What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

I'm pretty sure none of the bad guys ever backed off when any of the Doctors warned them that Earth/character/planet/galaxy/universe was under his/her protection.

Maybe or maybe not but when the prior Doctors made a threat, real or empty, I believed that something might happen, that the Doctor could back it up. With the threat proposed in Kablam, I didn't believe it. I wasn't convinced that anything would or could come out of it. In my opinion she didn't sell it and that's the point I was trying to make. That it was part of the preachy part of the show probably didn't help.

I forgot to ask, what's up with that huge, thrusting phallic thingy in the middle of of the Tardis? And what's up with the wobbling weiner things on the ceiling surrounding it?

Maybe or maybe not but when the prior Doctors made a threat, real or empty, I believed that something might happen, that the Doctor could back it up. With the threat proposed in Kablam, I didn't believe it. I wasn't convinced that anything would or could come out of it. In my opinion she didn't sell it and that's the point I was trying to make. That it was part of the preachy part of the show probably didn't help.

What is your ideal episode? You haven’t seemed very happy about Doctor Who for a very long time now.

What is your ideal episode? You haven’t seemed very happy about Doctor Who for a very long time now.

You are right, it's been a long time. The ideal type of episode for me would have would have happened in the Eccleston, Tennant and Smith eras.

Examples:
Eccleston - The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances
Tennant - Tooth And Claw, Human Nature, Family of Blood, The Girl In The Fireplace, The Shakespeare Code
Smith - Vincent And The Doctor, The Eleventh Hour

Last edited:
Just watched Kablam and it was ok. It seemed very Doctorish to me. The delivery bots were creepy enough, the twist of the system sending out the message was nice and the weaponized bubble wrap was brillant.

I'm afraid to post my dislikes because there seems to be a few in here who are pretty adamant in there defense but here I go....
The doctor just doesn't seem to have the gravatas/presence for the role. The writing doesn't seem to help her. For example when she starts complaining that she is trying to process or remember so many things (I can't remember the exact line but it just reinforced weakness to me). Her threat didn't convince me either. In an earlier post I said they should bring back Michelle Gomez for a Doctor/Master showdown but I'm not sure that Jodi could pull it off. I haven't seen Jodi play in anything else so I'm not sure if it is a problem with director and writing or if it is just her personality. Sorry to offend.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just watched Kablam and it was ok. It seemed very Doctorish to me. The delivery bots were creepy enough, the twist of the system sending out the message was nice and the weaponized bubble wrap was brillant.

I'm afraid to post my dislikes because there seems to be a few in here who are pretty adamant in there defense but here I go....
The doctor just doesn't seem to have the gravatas/presence for the role. The writing doesn't seem to help her. For example when she starts complaining that she is trying to process or remember so many things (I can't remember the exact line but it just reinforced weakness to me). Her threat didn't convince me either. In an earlier post I said they should bring back Michelle Gomez for a Doctor/Master showdown but I'm not sure that Jodi could pull it off. I haven't seen Jodi play in anything else so I'm not sure if it is a problem with director and writing or if it is just her personality. Sorry to offend.
Yes the writing could be better, but while it may not have been a winner, the episode wasn’t bad. Some may call it social engineering, but it did address a few points. First, worker today are considered resources. What do you do with resources? Exploit them. The second is automation. As technology grows, the number of jobs for “organics” is going to diminish, probably at an exponential rate. Every nation on earth is going to have to face the reality that, one day, there will not be enough jobs. We are going to have to consider how we live a life where most people do not have employment.

Personally, I’m not offended. New Doctor, new writers, new directors, new show runner. They all take time to find their footing. Capaldi’s first season was weak, which was Moffat’s fault, IMO. I still consider Smith the weakest Doctor of the reboots (jury is still out on Jodie), as I find the buffoonish, goofball to lack the gravitas for the role. How can I take a guy in a fez seriously?

Troughton, both Bakers, Pertwee and McCoy all were quirky, and each was a jarring contrast to their predecessor. Heck, the most conventional, milquetoast portrayal was Davison, but look who he had to follow! No win, but as an actor, he was beloved in All Creatures Great and Small.

That said, I still like Smith and enjoy the episodes. He has risen in my esteem upon rewatch, but he’s still the weakest of the four.

Everyone is walking around it and not saying it, but I will. Jodie’s a woman. We’re not used to a woman in that role. Some may never be and some won’t even consider it. It’s different, and the gender change on top of regular regeneration is even more jarring. I know a lot of people liked Michelle Gomez in the Master role (not me, personally), but Jodie should not have to behave like a psychopath to have gravitas.

For those that can handle it, watch Broadchurch and what Jodie does in it to see the possibilities for Doctor Who. The writers and producers have done her no favors giving her 3 sidekicks, each with a backstory. They didn’t help when they had her give up and despair at getting the tardis back. That single scene did more to undermine her gravitas and credibility in the role....and so early in the role....than series runs of Fez obsessions ever did for Smith.

It’s a big show with a big history, and there is something in it for everyone. I still watched all of the Catherine Tate episodes and stuck with Capaldi all during the Clara-Pink soap opera. I will forever grumble about it, but I still love(d) the show.

Never offended by an opinion...

Unless it's a truly offensive opinion :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was having Eccleston withdrawals, so I watched Dalek. I don’t think any of the modern Doctors could have pulled off the intensity necessary to potray a character who was responsible for the death of two entire races (yes, we find out later that Gallifrey survived). Think I’ll watch Empty Child next.

Personally, I’m not offended. New Doctor, new writers, new directors, new show runner. They all take time to find their footing. Capaldi’s first season was weak, which was Moffat’s fault, IMO.
This is the majority of the problem, IMO. This is not just a new Doctor, it's an entirely new crew, period.
From what I'm seeing, the writers and directors haven't really solidified a vision of what they want from this series. There is reason to hope that there is a solid foundation there for them to build upon, if they can all get in line and move in a solid direction, but IMO, from what I've seen so far, they are drifting, trying this, trying that, but nothing really cohesive.
As for a female Doctor, I've said before that that will take getting used to. But I love and have been a big fan of several strong female characters before. If Jody has the chops, I'll do the same with her.
But you can't expect an actor, any actor, to find their footing and carry a series if those who are directing/producing can't figure out what direction they're moving in.
MHO

I have been trying be honest with myself about the whole female doctor thing. I think my issue with this doctor not having the presence/gravitas doesnt have anything about gender. I think ot is totally on the writing. She is written with a bit of uncertainty and a lack of confidence.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've not been happy about some of the writing, and this whole thing with three constant companions is not working out. They seem to be intent on doing a series of one-off episodes, and all these characters are too many mouths to feed for that. There is no foothold to the story. The Doctor is watered down.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I wonder if Chibnall is trying to make this show into something like Torchwood, i.e., a quasi-ensemble show. If so, that isn't flying, and it ain't gonna.

Also, I'm also curious about those who want no social commentary in the show. Not only has Doctor Who always had it as part of the show, it's integral to science fiction. Social commentary is what science fiction is all about. Granted, others have done it more artfully, and there are some bubble gum episodes of Doctor Who, but science fiction is like chili without chilies. It fills you up, but it does not satisfy.

Also, I'm also curious about those who want no social commentary in the show. Not only has Doctor Who always had it as part of the show, it's integral to science fiction. Social commentary is what science fiction is all about. Granted, others have done it more artfully, and there are some bubble gum episodes of Doctor Who, but science fiction is like chili without chilies. It fills you up, but it does not satisfy.

While social commentary is sometimes incorporated into science fiction I wouldn't agree that it is integral to science fiction. For me, I don't know that I oppose social commentary in the show so much as I am opposed to how it is being done. There is a way to do it deftly, cleverly and unobrusively. It's off-putting when they get so self-righteous, preachy, heavy handed and in your face. I don't want to made to feel like I'm being lectured. More and more this show seems to just be a vehicle to push the show maker's pet social agendas. It's a major drag and takes the fun out of the show.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't know that I oppose social commentary in the show so much as I am opposed to how it is being done.

I completely agree with you on that. They often all but stop the show in order to get on the soap box, and that is not working. I maintain that social commentary is integral to sci-fi, but there also integral is blending that commentary into a story (just like with any other form of entertainment includes that commentary). A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

I’ve noticed the same problem in other places. Whether it’s true (and it may be), writers are writing as if the audience has no capacity to analyze and digest whatever message may be included. Instead, they just say it. That’s like reading the Cliff Notes instead of the novel, i.e., it sucks.

Top Bottom