What's new

Does any military in this world issue/sell DE razors, blades and brushes?

Any military in this modern world today actually issues DE razors, blades and brushes anymore?

I remember I had to buy my own gillette mach 5 when I was in the army years ago.

Recently there was this article about the US Navy sending sailors with shaving problems like in grown hairs and razor bumps for expensive and painful surgery. Seems like a joke when they could just issue some good quality DE razors and blades.

None that I know of today.

Gillette’s greatest marketing move was to partner with the US military to issue shaving kit to US troops. I wish they would go back to making these classic products for the military market.

I wish the military issued DE razors and brushes. Only thing that I've seen are just regular cartridges and canned goo that you have to buy from PX. VDH are probably the closest you'd get.

Any military in this modern world today actually issues DE razors, blades and brushes anymore?

I remember I had to buy my own gillette mach 5 when I was in the army years ago.

Recently there was this article about the US Navy sending sailors with shaving problems like in grown hairs and razor bumps for expensive and painful surgery. Seems like a joke when they could just issue some good quality DE razors and blades.

Thanks for your service!

Back then could you have used your own DE rather than the issued cartridge?

The US Navy does not. They don't issue any razor (except maybe in boot camp?). Knowing a few guys with bad razor bumps, they used to get medical no-shave chits pretty easily. Those days are over as of a few months ago. Don't know if a discussion of changes to shaving regimen are part of discussions with the doc, but they should be, and in those cases I'd hope the doc can write a prescription so the cost is covered. I do have a buddy who had problems with razor bumps, but didn't want to go the no-shave route, so he picked up a safety razor.

The Canadian Armed Forces no longer issues shaving gear; you have to buy your own before you arrive at basic training.

The interesting thing is that they still require a safety razor; the kit list shows "Razor with blades (non-disposable)". Also, a few people I've talked to say that old shaving brushes can be used for another purpose: cleaning weapons.

In the late 80's when I went to the Air Force, I took my Remington Micro-screen with me and used it during basic. I didn't have much facial hair back then and it worked in the short amount of time we had to S.S.S.

The Canadian Armed Forces no longer issues shaving gear; you have to buy your own before you arrive at basic training.

The interesting thing is that they still require a safety razor; the kit list shows "Razor with blades (non-disposable)". Also, a few people I've talked to say that old shaving brushes can be used for another purpose: cleaning weapons.
Nah, you can't really do that. The parts inside are so small, you need a dedicated cleaning kit to do it especially the barrel.

Nah, you can't really do that. The parts inside are so small, you need a dedicated cleaning kit to do it especially the barrel.
I should have been more specific. They meant that they use them to brush off dirt and dust from the exterior of their firearms and other equipment.

Seems like a harsh use for something that is usually meant for use on one's face. :001_smile

I recently watched a video (then found a few more) reviewing a modern made Russian (if i remember correctly) de razor made for military use but also sold to the public as well that has a spacer and is actually intended to be used with two de blades, the blade on the bottom is 'normal' and the blade on the top must have the middle section cut out to fit. You essentially then have a de version of the twin injector blades. From what I understand it doesn't really work well with just a single blade but I also couldn't imagine being a troop out in the field fighting for survival and having to stop and gently trim a de blade lol. It's got an open comb on one side and a safety bar on the other, the intention is bulk removal with the OC then finishing touches (drill sargent inspection as I've heard used in the USA) with the safety bar side.

No legitimate idea if it is an issued item vs an option but the closest modern example I know.

The US doesn't issue shaving gear anymore and hasn't in a long time. You have to buy that stuff yourself. Mostly they sell the same stuff you can find anywhere else, sometimes at slightly reduced prices. The BX at the base near me does sell the standard Personna store brand Israeli-made DE blades in a 10-pack for about $2. They also have VDH DE razors, blades, soap, and brushes on the shelf at about the same prices you'd find anywhere. Up until a few years ago, I could get Personna Platinum Chrome injector blades in an 11-pack there for about $2.

Total assumption here but I doubt most modern day military personnel have the time nor care for a multi pass shave with lengthy prep, moreso getting the job done to written standards. Anyone who experiences the common cartridge shaving problems that typically leads to exploring traditional shaving would probably just use an electric, trimmers, or something like the Philips oneblade, and in extreme cases be given one of those shaving 'pass' exemption things.

BBS in the military stands for "Better Be Shooting"

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Unless they made DE shaving a part of the boot camp instruction then issuing DE razors would be a disaster. Too many people nowadays have been indoctrinated to shave using a pivoting head disposable...pressure and all. Recruits would be bleeding all over the place and most would be permanently turned away from DE shaving for the rest of their lives...

Top Bottom