What's new

Does anyone else do this?

You can't microwave a tallow based soap like Arko - will destroy the product. You need to use as-is, as ClemsonTigerz has done, grate it (see link to my earlier post on this above or melt in a double boiler (not sure I've seen anyone do this). Some have dissolved their soaps in water and then blended.
The double boiler method does melt glycerin soaps, but takes some time. Shredded standard shaving soaps don't melt, but usually become softer when mixed with a small amount of water. They don't seem to be damaged because the heat is fairly even and gentle.

So: each new year I make my mug that lasts all year. I have a big Java mug that I use. This year it’s 4 sticks of Arko arranged in a log cabin- and 4 layered melted glycerine pucks. You can use all the same type or layer it.

This is 4 sticks of Arko- which plays swimmingly with glycerine and makes a hell of a lather, the type you’d get if you added a cream to the mix. The lather is superior and all it is is cheapo Arko and cheapo grocery store glycerin or colonel conk- or whatever you like.

By spring, I should have worked through the bay rum layer- and begin seeing the lime layer- while will give me a bay rum and lime mix for a while- which will later yield a lime and VDH luxury mix by summer, then a VDH luxury / colonel conk almond mix by fall- etc.

I let each layer cool- and it lasts all year. Awesome way to Chuck in 7 or 8 soaps at once- and it’s like a candy that changes flavor as you go. Or you can pick a favorite and go with that. It’s what I do. Back in the day I’d use 2 pucks of Williams *sniff* and stack them in the mug & melt VDH 4 pucks- and pour it in. Sometimes I’d have to add a puck of glycerine as I went to even it out-

So- does anyone else do this? This may anger the clergy among the purists- I’d never do this with tabac, lol- but yeah- it’s my year-long mug. I photographed after the bottom two sticks were submerged because I thought- ah hell, this could be a fun one on B&B & give me an excuse to post. Anyhow- happy new year!!!
Fascinating. My wanderlust in shaving would prevent my enjoyment as I like a different scent every day. But if I could be true to a soap, this would appeal to the scientist in me.

The double boiler method does melt glycerin soaps, but takes some time. Shredded standard shaving soaps don't melt, but usually become softer when mixed with a small amount of water. They don't seem to be damaged because the heat is fairly even and gentle.
Agreed with a little water. Recall a post from a fellow B&Ber where they added a lot of water and in effect liquified their soap for blending. Than had to give it a lot of time to dry. Not my preferred technique given all the effort involved. Just mixing the grated tallow based soaps and then blending in the melt & pour (Van Der Hagen Deluxe in my case) that acts as a binder works well.

Never thought about doing this, but I have some old shave sticks laying around that I might try blending just to give them some use. Thanks for sharing.

Fellow Clemson man here......GO TIGERS!!

So: each new year I make my mug that lasts all year. I have a big Java mug that I use. This year it’s 4 sticks of Arko arranged in a log cabin- and 4 layered melted glycerine pucks. You can use all the same type or layer it.

This is 4 sticks of Arko- which plays swimmingly with glycerine and makes a hell of a lather, the type you’d get if you added a cream to the mix. The lather is superior and all it is is cheapo Arko and cheapo grocery store glycerin or colonel conk- or whatever you like.

By spring, I should have worked through the bay rum layer- and begin seeing the lime layer- while will give me a bay rum and lime mix for a while- which will later yield a lime and VDH luxury mix by summer, then a VDH luxury / colonel conk almond mix by fall- etc.

I let each layer cool- and it lasts all year. Awesome way to Chuck in 7 or 8 soaps at once- and it’s like a candy that changes flavor as you go. Or you can pick a favorite and go with that. It’s what I do. Back in the day I’d use 2 pucks of Williams *sniff* and stack them in the mug & melt VDH 4 pucks- and pour it in. Sometimes I’d have to add a puck of glycerine as I went to even it out-

So- does anyone else do this? This may anger the clergy among the purists- I’d never do this with tabac, lol- but yeah- it’s my year-long mug. I photographed after the bottom two sticks were submerged because I thought- ah hell, this could be a fun one on B&B & give me an excuse to post. Anyhow- happy new year!!!
I can make a breakfast taco out of leftover anything, but must admit this is second level. May try this! Very Pinteresting….

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I used to shreds and mix ARKO and Williams but ARKO solo now. BTW hello from Walhalla.

I like the mixture because it lathers as easily as Haslinger but has the wonderful post-shave properties of both soaps. MWF has many posts on B & B about how difficult it is to make a decent lather. But with this 50/50 mixture, lathering becomes a breeze! I learned about this from another post a number of years ago on B & B. I use a cheese grater & grate both pucks into a container. I then take a spoon & mix the contents to somewhat blend them together.

The pic of the tomato soup with the string cheese looks delicious!

Kidding aside, enjoy your shaves with this soap mix!

I put one in Captain’s Choice bowl and microwaved for 30 seconds. After 15 minutes I microwaved for another 30 seconds. I like the glycerine soap. Just make sure it is shave specific soap, I would have much preferred Colonel Conk.

I would get creative, use a vegetable knife and make the Arko into star shaped pieces. Make one Arko for triangles and one for star shaped logs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Top Bottom