What's new

Does anyone get this with alum?

Gents

I'm a big fan of an alum bloc post shave. I apply it to wet skin following a cold rinse and leave it to do its thing whilst I wash up.

Once I'm done - i rinse it off and pat my face dry ready for my post shave balm / moisturiser depending on climatic conditions!

However, I am finding that the alum does such a good job of tightening my skin / closing pores that my moisturiser does not absorb - rather it seems to sit on my skin all day long leaving a shiny film.

Not ideal! Anyone else experience this? I'd skip the balm step if I could but then I am left with dry skin!

All the best

Niko

I use it everyday, but if I don't wait after applying and then wash it off it makes my face feel like a rubber band. It also leaves a white film, but a quick splash of water fixes both problems and I haven't noticed any aftershave/moisturiser blocking effects.

I have a good cold rinse after alum. Without it my face would probably be on fire.

I had my 1st nick free shave today too!!

After I apply my alum block, I empty my scuttle, rinse out my razor and brush and then use a towel to dry up the the area around the sink. When I'm done, I splash cold water on my face to rinse off the alum. I then apply my balm - I have had no issues with the balm not being absorbed by my skin.

After I apply my alum block, I empty my scuttle, rinse out my razor and brush and then use a towel to dry up the the area around the sink. When I'm done, I splash cold water on my face to rinse off the alum. I then apply my balm - I have had no issues with the balm not being absorbed by my skin.

+1 I do the exact same works great for me every time.

This is my routine as well. Never had any issues, unless it happens to put too much balm. Too much balm = film.

Do you have the problem with all balms/moisturizers? Shine issue sounds like you maybe using something that doesn't match your skin type so a change in product could solve your problem.

If you're already experimented with different producs, the cold water rinse after the alum as others have suggested should work.

Top Bottom