What's new

Doe and Falcon

I just saw the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life.. I was making the Beau Brummel cologne and the dog was going nuts in the yard, so I went out to look. There was a yearling doe standing by the big oak tree with something at her feet.. I was thinking that was the biggest rabbit I had ever seen... (my eyes are going at my advanced age....lol)

Then it spread its wings and flew off.. It was the biggest falcon I have ever seen in my life. The doe just stood there untill I brought the dog back in the house...

What were a doe and a falcon doing hanging out together!? Has anyoine ever heard of anything like this!?

This was probably the most awesome thing I have ever seen..... Amazing.

I all likelihood your falcon was looking for a meal of veal venison, I don't think it was a falcon though if it was that big, can you describe it with any more detail?

below are
Red tailed hawk
Turkey Vulture
Immature Bald eagle
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

As usual something to say!

I hate to say this but the falcon was looking at dinner. He was probably figuring out if he could fly away with the venison.

Rafael

Well, it could have been the red tail hawk.. I have a bunch of them here! But when it flew off it looked like the Peregrin that one of the kids had back in high school. So now I am not sure...... I didn't notice the red flash of the tail.. just the white and brown colors.

If it was going for roast venison, why would it have been just sitting on the ground??

Sue, who is still so awed she can hardly think.....

It could have been a Mexican stand off!

Peregrines are not that large so I don't know, The thing is that we are not used to seeing most birds of prey on the ground and near objects that lend perspective I have been a birder for a long time (mostly waterfowl) and the birds of prey are still difficult to identify as most of the time they are silhouetted against the sky Maybe a Harrier ?

Well, maybe it was a red tail... like I said, there are tons of them here and I have a nest of them in the backyard... I can't let the cats out anymore....

It was bigger than a falcon... it must have been a red tail hawk..

I still have shivers tho....!! Wow.

Well, like the others I doubt that it was the falcon, they are generally much smaller than Hawks or Eagles, so if the size impressed you, maybe it was one of those.

Red Tail Hawks and, to a degree Swainson's Hawks can give you those same looks. However, Eagles have been known to knock young mammals like small deer, goats and sheep off of steep rocks where they become food. My guess is that it was, as mentioned, an immature Bald Eagle (before the white head plummage) or the more common Golden Eagle that looks very similar but is smaller, but only slightly.

Maybe when it realized that it simply couldn't push this guy anywhere that he went in search of easier prey.

They really can't kill anything much bigger then they are unless they, so it's unlikely he'd be successful at this hunt.

Of course, it's possible that the Deer was checking out some dead Squirrel or something and the Eagle/Hawk came down and took it. Deer are generally plant eaters, but they will eat the ocassional protein meal if the stumble across it. Little known fact that I just learned last summer.

Peace,

Pierre

Very interesting...I would think that the theory of some sort of dead animal makes the most sense. A couple of weeks ago we were Antelope hunting and watched as a coyote chased an Antelope around and around in circles...then the Antelope chased the coyote around and around in circles...they kept trading off chasing each other until finally the coyote ran away...pretty cool to watch nature run its course.

..all this venison talk has got me thinking to pull a venison salame out of the freezer. :drool:

boboakalfb said:
Very interesting...I would think that the theory of some sort of dead animal makes the most sense. A couple of weeks ago we were Antelope hunting and watched as a coyote chased an Antelope around and around in circles...then the Antelope chased the coyote around and around in circles...they kept trading off chasing each other until finally the coyote ran away...pretty cool to watch nature run its course.

..all this venison talk has got me thinking to pull a venison salame out of the freezer. :drool:

How did your 'lope hunt go?

Pretty well...in CA there aren't many tags available. My friend had been putting in for this tag for 16 years when he finally pulled it. Definitely a good time. Scouted on Friday and was able to take the buck on Saturday at 11...the plan worked out perfectly, the shooter positioned himself about 150 yards from where we thought they would get pushed. We were up on a ridge and watched them at about 1000 yards. We saw 2 different groups trying to stalk them so figured they might get pushed in our direction. The 2 non shooters made our way to the edge where we could keep them from escaping in that direction. We were able to watch the whole thing as it unfolded. It was the biggest buck of the herd. About 24 in all. Felt bad for the guy who crawled on his stomach for 200 yards trying to get into range. I am sure the ring from the rifle going off probably broke his heart...

Thats me on the right.

proxy.php

Nice Buck and shave! nice looking country

Not many 'lopes in NYC (well afew but in the bronx) someday!:biggrin:

Top Bottom