What's new

Does a more aggressive razor necessarily mean a closer shave?

I've been experimenting with the settings of a Merkur Progress and I feel as if a more aggressive razor does not necessarily shave closer but just makes the process of cutting off hair a little bit easier since more of the blade is exposed. What do you guys think? Have you ever genuinely got a closer shave with a more aggressive razor?

I'm also trying to figure this out, new to this, I have the Progress, so far I've got the best shave out of +2 setting with Super-Max Super Stainless. Will be trying out +2.5 and +3.0 soon to compare the results. Not trying to get any closer as I've got super close shave. Hoping I could get it done in less passes.

I think you get a closer, and more efficient shave. Then again, I run all my adjustables wide open, love the Slants, and Open Combs.

I have a not so thick but very coarse beard and normal skin (not sensitive). I've started with both my slim and fatboy at a 1 and slowly cranked up to 5. I do 2~3 passes + touch up pass. To be honest... with my beard/face I can hardly tell the difference. With the razors set more aggressively I'd say there's tad less to touch up. I guess it all depends on the beard/face but with the multi pass beard reduction approach, I see no reason why a mild razor can't give as close a shave as a more aggressive one.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
To expand on my short answer, an aggressive razor simply allows more stuff (whiskers, skin, moles, etc.) to get in between the guard and the blade. So if you have a very thick beard or several days of growth the more aggressive razor will allow you to knock down more jungle on the first pass.

A less aggressive razor has a blade that still contacts the skin, so it isn't any further away from your skin than the aggressive razor. however, it has a smaller operating range of angles and forces the user to hold the razor at the optimum angle more carefully. It will also ride up over a very thick/dense beard on the first pass, which may give the appearance of not shaving close.

On the final ATG pass an aggressive razor will more easily take down the final stubble with a wide variety of operating angles, while the milder razor will have to be held in its narrow operating window to achieve the same thing. They will both yield a close comfortable shave if used correctly. The more aggressive razor will also more easily go beyond close and can cause irritation and razor burn if used too aggressively.

I think more aggressive is more efficient in that it will cut hair with less strokes, which IMHO equals less skin irritation. Touch ups for me usually result in irritated areas. However more aggressive can also equal nicks and weepers with a lazy technique, or a mistake.

Yeah, mild razors can shave you close. I have a variety of razors, some aggressive (Merkur Slant, Gem OCMM, etc.) and some mild (Tech, Feather Weight, etc.). Today, I decided to break in a bar of Mike's Natural Coconut Soap with my Schick Krona, which I think of as a very mild razor. I got a very close and smooth shave! The soap certainly helped, but I think it also indicates that my technique has improved since the last time I used the Krona.

No. You should use the most "aggressive" razor your skin can tolerate on a regular basis for routine shaving.
Anything more just gives your skin razor burn and you will subconsciously back off from making skin contact and your shaves will get worse not better.
Even the best technique will not overcome a razor burned face. Only time and healing will.

If you want to use a razor that is more aggressive than you can normally handle, use it on limited (special) occasions.

Shaving should be enjoyable not torturous.

Last edited:
No, it does not. I get very close shaves with my Progress and my Futur set to 2. I also have a very dense, heavy beard. Technique is much more important than aggressiveness. I recommend setting your razor to the lowest setting that will provide you with a satisfying shave.

I did an experiment. I put a Feather blade in a Merkur 15c open comb and did two passes. WTG and XTG. Since this was my first shave with the 15c scored from the B/S/T I figured I would go with a top blade. Two passes felt like I was shaving with no blade. I took the same blade and put it into my Gillette New OC and did two passes. XTG and ATG. This was my first OC razor and gives a very good shave. There was still an ATG stubble feeling so for the sake of experimenting I broke out my favorite razor, the Muhle R101(R41) which had a 3 shave Polsilver in it. My first pass with the Muhle was WTG and it sounded like I did not even run a blade across my face. I did another pass ATG and followed with touch ups. I realized that the R101 is my daily shaver. The R41 head has a love hate relationship with the members here. Those of us who love it do love it. The R41 is known as a very "aggressive" razor, but IMHO I personally do not get a closer shave than with my Muhle. I have not tried a straight because I am a head shaver also and I am content to be a DE shaver. I would recommend that you at least try an open comb DE razor and if you are feeling bold give the R41 a test drive. Good luck and good shaves to you.

Last edited:
I did an experiment. I put a Feather blade in a Merkur 15c open comb and did two passes. WTG and XTG. Since this was my first shave with the 15c scored from the B/S/T I figured I would go with a top blade. Two passes felt like I was shaving with no blade. I took the same blade and put it into my Gillette New OC and did two passes. XTG and ATG. This was my first OC razor and gives a very good shave. There was still an ATG stubble feeling so for the sake of experimenting I broke out my favorite razor, the Muhle R101(R41) which had a 3 shave Polsilver in it. My first pass with the Muhle was WTG and it sounded like I did not even run a blade across my face. I did another pass ATG and followed with touch ups. I realized that the R101 is my daily shaver. The R41 head has a love hate relationship with the members here. Those of us who love it do love it. The R41 is known as a very "aggressive" razor, but IMHO I personally do not get a closer shave than with my Muhle. I have not tried a straight because I am a head shaver also and I am content to be a DE shaver. I would recommend that you at least try an open comb DE razor and if you are feeling bold give the R41 a test drive. Good luck and good shaves to you.

Are you referring to the r41 2011 model? If yes then that is a very aggressive razor. It can really be effective if used correctly, but it requires an extensive and dedicated learning curve.

I have a DE89 which is pretty mild. It gives me a good shave and I've never seriously nicked myself with it, but I do have some areas on my neck that I just can't seem to get to very well. Sometimes I'll even take a straight razor to that area to touch up afterward. I'm also considering a more aggressive razor, especially since I have a decent amount of experience now.

A more agressive razor will give you wider leeway on the angle of cutting, so long as you keep your touch light you can get a quicker shave with whatever angle you happen to be using.
a milder razor needs a more precise angle.
so long as you have the angle dialed in both perform exactly the same.
personal experience -- R41 and fat handled tech, I think that pretty much covers the spectrum of agressive-mild.
It took me a while to figure out how to hold the tech and getting the angle right, but now both give me the same shave in the same amount of time (two pass shave)

Aggressive razors give you the possibility to choose from more angles. This can lead to a more efficient shave and less strain on your skin, when you do it right, or to more remaining stubble and a sour skin when you don't.

Unless your mild razor doesn't allow your prefered angles the outcome of the shave will not be much different; it might just take an extra pass with the mild razor.

Nope. My closest shaves ever have been with very mild razors. But I do like to use an aggressive razor for every day. I use mergress on 3-5 or a straight

Aggressive always closer? No. Not at all. It can go to the two extremes. The agressive razor can give you irritation and a bad shave and the razor more on the mild side can give you the irritation free closer shave. YMMV.

A more agressive razor will give you wider leeway on the angle of cutting, so long as you keep your touch light you can get a quicker shave with whatever angle you happen to be using.
personal experience -- R41 and fat handled tech, I think that pretty much covers the spectrum of agressive-mild.
It took me a while to figure out how to hold the tech and getting the angle right, but now both give me the same shave in the same amount of time (two pass shave)

+1. This.

+1 Best advice, right here!

Top Bottom