What's new

Does anybody prefer a non pivoting cartridge razor rather than the pivoting one?

Do you prefer non-pivoting cartridge razor or pivoting?

• Total voters
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and I'm doing a study about pivoting vs non-pivoting cartridge razor. I'm still using the non-pivoting and i feel fine without the pivot, but I'm curious about what other people are thinking about this. I fee like the pivoting is only beneficial for people who has wrist pain, cause our own wrist can pivot easily. So I'm wondering if this pivoting thing is just a marketing from those big razor company that sort of stick with the trend, or do you people think the pivoting actually REALLY help the way we shave. Tell me what you think and let's open this discussion!

Welcome to B&B, Sir Zookie!
Tell us what has brought you?
In your study, you might want to consider the razors that are rotating (Flexball or such!) as well as pivoting!!

gillette flexball mikes pashana may 25 2014.jpg

Hello Sarimento1, thank you for the warm welcome!

I recently get in the game for comparing cartridge razors. During 1 geeky and nerdy night, I noticed how nowadays all new razors seems to have the pivot (or the rotating like your example), while i'm sitting here with my $1 disposable razor the most basic razor out there and i think it works just fine, lol. I tried some pivot razor, but i don't really see the benefit of it. I wonder is it just me?? curious what you guys are thinking about how necessary it is to have pivot razors. i know people who are into safety razor doesn't use pivot, but people who are into cartridge razor seems to really like it. What is your preference? You should cast your vote and keep it rolling! :D

The advantage of the pivoting head is that the razor automatically adjusts the shave angle to that most suitable for the blades. With a non-piivoting head, the shaver has to find the proper angle for the razor and then hold that shave angle as the razor is maneuvered around the face or head if you are a head shaver. The manufacturers of cartridge and disposable razors would lead you to think that multi-blade razors are best because they make a lot of profit from those razors. Not everyone agrees that they are the best for the shaver.

If you already have the skill to use a razor without the pivot, why don't you try a razor that holds a disposable blade rather than an expensive cartridge or disposable razor. I still keep a cartridge razor in the shower for shaving the back of my neck, but I get far better shaves with single edge razors and double edge razors than I ever got back in the days when I used electric shavers and cartridge razors for my face shaves. I even shave with straight razors some of the time, but that is a story for another day. Your results might not be the same as mine, but you will never know if you don't try.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hmm .. been a very long time since I really used a cart - but the answer for the last one (a Feather somesuch?) was I locked it out - the pivot is probably marketing hype, but then again there are folks who vote for tinfoil hats ..

I tend to use cartridge razors traveling and, occasionally in my normal rotation. That said, while I have a Gillette Mach 3, I tend to gravitate to BIC Sensitive or BIC Metal carts.

Before converting to DE Shaving, I used a Gillette Sensor daily; tried the Mach 3 but it was worse than the Sensor for me. My beard clogged the blades, but with the Sensor, I could apply some additional pressure to force a shave; not so with the Mach 3.

We usually have some disposables around for the ladies, and I have one in my den for quick pickups in a couple spots that I can't always get at ATG with my straights. The current one is non-pivoting and I prefer it to the last one, which was pivoting, at least for my purposes.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There's several ways to avoid the carts completely .. I've done mail ahead, purchased some DE blades after landing, and even checked bags when I might have squeezed everything into carryon like most of the herd does these days. But deep in the dopp is an old cart that probably is a Sensor Excel with a pivot - and that hasn't been used save for ears & nostrils since somebody was in short pants ..

Top Bottom