What's new

DOES A SMALL BLADE GAP ALWAYS IMPEDE THE EXIT OF LATHER?

I was shaving this morning with a DE razor that had an unusually small blade gap.

In theory, is a razor with a small blade gap more prone to clogging? Does it have to be rinsed more often during the shave?

I'm not sure. Logically the answer would be Yes, I suppose. But other elements of design may cause lather to exit from a razor's head. I have learned that things are not always what they seem to be. Some things in life may seem illogical, but the world still rotates once every 24 hours.

... But other elements of design may cause lather to exit from a razor's head.

I have found that no matter the blade gap, it was the 'design' of the lather that produced clogging. One of my milestones to achieve irritation-free shaves was learning to create slick, well-lubricated lather and as a side effect I noticed when rinsing my razor by swirling it in water between passes, that the soap always escapes the razor without effort since then. Regardless of the razor and it's blade gap.
Surely not the answer you asked for, but probably worth mentioning. 🌞

I have found that no matter the blade gap, it was the 'design' of the lather that produced clogging. One of my milestones to achieve irritation-free shaves was learning to create slick, well-lubricated lather and as a side effect I noticed when rinsing my razor by swirling it in water between passes, that the soap always escapes the razor without effort since then. Regardless of the razor and it's blade gap.
If the gap is tiny you really need to shave often or it will clog. Regardless of how you make the lather, it will not push big whiskers through a tiny gap. Unless one got a really dry thick lather, it is never the lather that clogs a razor but the hairs that are getting stuck.

If the gap is tiny you really need to shave often or it will clog. Regardless of how you make the lather, it will not push big whiskers through a tiny gap. Unless one got a really dry thick lather, it is never the lather that clogs a razor but the hairs that are getting stuck.

Agreed, I should have probably mentioned that I shave almost daily.

Naturally many a hair will lead to clogging, but then a difference in blade gap doesn't matter much anyway, right? Or ... does it:

😸

Naturally many a hair will lead to clogging, but then a difference in blade gap doesn't matter much anyway, right? Or ... does it
My experience has been that any DE with a bar benefits from a big gap if one shave long beard like in the video. Merkur 15C got almost no gap at all (it looks like the blade is touching the combs), and it will also mow down even longer hair because of the open comb design.

A mall gap clogs easier
Thick lather clogs easier
Longer or thicker hair clogs easier.

For instance I have a focus r48 with a tiny gap it needs daily shaves and thin lather to give decent results.

OTOH with a wide open qshave or Parker I could probably push toothpaste with the tooth brush still in there through ;-)

Top Bottom