What's new

Does anyone 3007 a blade?

OK, I admit I'm trying to coin a phrase in the spirit of 3017'ing a soap.

3007 a blade: use a blade on consecutive shave days until you bin it. For me, that's 7 shaves. Hence the term 3007.

I think people do this a lot anyway -- moving a blade from razor to razor -- so u are not restricted to using the same razor until you bin the blade. I've been trying to 3007 my razors, too, however. Even for razors you have used before, I find that I need a shave or two to get re-acclimated to it for the best shaves. And using a blade from new to "bin time" helps you better re-evaluate the blade AND the razor.

Then I'm 3033'ing a Gillette Nacet in a Gillette Fatboy and it's not ready to bin yet.
33 shaves? Nice! I'm sure I can push past 7, but at the cost of the blades, I haven't bothered.
I've never tried a Nacet, but have a Fatboy. I have tucks of various blades, but when I buy a carton of 100, it is usually Astra SP.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One assumes you haven't read the Excalibur Club thread (OP, or all 195 pages). :devil:

Link: Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector
I did enjoy that... thx for making my night. <eg> ;)

I also use a blade until its history, but I only shave with one razor..... I did just add a polished version of it so I have one matte and one polished..... but regardless, I use one blade until it expires..... 6 shaves with an AC blade. I could never use a DE blade for 6 shaves. I'd be pushing it with 2.

One assumes you haven't read the Excalibur Club thread (OP, or all 195 pages). :devil:

Link: Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector
Your assumption is correct. 😀
I did get 52 shaves out of a vintage Schick Ultrex 2 cart a couple of years ago, and probably could have gotten more. I still have plenty of them left, but I'm trying to be strict and stay with DEs or SEs as much as I can.

I have about 4.5 years worth of DE blades. If I stick to just them, I will finish them by the end of 2026. But I also have about 2 years worth of Gems, and maybe 1.5 years worth of injectors.
Don't ask how many years of carts I have left -- they will outlive me unless I sell them.

Last edited:
I generally use a blade consecutively until I bin it.
Make sense. I know this is still a very small sample size, but I had gotten the impression that a lot of people rotate many used blades, keeping track with dice, etc. (Maybe many shavers still do.) At least that's what I have read about many times, and have heard on youtube.

Make sense. I know this is still a very small sample size, but I had gotten the impression that a lot of people rotate many used blades, keeping track with dice, etc. (Maybe many shavers still do.) At least that's what I have read about many times, and have heard on youtube.
I think some do keep track in that manner. I prefer just using one blade. Now I do have my trusty Krona that I only use when I need a quick shave. I keep a blade in the Krona (usually an Astra SP) that isn't switched into my other razors.

It's especially easy for me to use a single blade till I bin it when I'm using Feathers because I only get two shaves from a Feather.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I mainly use one closed comb razor for the majority of my shaves, but also have an open comb razor and half-blade shavette to hand for heavy growth, including nudging the beard or tache back into shape. I leave blades in each those razors, because I can't be bothered faffing around swapping blades between different razors. I'll change each of those blades when I need to, but not before.

I haven't assigned that practice a needless and confusing numerical code that nobody else would understand though. :tongue_sm But then, I don't use numerical codes for how I use my soap either. I'm weird like that. :lol1:

Nope and there has only been one 3017 thread that ever worked. It didn't become the 3017 by choice or to coin a phrase.

They've tried it in AS, creams and other products. It never works.

I use the same blade and razor until it's (the blade) worn out. Only change razors when I'm ready for a new blade. Have two razors that I regularly use, a Weishi long handle and a King C. Gillette.

A tallow based triple milled soap may actually last 3017 times of usage. That’s why the name. A blade can never go that long!

I try to get 6-7 shaves per blade. I figure (and probably wrong) the average gentleman replaced his blade once per week, and thus the manufacturers tried their best to accommodate him. Regardless, I can't toss a blade after one use since I usually get better performance on the second, and subsequent shaves.

And since I only shave every-other day, I use a die to keep track, otherwise I'll forget the count. I could always just keep using the blade until it told me it was done, but then my blade supply might last 50-100 years.

I have 6 DE razors in my rotation at home, each one ready to be used with a blade loaded. I throw the blade (and thoroughly clean the razor) when it feels blunt and no longer cuts properly. I find that's usually after the equivalent of 3 full shaves. I'll often use 2 razors for each shave, so that makes counting a little less precise. How do you assign a number to that? 632? 😀

I have 6 DE razors in my rotation at home, each one ready to be used with a blade loaded. I throw the blade (and thoroughly clean the razor) when it feels blunt and no longer cuts properly. I find that's usually after the equivalent of 3 full shaves. I'll often use 2 razors for each shave, so that makes counting a little less precise. How do you assign a number to that? 632? 😀
Lol.

Top Bottom