass.

Something like this might do it. An automotive pick. Some have finely ground points and they're pretty strong.

View attachment 954211

I keep a small one in my toolbox for little jobs like that.
AOS really doesn’t want a person to get the last little bit out do they? Lol!

there are plastic lines that stick in the metal. my pic doesnt show the bite marks well, but the metal is actually turning. pull up on the black collar
When I get home I’ll give that a try and let you know how is goes.

Other options:
Dremel with a cut off disc
corner edge of a file and cut through the metal band
nipping it apart with side cutters should work as well.

The Art of Shaving aftershave balm comes in a nice glass bottle with a pump spray. Since this is not the cheapest stuff on the planet I would like to be able to use all of the product in the bottle but that would mean removing the top. However, the top does not seem to want to come off without breaking the glass - does anyone know how to open these bottles without breaking the glass around the cap?

Which flavor??

Sir Ike, with all due respect, the AOS balm is not so terribly expensive.
$10-15 at many outlets, about same as Proraso.
Not at all same zip code as Pens or Cadtle Forbes.
So, just replace your empty! Enjoy!

View attachment 954323
Hmm? Apparently I need to shop around for it because I have never seen it for less than $40 with the exception of a sale here and there. I am leary when I see it for 1/2 price; I’m wondering if it might be watered down. I’m just paranoid I guess.

$40 will get you a whole set at a discount store. Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington. I can only find unscented when I look though. They don't have it often though.

Top Bottom