What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

I really want this to work. They should bring back Michelle Gomez and have a good Master vs Doctor story.

I was just thinking about Michelle Gomez the other day. For me, she seemed to have command of the role of Master from the very start and I liked her in the role. For me, Jodie Whittaker still seems to be trying to find her way and I'm not yet convinced that she is the right fit for the role.

I find myself watching old episodes of classic Dr Who more and more as this current season goes on. I'm finding little to get excited about with this current season so far.

the more I read this thread, the more I'm convinced that some of you are watching a completely different series.

I thought Demons of the Punjab was beautiful in every way - acting, music, plot.

the more I read this thread, the more I'm convinced that some of you are watching a completely different series.

I thought Demons of the Punjab was beautiful in every way - acting, music, plot.

I watched the episode again last night, and it was great. It provided a great opportunity to talk about Partition with my youngest, and the impact that it had on people at the time. It showed the impact on individual lives in a way that numbers can't. It showed what bravery is, and how being brave can have the worst consequences. It showed that we all have a responsibility to bear witness so that no one dies or suffers alone and forgotten.

I watched the episode again last night, and it was great. It provided a great opportunity to talk about Partition with my youngest, and the impact that it had on people at the time. It showed the impact on individual lives in a way that numbers can't. It showed what bravery is, and how being brave can have the worst consequences. It showed that we all have a responsibility to bear witness so that no one dies or suffers alone and forgotten.
Exactly.
If this is "preaching", let's have more please.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I watched the episode again last night, and it was great.

I'm glad you guys like the new show.

I'll be over here watching my Warriors Of The Deep DVD instead. That way we'll all be happy.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I'm there too {not watching} I use to look forward to the next episode and plan my time around it now if I 'm home I may or may not watch.Imho the writing stinks

Realizing there are gaps in my early NuWho watching.
Saw The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances and Father's Day for the first time (over last few days)
Roughly in that order of preference too.

It's amazing how much the production and effects quality have increased since those early days.

I'm not watching a different series, I'm just coming away with a different perspective.

It seemed to me that all they wanted to do was tell the India/Pakistan/wedding story. Pretty much the only thing that made it a Doctor Who show was forcing/shoe-horning the Doctor, companions and aliens into the story. For the most part they were all extraneous and the story they wanted to tell would stand even if they weren't in the show at all. Maybe I'm different than some others here but this type of thing isn't the reason why I watch the show. I was bored and disappointed.

Realizing there are gaps in my early NuWho watching.
Saw The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances and Father's Day for the first time (over last few days)
Roughly in that order of preference too.

It's amazing how much the production and effects quality have increased since those early days.

The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances are incredible. They’re one of the reasons why I wish Eccleston didn’t get shafted and had a couple more seasons to play the role.

I'm not watching a different series, I'm just coming away with a different perspective.

It seemed to me that all they wanted to do was tell the India/Pakistan/wedding story. Pretty much the only thing that made it a Doctor Who show was forcing/shoe-horning the Doctor, companions and aliens into the story. For the most part they were all extraneous and the story they wanted to tell would stand even if they weren't in the show at all. Maybe I'm different than some others here but this type of thing isn't the reason why I watch the show. I was bored and disappointed.
Shoehorning companions/doctor/aliens in is basically every Dr Who story no matter the setting.
Whether it’s Vincent Van Gogh, Rosa Parks or Queen Thalira of Peladon . Whether it’s Punjab during Partition, Dickensian London or Nerva Station .

They’re all stories with the Doctor inserted. That’s the point of the show.

Shoehorning companions/doctor/aliens in is basically every Dr Who story no matter the setting.
Whether it’s Vincent Van Gogh, Rosa Parks or Queen Thalira of Peladon . Whether it’s Punjab during Partition, Dickensian London or Nerva Station .

But to me, there's a distinction between a story about the Doctor that features others and a story about others or the sociopolitical topic of the week that features the Doctor. In my opinion, this wasn't a story about the Doctor. The Doctor et. al. were afterthoughts and ultimately, disposable and unnecessary.

I really, really want to disagree with you but I can't. You have a point. Aside from the episodes that are entirely about the Doctor's personal drama, of course.
But to me, there's a distinction between a story about the Doctor that features others and a story about others or the sociopolitical topic of the week that features the Doctor. In my opinion, this wasn't a story about the Doctor. The Doctor et. al. were afterthoughts and ultimately, disposable and unnecessary.
You also have a point, and I agree. When you can completely remove the Doctor and their companions without changing the story it's probably ("Blink," anyone?) not a good episode of Doctor Who.

I'm not saying this part of history should be forgotten or taboo for media to touch upon. However, it's disappointing to see Doctor Who stories playing second fiddle to messages about morality and "never forget the really bad things that have happened in real human history." Once in a while is okay, I guess. But constantly? No, not at all.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just saw Demons of Punjab. While it dealt with an historical event, I feel they approached it very well. The best episode so far (in the new series), IMO. It showed what happens when dogma gets in the way of humanity. I give it an A plus.

I appear to be out of sync with almost everyone on the internet.
Episodes I thought were good, they hate. Episodes I didn't love are bestest evah.

Unlike the rest of the world, I thought Kerblam was boring. Reminded me too much of the 12/Bill emoji-bots one. Starting to get a feeling of smallness, where in the past we had epic (even if some of the epics were overly convoluted or ridiculous). The stand-alone stories don't help, it just doesn't feel...big.

My favorite part of Kerblam was the device they used with the popping of the bubble wrap. I thought it was the most clever and original part of the show. This could have been a straight sci-fi show but then they got all preachy about workers rights and conditions. When the Doctor threatened that the company would have to answer to her if they didn't meet whatever demand she proposed it really fell flat for me. I didn't think she pulled it off - I didn't buy it or believe it. I think we're touching on the (lack of) command and/or presence thing here again. Overall I give the episode a "meh". I didn't dislike it but I didn't especially like it either.

I'm pretty sure none of the bad guys ever backed off when any of the Doctors warned them that Earth/character/planet/galaxy/universe was under his/her protection.

Top Bottom