What's new

DoctorStrobe's Shaving Soap Walkabout 2019

I have decided that through all of 2019 I will use a different shaving soap every day.

Why?
1) I found the razor and blade I like (Post-war Gold Gillette fat handle Tech, Astra SP blade) so the only thing left for trying new things is soaps.

2) I've developed an interest in scents. Colognes, EDTs, etc. The only way I can find out what a certain scent "note" smells like is to try something. I still have no idea what "Oud" smells like for example.

3) Alcohol was involved during the initial idea process. Rusty nail with Monkey Shoulder scotch. Very good...

The rules:
1) For every day that I shave, I will use a soap that I haven't used previously in 2019.
I plan on shaving every day but if I don't for some reason I won't be lathering up a soap.

2) By "soap" I mean any product used for shaving: soap, croap, cream in a tube, cream in a can, gel, butter, etc. I probably won't be using canned goop but I'm allowing it just in case I run out of product and have to buy something from the drug store. I will be buying sample quantities if available.

3) I will use soaps that I have already used in 2018. I'll probably mix them in through the year. It's only about a half dozen different soaps anyway...

4) I don't always use a pre-shave product, but if it's a soap that I think will irritate me I may use some pre-shave oil or balm. Arko for example really benefits from some pre-shave oil to prevent skin drying.

I will try to post daily which soap I used along with some general impressions. Scent, how it lathers, slickness, post shave feel. Maybe a picture of the label, lather?
If I can't get to it I'll do a post for each past day.

Maybe I'll keep a list of favorite soaps and post it at the end of the year? I'll think about it.

Addition to Rule 2:
Soaps of the same "brand" but with a different scent are considered different soaps.
So, I would consider TOBS Sandalwood and TOBS Grapefruit to be different soaps.
But, Proraso RED in the tub and in the tube are the same soap.
Yes, there may be differences in lather, etc but I'm not going to be that picky.
This isn't a contest, I just need to set some guidelines for myself.

I've decided that I'm not going to just blindly order a bunch of sample packs.
I'm going to pick and choose which ones I think I would like or has some scent or property I haven't tried yet.
Otherwise I'd end up with a half dozen of the same scents. Sandalwood, bay rum, etc.
I may skip ones that have things I know I don't like. Menthol for example. I may try one for the heck of it though...
I promise I will try Tabac. (but not the veg)

I have decided to change the plan.
I will use a different shaving soap for every WEEK of 2019.

After doing a lot of research I found that while there ARE enough soaps out there to use a different one EVERY DAY, there are not enough that I actually would actually want to use.
365 soaps is a lot of soaps...
I kept finding soaps that I would use only because they were cheap and would fill in a day.
I really do not want to use the "Zombie Farts" soap I found on Etsy. (I didn't buy it...)

Additionally, one day is not enough time to spend with a soap to really appreciate it.

So, 52 soaps it is.

I have decided to change the plan.
I will use a different shaving soap for every WEEK of 2019.

After doing a lot of research I found that while there ARE enough soaps out there to use a different one EVERY DAY, there are not enough that I actually would actually want to use.
365 soaps is a lot of soaps...
I kept finding soaps that I would use only because they were cheap and would fill in a day.
I really do not want to use the "Zombie Farts" soap I found on Etsy. (I didn't buy it...)

I think a never before tried soap purchase a week would be a more modest/productive goal.

Additionally, one day is not enough time to spend with a soap to really appreciate it.

So, 52 soaps it is.

Sounds better than the zombie farts candy that I discovered from auto-fill guessing that is where I was headed while typing zombie farts soap. Does the foam glow with the soap? Could astound people, telling them how well you shave with the lights off. :)

I think a new soap purchase and trial of a never before tried soap weekly would be more productive/enjoyable/attainable goal.

There is another variety: Toxic Zombie Farts soap.
Yes, it does glow in the dark. Maybe I will try it...?

It’s vanilla scented...

There is another variety: Toxic Zombie Farts soap.
Yes, it does glow in the dark. Maybe I will try it...?

It’s vanilla scented...

Yeah, I did a web search and saw the soap was glow in the dark and vanilla scented. Not what I thought such farts would smell like. I guess their sorta opposite of the living. Smell bad on the outside, good on the inside. Wow! mind just went deep gutter.

Humphrey’s Handmade soaps really has a lot of variety.
Definitely getting the glow in the dark soap.
Trying to decide between: Beaver, The Dude, Drop Bear or Deez Nuts...

Welcome to the journals! A soap a week sounds better for study. You can learn a soap better in a week than a day.

I’m at a similar stage. I have found the hardware that I like and trying different soaps. I’m chasing scents to add to the rotation, but at a slower rate than you will be. I am currently rotating through 8 soaps and a few samples. I usually keep one soap during the work week and mix it up on the weekends.

Hi, Thanks.
While it should be possible to do 'one a day' using a lot of samples, it was beginning to be "not fun anymore".
Maybe in 2020...

Speaking of samples, I realized that some sample size soaps that I've already bought will not likely last through a full week. So I'll just use it up then switch to the next one.

Shaving Gear:

This is the gear I plan to use this year: (subject to change of course)
  • Razor: Re-plated Gillette post-war fat handle Tech from BackRoadsGold
  • Blades: Astra SP
  • Brushes: Parker badger, Proraso (Omega) boar, Maggard's synthetic
  • Bowls: The brown one is a "redware" bowl from a potter at Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts named "Robinson" that I found at a tag sale, the blue one is from an Irish company called "Handmade Soap Co." that I found at an antique store.
  • The Avon seashell decanter is full of witch hazel mixed with a few splashes of various vintage Avon aftershaves.
In the background is Avon Black Suede which is my favorite EDT, though I do use others.

DSgear.jpg

Shaving Gear:

This is the gear I plan to use this year: (subject to change of course)
  • Razor: Re-plated Gillette post-war fat handle Tech from BackRoadsGold
  • Blades: Astra SP
  • Brushes: Parker badger, Proraso (Omega) boar, Maggard's synthetic
  • Bowls: The brown one is a "redware" bowl from a potter at Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts named "Robinson" that I found at a tag sale, the blue one is from an Irish company called "Handmade Soap Co." that I found at an antique store.
  • The Avon seashell decanter is full of witch hazel mixed with a few splashes of various vintage Avon aftershaves.
In the background is Avon Black Suede which is my favorite EDT, though I do use others.

View attachment 937005

One thing I see about your gear that I think everyone should have. A boar, badger, and synthetic. It lets you find out what qualities you like in brushes quicker than trying different makes of the same type of bristles. If the boar is better liked, you might pick up a horse and/or an S-brush, for try other boars. If badger is more liked, different qualities and makers of badgers. If Synthetic, different types of those.

Love that Seashell!

Blade Choices:

I thought I had found "My Blade" until I tried a Gillette Silver Blue.

The Astra SP was the sharpest and smoothest of the blades from a couple of sample sets.
I had heard some discussion on the GSB in the blades sub forum so I figured I'd try it.

A 5 pack came in with a soap order so I figured I give it a try.
So far it was the smoothest nick free shave I've ever done.
I did a direct comparison with an Astra this morning and the GSB is definitely sharper and smoother.

So, unless my face falls off before the new year I'm going to use the GSB as my primary blade and the Astra SP if I find that the soap isn't providing enough protection and needs a milder blade.

Both the Astra SPs and the GSBs are well liked by a lot of posters here. I haven't found my blade yet, knocked some out of contention, but get good shaves from most blades I have tried, so will probably be a longevity thing. Which will take quite a while to run through, then second check the front runner.

Christmas Shave:

I had received a soap shipment from Stirling Soaps yesterday and they were kind enough to include a free sample bar of a bath soap called "Christmas Eve". So I did a combo of this with some Derby unscented shave cream.
Lathered up quite well, not the best for slickness but still provided a good shave.
Nice scent for the season.

I am going back to the Astra SP as my primary blade. The GSB is just a bit too sharp, even in the Tech razor.
There are spots on my face that just can't take a blade that sharp, even with the lightest touch I could do.
It was causing a few red spots and the start of a few ingrowns.

Happy Holidays to all who are reading!

Yes, the Astra is just the right balance of sharpness and smoothness for me in the Tech razor.
Great shave this morning on Astra SP, second use. The first use didn't feel as smooth.
Maybe I'll look into the "corking" technique for the first blade use.

Beard Map:

I finally got around to doing a beard map diagram. I've memorized it already but figured it would be good to document it. Maybe I'll find out a few years from now that I was wrong about something...

It's a bit complicated, like someone hit me in the face with a shovel...

My Beard Map.jpg

Over the past few days I've been having a reaction to "something"...
It has resulted in what I call "Lobster Face".

Maybe it's sandalwood... I've been using Proraso Red.

I'm going to be finding a mild shave soap/cream to stick with.

Signing off now.

END

Top Bottom