What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
download.pngI watched it , not impressed, starting to root for the Master

Sometimes that happened with the old episodes, too.

Submitted for your disapproval: Since we've had Joker, why not Master? A spin-off series with the Master as the central character.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Watched the first two episodes and I enjoyed them. The third was a little disappointing. Didn’t grab me like the first two.

Maybe now Colin will stop being the butt of all the Whovian jokes.

Odd. Colin Baker is one of my favorite Dr. Who actors. OTOH, the very best acting I recall in a Dr. Who episode was the one where it was strongly implied that the John Pertwee Doctor was going to propose to his traveling companion, but she and another fellow announced their engagement. He presented the engagement present as a wedding gift, gave his well wishes, and quietly left the celebration, driving back alone.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I liked the last episode. It was hardly great. In fact, it felt like an attempt to remake the Van Gogh episode, but not as well done. Still it was fun to watch and didn't make me groan like Ep. 3 did.

I'm not surprised at the low ratings for the episode. In its defense, maybe some folks were watching the NFC conference championship game. Still, I cannot even imagine how many turned off the third episode and couldn't be bothered to come back. That thing was just garbage.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
OTOH, the very best acting I recall in a Dr. Who episode was the one where it was strongly implied that the John Pertwee Doctor was going to propose to his traveling companion, but she and another fellow announced their engagement. He presented the engagement present as a wedding gift, gave his well wishes, and quietly left the celebration, driving back alone.

The Green Death.

I liked that show and really liked the ending you describe. It was a long time since I watched it, and don't recall ever noticing the "Doctor proposes to Jo" potential. To me it was more of Jo leaving her "father figure" and moving on to a husband, and a reminder that the Doctor's life is, ultimately, a lonely one where companions are ultimately transient for him.

I did a little digging and found that Jo Martin who played Ruth/mystery Doctor is only credited with one episode (Fugitive of the Judoon) of Doctor Who on her IMDb profile. So they're going to drop a bomb of a Doctor not known before now and then carry on as if it never happened without addressing it further? Is this just a tease for more to come next season?

I also see in Entertainment Weekly where Jodie Whittaker states she'll be back for a third season.

Quite enjoyed the latest episode. Got to see some of my home city (Cardiff in Wales) and my adopted one, Gloucester! I walked over where the Judoon were doing their thing outside the cathedral earlier today.

Gareth

Tesla - a good , fairly solid episode. Nothing to write home about, but entertaining
Judoon - Absolutely brilliant in every way. Surprise cameo! Surprise twist! Story arc! Loved it.

So, thoughts on the new Doctor? How does this fit into the established regeneration cycle? Is this real or will it be explained away some how? Does this serve and advance the Doctor Who legacy or is this just another stunt pandering to a woke agenda? (There's stories all over the internet crowing about "breaking barriers" and "first black woman".) Does the introduction of a female AND black Doctor lessen JW's Doctor and kind of push her into the background? I actually prefer Ruth's version of the Doctor. She's more commanding, decisive and dominant making JW's Doctor look weak in comparison.

Top Bottom