What's new

Does anyone else fall for these long and descriptive scent descriptions?

It is always hard to know what a soap smells like based off of a description, especially the complex scents that are out there. A lot of soaps have a scent description that is more like a short story about a place. They paint this magical picture in my head of an amazing scene. It just sounds so incredible I convince myself I need it. When the soap arrives I smell it and it is always a slight disappointment that it is just a fragranced soap. I don't know what I expect but a lot of times I get so caught up in the descriptions.

Does anyone else fall for these? Have any good examples?

I tend to agree although, other than VDH and Cade, I haven't been terribly disappointed. Both of those literally make me gag.

My my latest venture was with CRSW and their scent "Puro Fresco". It's almost impossible to discern what it smells like based on the description. It arrived yesterday and let me tell you, that short story was an understatement about the scent. It far exceeded my expectations because, like you, I've mostly been like 'meh' regarding scents. Since it's hard to get samples of many of these soaps, it's a gamble we must take to venture out. I always like reading the description from others about what something smells like.

It is always hard to know what a soap smells like based off of a description, especially the complex scents that are out there. A lot of soaps have a scent description that is more like a short story about a place. They paint this magical picture in my head of an amazing scene. It just sounds so incredible I convince myself I need it. When the soap arrives I smell it and it is always a slight disappointment that it is just a fragranced soap. I don't know what I expect but a lot of times I get so caught up in the descriptions.

+1 I agree fully.

Some sites have these long description that sound like they are trying to sell you "who know what dream".
They turn me off the manufacturer, and I wish they would stop.

There are a couple of artisans whose products I cannot get a good description of, and consequently have avoided buying their product,

With so many choices why take a chance on them.

I totally agree that the descriptions are often a silly narrative tales. That said, I often find that I have no idea what a soap will smell like based on the description, then once I smell the soap, the description suddenly makes perfect sense

Never try to impress a woman, because if you do she'll expect you to keep up the standard for the rest of your life.
― W.C. Fields

I'd much rather read a long description of a scent, complete with individual notes (whether I can smell them or not), than have someone describe a scent as "clean and fresh." So many "reviewers," especially those on YouTube, say, "Clean and fresh." That says nothing to me. Clean and fresh are not scents. I believe people say that when they have nothing else to say.

So, describe on, the longer the better to me!!!

:thumbup1:

proxy.php

Nope!!!

I think there's two distinct versions. There are descriptions that paint a picture of inspiration the artisan had when they developed the scent and there are descriptions that read like something out of a J. Peterman catalog. They try to paint a picture for you and the experience you should have when you smell the soap.

The former I always enjoy reading. I've been blending my own scents and understanding where someone was coming from or what they've experienced in their life that led them to shape an accord the way they did is something I find enjoyable and unique -- even more so if I can identify with it or feel the same way.

The latter bothers me. You're telling me this scent should conjure up images of wild horses running across the open dunes of a small island in Nantucket, but all I smell is a wet dog with a mouth full of dirty socks.

Unless you're referring to both as unfavorable. And if so, how do you prefer your scent descriptions to read?

I think there's two distinct versions. There are descriptions that paint a picture of inspiration the artisan had when they developed the scent and there are descriptions that read like something out of a J. Peterman catalog. They try to paint a picture for you and the experience you should have when you smell the soap.

The former I always enjoy reading. I've been blending my own scents and understanding where someone was coming from or what they've experienced in their life that led them to shape an accord the way they did is something I find enjoyable and unique -- even more so if I can identify with it or feel the same way.

The latter bothers me. You're telling me this scent should conjure up images of wild horses running across the open dunes of a small island in Nantucket, but all I smell is a wet dog with a mouth full of dirty socks.

Unless you're referring to both as unfavorable. And if so, how do you prefer your scent descriptions to read?

I mean exactly how you describe the second version. When its described as "a crisp spring day, a light breeze. Over the hill there are 3 stallions running towards you. At first you are shocked, and then they run by. You are relieved, relaxed and you smile. Thats what our soap smells like."

Well great. I read a short story about a soap and when I get it is smells like horse crap and fleas. Or maybe even it smells good but it doesn't cause some out of body experience that changes my outlook on life like the description said it would.

I prefer a soap to read as...
Top Notes, Middle Notes, Base Notes so you know the breakdown of the scent. Then a breif description of the scent in regular words. There are times when after a soap is described I can't even tell if it is a soapy crisp scent or a deep earthy scent. That is confusing.

I'd much rather read a long description of a scent, complete with individual notes (whether I can smell them or not), than have someone describe a scent as "clean and fresh." So many "reviewers," especially those on YouTube, say, "Clean and fresh." That says nothing to me. Clean and fresh are not scents. I believe people say that when they have nothing else to say.

So, describe on, the longer the better to me!!!

:thumbup1:

+1. I like to read the notes and the narrative. I find that the narrative usually gives me a better idea of what to expect.

Guilty. :blushing:

I have definitely ordered soaps where the scent . . . wasn't what I expected, or wanted. At other times, it has worked out well.

If you're put off by the verbosity of soap descriptions, just listen to the coffee zealots describe their favorite brews. I'd rather brush Ivory soap into a lather and enjoy a cup of instant coffee than put up with all that pretentious nonsense.

If you're put off by the verbosity of soap descriptions, just listen to the coffee zealots describe their favorite brews. I'd rather brush Ivory soap into a lather and enjoy a cup of instant coffee than put up with all that pretentious nonsense.

Very true and wine is similar.

My wife is a writer, mostly books and articles but some copy. One time she had a contract to write the product descriptions for a major candle company (you'd recognize the brand)...they just sent her a list of all their scented candles, and she wrote descriptions based entirely on the list. She never got anywhere near the products, never smelled them...the firm loved her copy. In the catalog.

I learned not to let "their" description influence me. I mostly go by impressions of those that have used the soaps.
Vic

Between the seinfeld reference and the bolded underlined, this is one of the greatest posts I've read all year.

You mean a description like this? This scent is redolent of a fine spring afternoon. You are seated at the open air cafe when you spot an old childhood friend. He is holding a martini and munching on some French bread. A slight breeze shimmers a nearby field of dandelions that have been recently rained on. :laugh:

You mean a description like this? This scent is redolent of a fine spring afternoon. You are seated at the open air cafe when you spot an old childhood friend. He is holding a martini and munching on some French bread. A slight breeze shimmers a nearby field of dandelions that have been recently rained on. :laugh:

Wonderful description. And honestly, I'd probably skim over it until I got to the actual list of notes in the scent. No list? Well, I'm probably going to be moving on unless I can find info that makes sense of it elsewhere. For me, it's not really any different than buying a fine fragrance. I just want to know how the scent is comprised. I will be judging the product on what I smell, not some imaginary story that sells it.

Top Bottom