What's new

Does anybody prefer a non pivoting cartridge razor rather than the pivoting one?

Do you prefer non-pivoting cartridge razor or pivoting?

• Total voters
The advantage of the pivoting head is that the razor automatically adjusts the shave angle to that most suitable for the blades. With a non-piivoting head, the shaver has to find the proper angle for the razor and then hold that shave angle as the razor is maneuvered around the face or head if you are a head shaver. The manufacturers of cartridge and disposable razors would lead you to think that multi-blade razors are best because they make a lot of profit from those razors. Not everyone agrees that they are the best for the shaver.

If you already have the skill to use a razor without the pivot, why don't you try a razor that holds a disposable blade rather than an expensive cartridge or disposable razor. I still keep a cartridge razor in the shower for shaving the back of my neck, but I get far better shaves with single edge razors and double edge razors than I ever got back in the days when I used electric shavers and cartridge razors for my face shaves. I even shave with straight razors some of the time, but that is a story for another day. Your results might not be the same as mine, but you will never know if you don't try.
Thank you for your explanation! it shades some new lights on my mindset about pivoting razor. i guess i'm curious to try safety razor, but i'll stick to my trac razor + occasionally disposable razor :D

Hmm .. been a very long time since I really used a cart - but the answer for the last one (a Feather somesuch?) was I locked it out - the pivot is probably marketing hype, but then again there are folks who vote for tinfoil hats ..
i quite agree with you, to me the pivoting seems like a marketing hype that sticks to the market. but i do know some people who genuinely enjoys it, and i have my uncle who has wrist pain and yes that will be very helpful for him to use pivoting razor!

I know a lot of people here love Gillete Trac 2, and i do too but i wish there are a brand out there who "recreate" a cartridge razor non pivoting, that just work as well and easier to change the carts, i would be intrigue to try it. Nowadays all the marketing for new cartridge razor brand are mostly pivoting.. :(

I can get a decent shave with either, but pivoting is great for auto-pilot shaves. I only use carts when flying, though. If I don't need to mess with TSA, it's DE all the way.

I'd agree with that. DE all the way here, too.

The Mach 3 can get me a decent autopilot SAS, but its pivoting action is reactive mechanical feedback (like a train going round a curve, and passively having its wheels nudged sideways), so by the time an angle change would be optimal, the thing is still trying to pivot.

I've regularly made a mess of my jawline downward shave (a convex curved surface), but I'm not far off finally perfecting it, using the pivot action built into a mammal fore-arm.

I invariably also shave the back of my neck to the hair line and armpits where a pivoting head is most useful and prevents nicks and cuts

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Pivoting for me. I used a Schick Super 2/Ultrex for years. Loved the pivoting push clean blades.

I'd agree with that. DE all the way here, too.

The Mach 3 can get me a decent autopilot SAS, but its pivoting action is reactive mechanical feedback (like a train going round a curve, and passively having its wheels nudged sideways), so by the time an angle change would be optimal, the thing is still trying to pivot.

I never analyzed it. That would explain why even my first DE shave blew the carts into the weeds. Kind of like driving a stick shift - you control the parameters.

I only use a cartridge or disposable razor if I’m in a hurry, so pivoting for me. If I want to take more time and have total control I choose a DE every time.

...to me the pivoting seems like a marketing hype that sticks to the market...
It might seem like a marketing hype but it isn't actually. Here is how this works, excerpt from The biomechanics of blade shaving

The majority of modern razors are designed to allow the cartridge to pivot front-to-back relative to the razor handle, and this enables the applied load to be spread evenly onto the skin. The use of a front-pivoting system on modern razors (also called a front-loaded razor), whereby the pivot point is located within the leading elastomer fin element at the front of the cartridge, is particularly beneficial. This enables excessive force to be transmitted through the soft elastomer fins (Fig. 5b), rather than through the blades themselves, as can occur with a central pivot position (Fig. 5a).

This study confirms a strong link between the razor, the resulting blood flux and consequently the consumer rating for skin comfort, driven largely by the ability of the razor to manage the biomechanics of the shave effectively. The 5-blade premium product includes many of the key features designed to promote a comfortable and safe shave: front-pivoting cartridge, elastomer fin guard, thinner blade edges and onboard lubrication. It is concluded that the inclusion of these features is sufficient to cause a meaningful and measurable difference in the inflammatory response of the skin.

When I used cartridge razors, they were always non pivoting. I used a Trac II for over 20 years until it got lost in one of many moves, so I switched to disposable razors. Two years ago I switched to DE razors and have used a cart maybe 3-4 time since then. I do miss the old Trac II and might order one and some blades off the auction site for kicks. Gillette markets a new Trac II clone called the "Gillette 7 O'clock PII" in India and they are quite readily available online with blades.

Gillette 7 O'clock PII.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I will only use a cart or disposable if I have to. I will always pick an OG razor type over a modern thing every time. But if I fly with just a carry on, I might have no choice. So given that, I am going to choose a disposable or cart that most closely emulates an old school shave as much as possible. A Trac II is my top choice. Not too different from shaving with an injector. Plus they are cool. I tried using the Guard, but that was not cutting it for me. Literally. And the pivot isn’t my thing. Then last year I got a pack of BIC Metal razors. Not bad at all. Still dig the Trac II more. But the Metal is serviceable, non pivoting, and renders decent results.

When I used cartridge razors, they were always non pivoting. I used a Trac II for over 20 years until it got lost in one of many moves, so I switched to disposable razors. Two years ago I switched to DE razors and have used a cart maybe 3-4 time since then. I do miss the old Trac II and might order one and some blades off the auction site for kicks. Gillette markets a new Trac II clone called the "Gillette 7 O'clock PII" in India and they are quite readily available online with blades.

View attachment 1550084
I just wanted to say that my Dad owns an original early 80s trac 2 handle and I own a couple Pii handles. I have looked at both up close. They are the same. Since Gillette is manufacturing them I believe they are using the same specs and they are not clones. just my 2 pennies.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I won't use a multi-blade razor, but I voted non-pivoting on the basis of my go to when necessary travel razor - disposable Bic Metal. I'm sorry if that skews your poll in an inappropriate way.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I won't use a multi-blade razor, but I voted non-pivoting on the basis of my go to when necessary travel razor - disposable Bic Metal. I'm sorry if that skews your poll in an inappropriate way.
You've ruined the poll! Totally!

On a serious note, years ago, @JeffJ (as I recall) gifted me a package of Bic Metal's...

And then the moron that lives in my brane decided that a non-pivoting Gillette Good News was a fine razor to take to FLA. Chewed my face up good.

So from now on, I will be a "Poll Ruiner" like you.

I voted for pivoting, but I like non-pivoting carts just fine. I'm currently enjoying the Guard (pivoting), but I also like the Bic Flex5 Hybrid (pivoting) UNO Shave Co. and Trac II razors (both non-pivoting). It just depends on what I'm in the mood for. What I've discovered I don't like is the Mach 3-style pivot because it feels like I lose too much control with that style.

If I'm going cart I'm going all in. Give me that pivot, that swivel, that vibration, that molten heat and 100 blades.

Top Bottom