What's new

Does anyone else do this?

So: each new year I make my mug that lasts all year. I have a big Java mug that I use. This year it’s 4 sticks of Arko arranged in a log cabin- and 4 layered melted glycerine pucks. You can use all the same type or layer it.

This is 4 sticks of Arko- which plays swimmingly with glycerine and makes a hell of a lather, the type you’d get if you added a cream to the mix. The lather is superior and all it is is cheapo Arko and cheapo grocery store glycerin or colonel conk- or whatever you like.

By spring, I should have worked through the bay rum layer- and begin seeing the lime layer- while will give me a bay rum and lime mix for a while- which will later yield a lime and VDH luxury mix by summer, then a VDH luxury / colonel conk almond mix by fall- etc.

I let each layer cool- and it lasts all year. Awesome way to Chuck in 7 or 8 soaps at once- and it’s like a candy that changes flavor as you go. Or you can pick a favorite and go with that. It’s what I do. Back in the day I’d use 2 pucks of Williams *sniff* and stack them in the mug & melt VDH 4 pucks- and pour it in. Sometimes I’d have to add a puck of glycerine as I went to even it out-

So- does anyone else do this? This may anger the clergy among the purists- I’d never do this with tabac, lol- but yeah- it’s my year-long mug. I photographed after the bottom two sticks were submerged because I thought- ah hell, this could be a fun one on B&B & give me an excuse to post. Anyhow- happy new year!!!

Attachments

• 6D1FA446-52F1-4CC5-B6E0-BF009C704459.jpeg
    6D1FA446-52F1-4CC5-B6E0-BF009C704459.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 44
  • B57D3EB5-1667-4CB4-B8ED-735D63A278DF.jpeg
    B57D3EB5-1667-4CB4-B8ED-735D63A278DF.jpeg
    717.1 KB · Views: 44
  • B2CF1FC6-20BA-492A-A5E0-5427E5F6E460.jpeg
    B2CF1FC6-20BA-492A-A5E0-5427E5F6E460.jpeg
    778.7 KB · Views: 42
  • CD3E7C24-1556-41B6-AAD6-58CCD2E607E8.jpeg
    CD3E7C24-1556-41B6-AAD6-58CCD2E607E8.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 48
I was having trouble visualizing a log cabin configuration, then saw your photos!

I've done something like that to use up some odds and ends of soap. It was not an entire year's worth, though! I sliced up a Speick stick into coins and floated it in some other soaps, like Haslinger. It was somewhat like a banana pudding!

😁

I was having trouble visualizing a log cabin configuration, then saw your photos!

I've done something like that to use up some odds and ends of soap. It was not an entire year's worth, though! I sliced up a Speick stick into coins and floated it in some other soaps, like Haslinger. It was somewhat like a banana pudding!

😁
Yeah- it’s quite something- the quality of the lather is phenomenal- considering I’d get the same type of lather from creams or croaps- and spend more throughout the year for it. I think we’re on to something 🤔😉

So: each new year I make my mug that lasts all year. I have a big Java mug that I use. This year it’s 4 sticks of Arko arranged in a log cabin- and 4 layered melted glycerine pucks. You can use all the same type or layer it.

This is 4 sticks of Arko- which plays swimmingly with glycerine and makes a hell of a lather, the type you’d get if you added a cream to the mix. The lather is superior and all it is is cheapo Arko and cheapo grocery store glycerin or colonel conk- or whatever you like.

By spring, I should have worked through the bay rum layer- and begin seeing the lime layer- while will give me a bay rum and lime mix for a while- which will later yield a lime and VDH luxury mix by summer, then a VDH luxury / colonel conk almond mix by fall- etc.

I let each layer cool- and it lasts all year. Awesome way to Chuck in 7 or 8 soaps at once- and it’s like a candy that changes flavor as you go. Or you can pick a favorite and go with that. It’s what I do. Back in the day I’d use 2 pucks of Williams *sniff* and stack them in the mug & melt VDH 4 pucks- and pour it in. Sometimes I’d have to add a puck of glycerine as I went to even it out-

So- does anyone else do this? This may anger the clergy among the purists- I’d never do this with tabac, lol- but yeah- it’s my year-long mug. I photographed after the bottom two sticks were submerged because I thought- ah hell, this could be a fun one on B&B & give me an excuse to post. Anyhow- happy new year!!!
Lots of us blend soaps. See my post via the link below regarding my latest blend. In my case I grate the tallow based soaps, mix together, add the melt (melt in microwave) and pour Van Der Hagen Deluxe, mix and knead together and form into pucks. Like you I started with Williams as my tallow base and used both Williams and Arko in my latest iteration. Add some Ivory for more slickness and some Dove and Proroaso croap to superlather a bit. Works amazingly well with core shaving performance as good as any shaving soap that I use. Details via the link.

You may find that grating the Arko and then adding you layers of glycerine soap provides a more consistent level of performance.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Does anyone know if the old Colonel Conk glycerine based soap is microwavable?

I love it! Do you microwave it all up to mix it?
You can't microwave a tallow based soap like Arko - will destroy the product. You need to use as-is, as ClemsonTigerz has done, grate it (see link to my earlier post on this above or melt in a double boiler (not sure I've seen anyone do this). Some have dissolved their soaps in water and then blended.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have had a Kilo of the German discontinued soap Klar Kabinett for years. It’s Rose scent is to die for. It had lots of great reviews for creamy good lather.

And while it’s lather isn’t bad, I never experienced the creamy goodness from all the reviews I read.

So in the warmer months, I have been grating it 50/50 with Arko just in the attempt to 3017’ it one day. Turns out, the Arko mix turns up the lather quality to a greatness level, but the Arko doesn’t mask or cover Klar Kabinett’s wonderful Rose scent!

The scent of Arko mixes with the rose to give it a fresh laundry scent with rose!
Love it! :)

You can't microwave a tallow based soap like Arko - will destroy the product. You need to use as-is, as ClemsonTigerz has done, grate it (see link to my earlier post on this above or melt in a double boiler (not sure I've seen anyone do this). Some have dissolved their soaps in water and then blended.
Yeah- I was lazy and didn’t smush the sticks or grate them-

Top Bottom