What's new

Does a razor stay cleaner using shaving cream compared to shaving soap?

Saw a YouTube commenting on how a Proraso soap left more residue on a razor than Proraso cream (both green).

I've always used shaving creams and was thinking about trying soaps. Keeping my razors clean is also a concern.

Does a shaver stay cleaner using creams?

I have used shaving soaps almost exclusively. I have never had a problems keeping my razor clean. Whether I use cream or soap only a quick rinse under water and wipe off using a microfiber cloth is needed…looks just as good as the day I bought it without any residue.

Saw a YouTube commenting on how a Proraso soap left more residue on a razor than Proraso cream (both green).

I've always used shaving creams and was thinking about trying soaps. Keeping my razors clean is also a concern.

I have not seen any difference from soap vs cream. However, this is one reason i don't use Proraso. It leaves allot of residue in mt sink, and on my razors my. This is also one reason i don't use TOBS. The performance is grate, but the gunk and the post shave feel is just not for me.
So, i think it is more dependent on the type cream/soap you use.
I prefer soap for other reasons.

If you have very hard water, soaps based on stearic acid and tallow may produce soap scum. A cream based on similar ingredients would have the same issue. If you are using a cream based on synthetic detergents then you might not have the soap scum issue. However, the performance won't be as good as a soap or cream based on traditional ingredients.

There is also shaving gel. Just throwing this in. :)

Or perhaps throw it out. :eek2:

Aerosol cans are not good for the environment and the contents are not particularly good for your skin.

Here are the ingredients for Gillette Fusion gel: Water/Eau, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isopentane, Glyceryl oleate, Stearic acid, Glycerin, Fragrance/parfum, Isobutane, Sorbitol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Peg-90M, Menthol, BHT, Peg-23M, Propylene glycol, Glyceryl acrylate/acrylic acid copolymer, PVM/MA copolymer, Green 3, Blue 1

One of the more prominent ingredients in the product is Triethanolamine which is used to provide a suitable product texture. While it might not be harmful, it provides no known benefits to the skin.

Using the same manufacturer's product- someone doesn't know how to create consistent lather. Damp your brush tip, go back to your soap and don't doodle around forever in the bowl, "adding more product". Overall, if you use the same technique with a few products, some will inherently be thicker, some thinner. Thicker will hold onto your blade and clog more. I generally try for a creamy, not to "lofty" foam, the higher the loft, the thicker it is. Some products tout higher lubricity, etc., etc., and you may need to watch your lather, as your usual routine may result in more of a paste and more water may completely dilute your product.

The only cream or soap I have problems with is Creamo- that is some gob-snot stuff! Slick, tho'...

Proraso soap left more residue on a razor than Proraso cream
That has been my experience as well. Proraso in the tub is the only product that left a noticeable residue after multiple uses. This is with a black razor, so any residue would be much more visible.

Just my 2 cents...
I use both soap and cream. I am very particular about the ingredients that are in my soaps. It's not about sustainability or humanity, it's about the quality of ingredients. That all said, I have found hands down that creams leave a residue on all my shaving things, razors, bowls, sink, and blades that while heavier, is just as easy to clean off. Every time I change my blade (every other shave), everything gets a quick wipe with the shaving towel. Every couple weeks or so, I run razors through a cheap ultrasonic with hot water, vinegar, and Dawn for 10 minutes. I think I picked up that ultrasonic on Amazon for $10 - $15 bucks.
Remember that your water has a great deal to do with every aspect of your shaving experience and me being in Phoenix, we have very hard water.

Every couple weeks or so, I run razors through a cheap ultrasonic with hot water, vinegar, and Dawn for 10 minutes. I think I picked up that ultrasonic on Amazon for $10 - $15 bucks.
I run vintage razors I receive through an ultrasonic. Sometimes it surprises me. I don’t like the idea of using it often but once in a while for a heavy duty cleanup on a low setting seems to do a lot. I’ve found this with hot water and dish soap then A plastic brush can get a lot of gunk out of knurling.

Rinse and dry mine also
but some soaps some creams just leave some white residue while others do not :)
so tend to avoid those that leave that residue as I do wonder how much is stuck on my face then :)

I run vintage razors I receive through an ultrasonic. Sometimes it surprises me. I don’t like the idea of using it often but once in a while for a heavy duty cleanup on a low setting seems to do a lot. I’ve found this with hot water and dish soap then A plastic brush can get a lot of gunk out of knurling.
What is the concern with using an ultra sonic?

I also use a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean my razors
I highly recommend against using toothpaste to clean a razor, particularly a vintage one. A vintage gold washed Gillette for example. One dab of toothpaste and a rub and voila! Brass.

Newer finishes can also be affected negatively. If label says it whitens the teeth it is more abrasive. Baking soda is ~20x less abrasive than most toothpaste. (Don't use it either.)

Rinse with hot water and rub with a clean soft cloth, done.

I think it might just be an ingredient in the Proraso soap. Or it could be the ingredients in that particular soap in combination with minerals in the water.

A cream might be easier to rinse off, but I haven't had too much problem with soaps. That's mostly what I use (soaps like Haslinger, MWF, Speick, Tabac, Cella Bio, etc).

It is more a hard water issue and not a choice of soap or cream. Hard water is a pain in the neck for scum buildup but it tastes better than softer water; so I am told.

What is the concern with using an ultra sonic?
Compromised plating and causing more damage. Depending on how you place it the rubbing action can leave marks on the plating too (I use a plastic bag so it isn’t directly metal on metal). I’ve seen a beat up Milord loose a tiny bit more gold and others see it with the older gold plating. I limit the time to 4-6 minutes but my unit is slightly more intense than an eye glasses one.

Top Bottom