What's new

Does Alum Pose a Risk to Straights?

And just to prove how OCD I can be I will give you my cure. Any time I get water in the pivot I use my can of compressed air that usually gets used around the computer to blow out the pivot area. Yes, it probably is unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.

My point of view is a razor is a tool similar to a carpenter and his framing hammer or a police officer and his duty weapon. Sure, they are going to get wet, maybe dropped and not going to get the most meticulious care everytime after use. A good rinsing/drying after use and maybe some additional care once a week, thats it. The BBQ razors, now that is alittle different and need the additional attention because there not the everyday shaver and left unattended for a week or more can deteriorate quickly once afoot.

As as steptic pencils and alum, I'd say no more corrosive than that shaving sweat that exudes from my skin occassional when I am careless. Blood is alittle trickier to rinse off due to the enzymes and needs to be flushed thoughly. I've had more shadows show up due to this than anything else and waxing the blade once every week or two with some paste wax when the blade is dry, really dry. Experiance has taught me to use a q-tip and not my finger.

A good rinse, a wipe-down just short of the edge, and a little mineral oil and good to go. As others have said, the razor is a tool. Some cost more then others, but a tool nonetheless.

Top Bottom