What's new

Does anybody use a Gillette Adjustable above 6 or 7?

Hi folks,

After getting moderately ravaged (one nick, and some moderate to serious razor burn on my neck) this morning using a Fat Boy (set on 3) and a new Treet Blue Special blade, and not getting a very good shave either, I was struck with a few questions.

1. I know the Treet Blue Special has both adherents and detractors, and I've gotten great shaves with the Fat Boy and other blades. I'm working my way through a huge variety of blades right now; am I doing myself a disservice by not sticking to one blade and/or one razor until I get my technique down stone cold? I do enjoy the variety, but...not today.

2. I haven't tried the Fat Boy above setting 5 (and that didn't do well either) with any blade; does anybody use it on the high end regularly?

3. The Treet Blue special didn't do a good job with a milder razor (1960 SS Flaretip) but did a better job with an A4 red-tip Super Speed. I figured I'd continue to test the blade against different razors, and got burned using the Fat Boy (with a new blade) on setting 3. Has anyone else had poor results with this combination? I'm going to give the blade one more try with my Merkur Slant, but not tomorrow morning. Ow.

Thanks for the input.

Jesse

I use my Adjustable at 7 but no higher. I tried a Derby, which is on the milder side, at 8. Using the same technique I always have, I tore my face up. It's just too aggressive for me.

I use my FB on 7 and my 195 prototype on on six and very much enjoy the shaves I get. I do enjoy a more aggressive shave and I use a Derby or a Feather in these.
Sorry I can't comment on the blades you have used as I have not.

I use my FB on 7 and my 195 prototype on on six and very much enjoy the shaves I get. I do enjoy a more aggressive shave and I use a Derby or a Feather in these.

This evidence points me towards improving my technique first, then jumping from razor to razor with the frequency of a cheap ham radio... :smile:

This evidence points me towards improving my technique first, then jumping from razor to razor with the frequency of a cheap ham radio... :smile:

I would say that you are on te right track. Jumping from razor to razor, while fun, is not always the best thing to do. I have found that diffrent razors require adjustments to angle and even in technique.

I find the Treet Platinums far better than the blues. They're so much smoother.

Probably also good advice. If people are using Fat Boys on 7 or 8 and I'm stuck on 3 or 4 then I'm clearly not ready for just any blade. Maybe it's time to return to the HD for a while.

Or the Slant. Or the red-tip. Or...oh dammit. :blush:

Jesse

i believe it the individual...I stick with 3-4 and the one time I did attempt a 7-8 was bloody as hell . I thought I would try to back and try again maybe at a different angle but it took nearly a week for the cuts- not weepers heal. I have a light beard and believe my face wasnt meant to be shaved with an aggressive razor.

Have a look at this thread. I have 2 Fatboy's and one was very aggressive and the other what I would call normal. I came to find out that my aggressive Fatboy was overclocked. Maybe yours has the same problem.

Have a look at this thread. I have 2 Fatboy's and one was very aggressive and the other what I would call normal. I came to find out that my aggressive Fatboy was overclocked. Maybe yours has the same problem.

Wow, many thanks for the link; perhaps that's what's going on. That thread happened just before I joined B&B. I s'pose I'm still quite a newb...

Jesse

V

VR6ofpain

I think 4 is the perfect medium of smoothness and aggressiveness.

Wow, many thanks for the link; perhaps that's what's going on. That thread happened just before I joined B&B. I s'pose I'm still quite a newb...

Jesse

No problem.
I dialed my "overclocked" Fatboy down and now it is a dream. The only problem is if you have only one you can't know what it should be. I guess you better get another. What a shame. :001_smile

No problem.
I dialed my "overclocked" Fatboy down and now it is a dream. The only problem is if you have only one you can't know what it should be. I guess you better get another. What a shame. :001_smile

That RAD is a cunning devil. And you are its acolyte. And I am a total sucker for "one more razor"... :001_smile

I've never gone beyond 6 in either my slim adjustable or fatboy. I was getting some razor burn and dialed them down to 5 with better results.

I used to set my Fatboy and Slim on 7 with Feathers but now have them set to 5. While I could get excellent shaves on 7, there was no room for error of any type. So now I play it safe on 5.

Top Bottom