What's new

Does Anybody Here Dislike Shaving Still?

I might be the only one, but I still don't care for shaving. I have the whole set up: brush, soap/cream, DE razor, etc. Not only that, but I have tons of stuff to shave with too. Way more than what I need or want. I still would rather go without shaving. My shaves have gotten way better in the several years I've gone back to traditional ways, but I still don't shave if I don't have to. I have had a beard since 2016 when my enlistment ended and have only been clean shaved a handful of times since then. I guess if I have to start shaving regularly, my face won't hate me so that's the biggest benefit I see with this type of shaving.

I usually only shave my neck and the edges of the beard on my cheeks with a DE razor and shaving oil. If need be, I can use the same set up to go clean shaved. I guess a massive purge of shaving stuff is needed on my end.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, I would say my shaves are much more comfortable, but especially since I've retired, I don't feel the need to shave every day. I do enjoy it, but the real "joy" for me is in the aftershave/colognes.

And using a brush is much more "funner" than foam, for me. Dave

I enjoy taking my leisurely one-pass shaves that take less than 10 minutes. I'm not interested in a longer spa experience. I shave almost every day because I enjoy being clean-shaven.

FarmerTan

I enjoy taking my leisurely one-pass shaves that take less than 10 minutes. I'm not interested in a longer spa experience. I shave almost every day because I enjoy being clean-shaven.
Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'm doing something wrong shaving, as so many gentlemen on here REALLY enjoy their time in front of the mirror, wiping steam from it after a long hot shower, etc.... I enjoy it more, but for years I was in a hurry and settled for a fast shave in the shower with a Sensor.

Now I enjoy it but have stopped chasing BBS and go with 2 or 3 passes and always have a nice clean shave, War Department approved.

If I do have to shave, I get it over with. Some people here take a half hour or longer and that's fine. I'm very much in favor of people doing what makes them happy and feel good. But I'm not trying to spend that kind of time shaving.

If I do have to be clean shaved, I favor your approach.

I am clean-shaven and find that shaving daily has become one of life’s pleasures! :a14: :a14: :a14:
We need that too. I'm very much in favor of you doing what makes you happy. My skin has improved greatly over the past several years I've been shaving this way though.

Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'm doing something wrong shaving, as so many gentlemen on here REALLY enjoy their time in front of the mirror, wiping steam from it after a long hot shower, etc.... I enjoy it more, but for years I was in a hurry and settled for a fast shave in the shower with a Sensor.

Now I enjoy it but have stopped chasing BBS and go with 2 or 3 passes and always have a nice clean shave, War Department approved.
I think I've gotten lazier since I've gotten out of the military. I still like having my hair look right, but since beards are still in style, I have one. I guess I'll shave it off if I get a job that requires it or if I'm with some girl who doesn't like beards.

FarmerTan

I think I've gotten lazier since I've gotten out of the military. I still like having my hair look right, but since beards are still in style, I have one. I guess I'll shave it off if I get a job that requires it or if I'm with some girl who doesn't like beards.
Ah! Not married I assume. Changes EVERYTHING. The smart man only dates women to find one that will marry him, then does so as soon as he can find an officiate. And after the wedding, he grooms himself however she wants.

I draw the line at aftershave lotions. You can wear what YOU like to smell like.

No charge for the free marital advice! It's worth what you paid for it....

I really enjoy it, especially since I switched to open blade shaving. Open blade shaving really changes the entire experience for me. It becomes much more, um, what the word I'm searching for.....heck, I can't find the right word.

But shaving with an open blade, for me, at least, makes me feel kind of how people feel when they do Tai Chi. It's very....centering. Maybe that's the right word. It requires precision and focus and it's a purposeful, graceful series of movements. I find that sort of thing to be good for me. To each his own.

FarmerTan

I really enjoy it, especially since I switched to open blade shaving. Open blade shaving really changes the entire experience for me. It becomes much more, um, what the word I'm searching for.....heck, I can't find the right word.

But shaving with an open blade, for me, at least, makes me feel kind of how people feel when they do Tai Chi. It's very....centering. Maybe that's the right word. It requires precision and focus and it's a purposeful, graceful series of movements. I find that sort of thing to be good for me. To each his own.
I used to get that from oil painting. Centering is as good a word for it as any. Thanks for that post.

I shave for work because I like to look like a professional. I look forward to retirement so I never need to shave again.

I'm good at shaving... took some practice but I do a great job, regularly. It's challenging to switch between DE & straights at times, but things come back quickly and good shaves are still in the mix. In general, I like it and still try to do a good job so I can enjoy the benefits.

Ah! Not married I assume. Changes EVERYTHING. The smart man only dates women to find one that will marry him, then does so as soon as he can find an officiate. And after the wedding, he grooms himself however she wants.

I draw the line at aftershave lotions. You can wear what YOU like to smell like.

No charge for the free marital advice! It's worth what you paid for it....
Great advice for sure. Right now I'm just focusing on bettering myself because women don't like scrubs. I'm almost done with my bachelor's degree, so it's a step in the right direction. I do want those things, so I'm ready to do whatever I have to do within reason to keep a good girl.

I like shaving when I have time to do without being rushed. If I have 10 minute to finish and on the clock for work, it's going to be a sub-optimal shave. I might still enjoy it but I like to be relaxed during the meditative experience.

FarmerTan

Great advice for sure. Right now I'm just focusing on bettering myself because women don't like scrubs. I'm almost done with my bachelor's degree, so it's a step in the right direction. I do want those things, so I'm ready to do whatever I have to do within reason to keep a good girl.
My best advice to find a good woman is to be the kind of man you'd want your daughter to date. Better yourself at every opportunity. Don't take advice from weird old men like me on the internet, lol. Don't sleep with her before you marry her. Or try not to. Give 100% all the time and expect nothing in return. Lay down your life for her daily. Don't refer to her as the War Department, lol. If she EXPECTS an engagement ring that you can't pay cash for, dump her like a hot potato.

I could go on and on, but again, my advice is free, and worth every penny!

The only reason I'm still married after 31+ years is not because I followed all the above advice, but because my lovely War Department is as long suffering as ANYONE you've ever met.

Hate shaving? No. It's just something that at best, has to be done occasionally, and it's also an opportunity to take care of your skin.

I would suggest if you actually hate shaving, something is not working out in your setup. I used to be an infrequent, even if traditional shaver, also... and began to hate it. I ditched alot of the "orthodox" stuff and started going with what worked for me. I like having soft skin and not feeling like my face is tight or burning, so I do not use traditional shave soap, alcohol splashes, etc.

If you really hate shaving though... you can always get laser hair removal on your neck and it will be semi-permanent, and if you have a beard, probably cheaper than shaving. Then you can just pluck out the sparse hairs that grow on your face that you don't want.

My best advice to find a good woman is to be the kind of man you'd want your daughter to date. Better yourself at every opportunity. Don't take advice from weird old men like me on the internet, lol. Don't sleep with her before you marry her. Or try not to. Give 100% all the time and expect nothing in return. Lay down your life for her daily. Don't refer to her as the War Department, lol. If she EXPECTS an engagement ring that you can't pay cash for, dump her like a hot potato.

I could go on and on, but again, my advice is free, and worth every penny!

The only reason I'm still married after 31+ years is not because I followed all the above advice, but because my lovely War Department is as long suffering as ANYONE you've ever met.
Hey if you've been married for 31 years then your advice must mean something! You've been married as long as my parents have been. And a real one won't care if I have facial hair or not.

Hate shaving? No. It's just something that at best, has to be done occasionally, and it's also an opportunity to take care of your skin.

I would suggest if you actually hate shaving, something is not working out in your setup. I used to be an infrequent, even if traditional shaver, also... and began to hate it. I ditched alot of the "orthodox" stuff and started going with what worked for me. I like having soft skin and not feeling like my face is tight or burning, so I do not use traditional shave soap, alcohol splashes, etc.

If you really hate shaving though... you can always get laser hair removal on your neck and it will be semi-permanent, and if you have a beard, probably cheaper than shaving. Then you can just pluck out the sparse hairs that grow on your face that you don't want.
I don't hate it, I just would rather skip it. I don't think my set up is off because I have found what works for me. Luckily, I can use quite a bit of stuff. Not a lot of creams and soaps are off limits for me. If I can lather it and like how it smells, then I can use it. I guess I like having a beard or stubble. I can shave if I have to or if I suddenly get the urge to. I also kind of startle myself whenever I see myself without a beard! I've heard that laser hair removal has more cons than I'm willing to deal with. Shaving is a necessary evil if I have to do it. And I can get great shaves.

Top Bottom